News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy Independence Day! (are you feeling independent?)

Started by clean, July 04, 2021, 10:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Happy July 4!

I hope that you have great weather and are able to spend time with family and loved ones!

I will be going to in laws' house to take charge of the grill!  No youngins, so we will be having 'thick cut' steaks, baked potatoes, sautéed squash, and corn on the cob.  I have heard a rumor of ice cream! 

(Im providing the steaks, and Im bringing my own grill, so I am certain that it will be cooked to my liking!!)

How Will/Did you spend July 4?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

sinenomine

I spent my July 4th (and now most of the 5th) happily working on research. Now that the weather on my neck of the woods has dried out, I'm heading to my patio with a tall drink and a thick novel.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Puget

It rained before and after the fireworks, but fortuitously was completely clear during the fireworks and for long enough on either end for people to arrive and depart dryly. The town put on quite a show-- I think they must have saved up the ones they didn't use last year (or at least the $ they didn't spend on them) and doubled down! All the things that would normally annoy me (crowds, kids screaming, teens horsing around) were surprisingly delightful after the last year and a half.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

We grilled pork ribs (that were marinated in garlic, ginger, jalapeno, brown sugar and other spices), ate potato salad and corn on the cob. It was just us- no crazy family... and it was nice.

Edit: I forgot, we also had salad.

apl68

Went to Mom and Dad's house on Saturday.  We all went to their church with my brother (who was in from out of state) on Sunday.  Otherwise it was a quiet day at their home.  Dad vetoed going to see a fireworks show that evening in a neighboring county, due to his aversion to getting stuck in big crowds of people and cars.  But he made us all Coca-Cola ice cream floats that evening, in the parfait glasses kept for just that purpose.  It was great.  We watched the fireworks in D.C. on TV.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mahagonny

A good day, and I'm glad the weather stunk. That meant fewer fireworks, which makes the dogs freak out. I am patriotic. It's not a matter of that. It's just that once you've seen fireworks you know what they do. Like watching the same movie repeatedly.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on July 06, 2021, 07:30:07 AM
We watched the fireworks in D.C. on TV.
I enjoyed the annual "A Capitol Fourth" concert & fireworks too!  A few of the neighbors set off sparklers on our street.

lightning

This year, I remembered to grill the vegetarian foods before the meat.

Sun_Worshiper

We hosted a get together with a few friends, which was fun. I probably ate and drank a little too much, but what can I say? That's how I like to celebrate.

There were quite a few fireworks in my neighborhood in the evening and my dog was absolutely terrified. I literally thought she might have a heart attack. Next year we're going to have to figure out a way to shield her from the sounds, or to desensitize her in the meantime.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 07, 2021, 06:08:34 PM
We hosted a get together with a few friends, which was fun. I probably ate and drank a little too much, but what can I say? That's how I like to celebrate.

There were quite a few fireworks in my neighborhood in the evening and my dog was absolutely terrified. I literally thought she might have a heart attack. Next year we're going to have to figure out a way to shield her from the sounds, or to desensitize her in the meantime.

Prescription trazodone. Helps some.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on July 07, 2021, 06:11:19 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 07, 2021, 06:08:34 PM

Prescription trazodone. Helps some.

I appreciate the tip. I'll ask the vet about it next time we go in. It was really heartbreaking to see her so distraught.