Online programs, Western Governors U vs Southern New Hampshire U

Started by Vkw10, June 07, 2021, 12:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

Anyone familiar with WGU or SNHU, particularly their online business programs?

A distant relative has asked me for insight into Western Governors U and Southern New Hampshire U. Relative is in her early forties, has always worked low wage jobs, recently finished GED. Her goal is an accounting degree, so she eventually can get a job that doesn't require being on her feet all day.

Both schools are ACBSP accredited, so either degree should meet her stated goal. She's beneficiary of a trust that can only be used for tuition, so expense is less important than scheduling. She will continue working to support herself, which makes flexible scheduling essential. WGU and SNHU Online appeal to her because they're 100% online and asynchronous.

They both have slick websites, which makes relative suspicious that they're too good to be true. So, does anyone know anything about either program?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

jimbogumbo

Is relative in a state that allows state aid for WGU? WGU can be okay price-wise if that is allowed AND the student is really focused. Their pricing structure looks good, but if you aren't committed the cost rises. From what I've seen of courses they are, shall we say, not rigorous? In my state they don't even submit the undergrad courses that would be eligible for the state-wide transfer program. For us, that means we and several other publics don't accept their College Algebra, or any of the typical calculus sequences.

No first hand knowledge, but I inferred from a colleague who was a fervent SNHU fan that I would feel the same way about them.

So, count me as not a fan, and definitely add include UoPh, Purdue Global, Liberty and Grand Canyon on that list of notes.

Hibush

I think WGU and SNHU would consider a person like you describe ripe for the picking. Great for their bottom line. If your relative is interested in an education that can really change her life to become a well respected accountant, using the trust fund effectively to that end, other institutions would serve her better.

A local school with an accounting program connected to local business would provide more value, not just te piece of paper.

mamselle

Another reason the old forum would have been useful.

I think Octo had a great post on the difference between the accounting accreditation programs.

I do not remember at all for certain, but I think ACBSP might have been the less rigorous one, although anyone with background could probably clarify that better than I can.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

Quote from: Vkw10 on June 07, 2021, 12:20:57 PM
Anyone familiar with WGU or SNHU, particularly their online business programs?

A distant relative has asked me for insight into Western Governors U and Southern New Hampshire U. Relative is in her early forties, has always worked low wage jobs, recently finished GED. Her goal is an accounting degree, so she eventually can get a job that doesn't require being on her feet all day.

Both schools are ACBSP accredited, so either degree should meet her stated goal. She's beneficiary of a trust that can only be used for tuition, so expense is less important than scheduling. She will continue working to support herself, which makes flexible scheduling essential. WGU and SNHU Online appeal to her because they're 100% online and asynchronous.

They both have slick websites, which makes relative suspicious that they're too good to be true. So, does anyone know anything about either program?

We have had students try to transfer in credit from WGU into my academic unit's program, and we did not accept the credits. I have not had any experience with SNHU.

Quote from: jimbogumbo on June 07, 2021, 02:34:26 PM

Is relative in a state that allows state aid for WGU? WGU can be okay price-wise if that is allowed AND the student is really focused. Their pricing structure looks good, but if you aren't committed the cost rises. From what I've seen of courses they are, shall we say, not rigorous? In my state they don't even submit the undergrad courses that would be eligible for the state-wide transfer program. For us, that means we and several other publics don't accept their College Algebra, or any of the typical calculus sequences.

No first hand knowledge, but I inferred from a colleague who was a fervent SNHU fan that I would feel the same way about them.

So, count me as not a fan, and definitely add include UoPh, Purdue Global, Liberty and Grand Canyon on that list of notes.

Although disingenuous, at least with Purdue Global, a student can mistakenly lop off the "Global" and say they went to "Purdue."

dismalist

QuoteWe have had students try to transfer in credit from WGU into my academic unit's program, and we did not accept the credits.

