Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movies you have seen 10 or more times

Started by onthefringe, July 21, 2021, 05:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgher

Quote from: clean on July 21, 2021, 08:10:24 PM
Paint Your Wagon (also very good!)

I agree! Though many people would not, including Clint Eastwood. Speaking of which, The Outlaw Josey Wales is on my list, but my wife hates it and won't let me watch it with her.

Blazing Saddles

Wahoo Redux

American Werewolf in London

Amadeus

Zodiac

The Shining

Dumb and Dumber

Citizen Kane

The Squid and the Whale

The Savages

About Schmidt

Election

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
----read the original draft of the script online.  Ferris starts out as a pot-smoking delinquent, not the tidy-white preppy he became.

All are classics of their genres.  Some are overlooked.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: clean on July 21, 2021, 08:10:24 PM

Porky's  (it was held over for 13 weeks!!)

The original Star wars trilogy

Dragonslayer

Yes!!!

I am embarrassed by my affection for Porky's (my wife just rolls her eyes when I mention the movie, but hey, I was like 15 at the time it came out---what can I say!?) and Dragonslayer is an overlooked masterpiece.

clean

Tremors (Kevin Beacon & Reba! ) 

not sure how I forgot about that.

from the 50s I ve probably seen "Them"  that many times, and The Thing from another World (sometimes just called The Thing) (with James Arness) and "The Blob"

Fast Times at Ridgemont High missed my origial list too.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Sun_Worshiper

A few documentaries that I've seen (too?) many times:

The Fog of War

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Project Nim

Caracal

Hoosiers (its such an oddly morose sports movie, weirdly compelling)

Star Wars (IV, V and VI)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Princess Bride

The Fugitive

Back to the Future

North By Northwest

Grosse Pointe Blank

Moana

bio-nonymous

A few off the  top of my head that jump out for me:
Animal House (>30x)-- somewhat of a documentary for my first foray in higher ed.
Star Wars (9x in theater during original release, then a few times since.)--as a kid it changed my life!
Blues Brothers (20-ish x)-- just a classic--love the music.
Apocalypse Now (at least 10x, lost count)--"I Love the smell of napalm in the morning"
From Dusk to Dawn (>15x): campy, yet best vampire flick ever...
For A Few Dollars More (10+): Classic spaghetti western, classic Eastwood.
Conan the Barbarian (~10-11): Grew up reading Robert Howard--loved the cinematic version--Arnold made a good Conan...
Caddyshack, Stripes (>10x): Bill Murray...

onthefringe

Picking up from others again: yes to Casablance yes to Raiders of the Lost Ark yes to the original Star Wars trilogy (because they are awesome and/or from the 80s)

Not sure it counts, but the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment of The Pumaman. (Because MST3K at Thanksgiving is another fringe family tradition and that's one of my favorites.)

saffie

Ditto on the original Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones movies and The Wizard of Oz. Also The Bourne Identity, Mission Impossible and their sequels. I haven't seen this in a while, but Thelma and Louise probably also makes the list.

mamselle

Repetitions R not me....at least, not generally.

Maybe the Wizard of Oz, but more likely only (?only?) 5x until I outgrew it as a kid. I hid under the theater seat the first time I saw it (first year it was out, possibly) when the green face of the witch appeared onscreen, I remember that very clearly. I did outgrow that response, as I recall.

3-4 times:
   Triplettes de Belleville (I took three different groups of friends for my birthday the year it came out to see it with me;
       I have also watched it at least once online in full since then, and in parts here and there)

Auberge Espagnole Twice in moviehouses, once in full online, maybe again in bits and pieces because I enjoyed specific scenes.

Maybe Casablanca, but I think I've really only seen it in full twice; seen various scenes from time to time online.

White Christmas A family favorite, but I fatigued out of it, too, much as I admired the dancing and singing, as well as the acting.

When you're a musician who gets asked to play a lot of things over and over you develop a low tolerance level for repetitions of certain kinds of performance, maybe.

I've been known to walk out of malls, whether I've finished my holiday shopping or not, if they start playing "Chestnuts Roasting" because I know I'll start screaming....and I like the song, even like performing it (if I can ever remember that one chord transition and play it properly) but I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT AGAIN!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

These are all such great movies.

I forgot John Carpenter's The Thing.  I have seen that probably 30 times.

AmLitHist

Hi, my name is ALH, and I'm an old movie (preferably B&W) addict, to the level of Robert Osborne and Ben Mankowicz.  (If I'd only majored in film studies/history, maybe I could have monetized my addiction).

I've seen most of the Golden Age classics 10+ times (many of them embarrassingly far more than 10 times), and nearly every film done by Clark Gable, James Cagney, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck, Katharine Hepburn, Gary Cooper, and James Stewart, plus a few others.  The same's true of the catalog of Preston Sturges, Frank Capra, Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin, George Stevens, and Orson Welles. Buster Keaton was an absolute genius, too.  A few very favorite, favorites (i.e. probably 30+ views):

--The General                                                                        --Bringing Up Baby
--Ball of Fire                                                                          --The Lady Eve
--The Little Foxes                                                                  --The Magnificent Ambersons
--Public Enemy                                                                      --Little Caesar
--The Maltese Falcon                                                             --Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
--Meet John Doe                                                                   --Citizen Kane
--The Grapes of Wrath                                                         --East of Eden
--Giant                                                                                 --Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
--All About Eve                                                                     --White Heat
--The Postman Always Rings Twice                                      --Double Indemnity
--The Best Years of Our Lives     
                                         --ALL of the Thin Man movies
--The Women                                                                     --It Happened One Night

That's just a very short "short list."  (Probably pretty revealing, too:  I like strong, ballsy women; solid gangster and noir films; social commentaries; and good writing--plus, it would seem I have way too much free time!) And I still find something new in all of these whenever I watch, even after so many viewings.

Of the "new"(er) movies on my list, the ones I'll never pass up, even if just flipping through cable and catching a scene:
--Ferris Bueller's Day Off
--Indiana Jones:  Raiders, Temple of Doom, and Last Crusade
--Die Hard (and it IS a Christmas movie, and you won't convince me otherwise)

Tee_Bee

* Animal House -- Filmed at my Alma Mater, so it showed on campus in the fall every year. Forty years ago. This movie is funny, and I have it memorized, but, wow, it does not age well at all. Racist, date rapey, alcohol soaked, etc. They showed it to some students a few years ago and asked them what they thought, and they were deeply conflicted.

* Field of Dreams -- File under "Movies I can't watch with others in the room." When Ray asks his dad for a catch, and then the camera pulls back to all the cars driving to field...I get a bit verklempt just thinking about it. I've been to the real field a few times. It helps that I love Iowa.

* What's Eating Gilbert Grape -- Speaking of Iowa (filmed in Texas, alas). Also one of the sweetest movies ever. Leo DiCaprio is amazing, but also Julliette Lewis, Johnny Depp...and Mary Steenburgen, who is great.

* Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (aka Amélie). -- Another truly sweet movie. The scene near the end where Dufayel tells Amelie "So, my little Amélie, you don't have bones of glass," is wonderful.

* Diva -- My favorite French film. So many plot twists, some deeply funny lines.

mamselle

You should definitely teach a course.

I'd be very interested in seeing the syllabus!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Several movies, but the one story to tell is one time I was really stressed out and for some reason a friend of mine had Oh God! on video tape. I must have watched it 10 times that weekend. I don't really know why it made me feel better.

Wow, and she put up with me...