Author Topic: how much to chip in for department administrator  (Read 393 times)

Morden

Re: how much to chip in for department administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 07:46:34 AM »
I will also say THE ANSWER IS $20.  AS you work longer, and have stronger relationships with people there, the amount may go up, but it really wont go down.
This.

rabbitandfox23

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 08:19:35 AM »
Thanks, everyone! Your posts have been really helpful. I just started my teaching career and had no clue, so very glad to have this advice.

fishbrains

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
Our department (CC Humanities) gives $10 each for these occasions, but we have a 20+ person department. We don't ask adjuncts to donate. 

For major events (adjunct's home burned down, someone adopted a large sibling group of kids, etc.) people often give more for the collection, depending on how they feel.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 10:10:24 AM »
We generally chip in $20/person in my Dept.

glendower

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
I think you should ask the department chair, as these things can vary by region and culture. I would expect less from junior faculty, possibly more from senior faculty, depending on what I knew of personal circumstances (salary compression is a thing, and some senior people make less than some juniors). Size of department also matters: 50 people kicking in $10 each adds up to the same amount as 10 who each give $50. Clean's suggestion of what to write in the card is very nice!

little bongo

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 01:21:23 PM »
A nice example of what I had hoped this forum would be since about 2009 or 2010 or so. Everyone has contributed some cool life-experience advice. Kudos all around.

Ruralguy

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 01:35:39 PM »
Most people who carry cash just have multiples of 20 and a few stray bills, maybe.
So, its easiest to ask for 20 and expect 20 from each person. Some people who either worked with the person more closely, were around for a long time or know they have a higher salary and can give more will give more, but I wouldn't really expect it. Don't expect the collector to have any change. If you want to give a smaller amount or any amount that doesn't correspond to bills you actually have on hand, just write a check.  This all going to depend on the size of the dept. most of all.

mahagonny

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 04:23:26 AM »
A nice example of what I had hoped this forum would be since about 2009 or 2010 or so. Everyone has contributed some cool life-experience advice. Kudos all around.

same to you, buddy