News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

how much to chip in for department administrator

Started by rabbitandfox23, July 19, 2021, 07:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morden

QuoteI will also say THE ANSWER IS $20.  AS you work longer, and have stronger relationships with people there, the amount may go up, but it really wont go down.
This.

rabbitandfox23

Thanks, everyone! Your posts have been really helpful. I just started my teaching career and had no clue, so very glad to have this advice.

fishbrains

Our department (CC Humanities) gives $10 each for these occasions, but we have a 20+ person department. We don't ask adjuncts to donate. 

For major events (adjunct's home burned down, someone adopted a large sibling group of kids, etc.) people often give more for the collection, depending on how they feel.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

glendower

I think you should ask the department chair, as these things can vary by region and culture. I would expect less from junior faculty, possibly more from senior faculty, depending on what I knew of personal circumstances (salary compression is a thing, and some senior people make less than some juniors). Size of department also matters: 50 people kicking in $10 each adds up to the same amount as 10 who each give $50. Clean's suggestion of what to write in the card is very nice!

little bongo

A nice example of what I had hoped this forum would be since about 2009 or 2010 or so. Everyone has contributed some cool life-experience advice. Kudos all around.

Ruralguy

Most people who carry cash just have multiples of 20 and a few stray bills, maybe.
So, its easiest to ask for 20 and expect 20 from each person. Some people who either worked with the person more closely, were around for a long time or know they have a higher salary and can give more will give more, but I wouldn't really expect it. Don't expect the collector to have any change. If you want to give a smaller amount or any amount that doesn't correspond to bills you actually have on hand, just write a check.  This all going to depend on the size of the dept. most of all.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on July 20, 2021, 01:21:23 PM
A nice example of what I had hoped this forum would be since about 2009 or 2010 or so. Everyone has contributed some cool life-experience advice. Kudos all around.

same to you, buddy