I thought that accreditation ensured credit transferability. Am I wrong in believing that?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

fleabite

Are there any community colleges offering accounting/business degrees in your relative's region? Night or weekend courses might be available. An associate's degree with transferable credits could get her started on a four-year accounting degree.

spork

Quote from: dismalist on June 07, 2021, 06:19:22 PM
QuoteWe have had students try to transfer in credit from WGU into my academic unit's program, and we did not accept the credits.

I thought that accreditation ensured credit transferability. Am I wrong in believing that?

Yes. Each university, or program within a university, often determines what and how credits earned at other institutions might be  transferable. A legacy of local control of education and inconsistent standards.

The friend should check with a four-year public about its undergraduate accounting programs, what community college courses will result in transfer credit, and CPA exam pass rates. Community colleges and four-year publics have a lot of online courses, and many on-campus courses are outside of the 9-5 M-F work week.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

lightning

Quote from: dismalist on June 07, 2021, 06:19:22 PM

They transfer to my university as undistributed credits. It's up to the faculty of each degree program (or the faculty's designate) to determine if the WGU credits (or any credits) apply to their academic unit's degree program. The faculty from my academic unit's degree program did not approve the transfer of credits from WGU.

Accreditation ensuring credit transferability to another university is one of the implicit lies of accredited online schools.

kiana

The people that I've known who did WGU and were happy with it were people who were already employed in the field, but roadblocked due to lack of a bachelor's degree. For someone in that situation it can be great; one of them finished in 6 months which is what he needed to get promoted in his IT job.

I would say that for someone who needed to learn things from scratch and had recently gotten a GED online, weekend, or evening courses through a community college would probably work better and cost less.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on June 07, 2021, 04:00:12 PM
Another reason the old forum would have been useful.

I think Octo had a great post on the difference between the accounting accreditation programs.

I do not remember at all for certain, but I think ACBSP might have been the less rigorous one, although anyone with background could probably clarify that better than I can.

M.

mamselle: you are correct. ACSB is a more rigorous than ACBSP.

mamselle

Thanks.

I also just recalled thinking how cute and apposite the SNHU posters were in the subways, awhile ago (at least a year, obviously...).

That in itself made me immediately suspicious...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Thanks, everyone. I knew ACSB was the more difficult accreditation to obtain, but hadn't thought about the transferability of credits. I'm not sure it will matter much, but I'll point it out. I'll also suggest again that she looks at community college programs. I suspect an associate's degree from local CC would suit her just fine.

It seems strange to me, but this particular relative is actively opposed to a career with opportunities for advancement. As she puts it, she doesn't want a job where she has to stress out. Go to work, work steadily for 8 hours, then clock out and forget the job, that's her goal. Her main concern is physical demands of no education required jobs as she moves from early forties to mid sixties.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

jerseyjay

Quote from: Vkw10 on June 08, 2021, 07:08:09 PM
It seems strange to me, but this particular relative is actively opposed to a career with opportunities for advancement. As she puts it, she doesn't want a job where she has to stress out. Go to work, work steadily for 8 hours, then clock out and forget the job, that's her goal. Her main concern is physical demands of no education required jobs as she moves from early forties to mid sixties.

To be honest, I respect this attitude. I mean, if one is able to find such a job, and survive on its earnings, it makes sense if there are other things outside of work (family, church, sports, painting, writing, music, hobbies, etc.) that gives one's life meaning. In fact, when I was a permanent adjunct, this was just the sort of job I wanted, so I could make my living and then spend what time I had left over teaching a class here and there and reading/writing history. I met many people who are highly educated but take decently-paying but dead-end jobs to do things like play in a band, act, write novels, raise children, etc.

I think that people often put too much of an emphasis on "advancement," when advancement has no inherent purpose if somebody is making enough money and does not need a more interesting job.

Of course, I have no idea if accounting is such a job. The accountants I know tend to work long hours, although I do know several people who work in related jobs who meet this description.

Sorry to get off subject.....