News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy Labor Day! (Covid safe) Plans?

Started by clean, September 03, 2021, 03:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I hope that everyone has a Great Labor Day off.

We just finished week 2 of classes.  Some of you will be Starting Classes next week, I would guess! 

Any plans?

I MAY go to campus to work on a paper.  I have one that needs to be reworked/updated and finally submitted to a journal!  Otherwise, my bride informs me that we have been invited to eat at her parents' house someday this weekend.  I am not yet authorized to know the details (outside my decision level).

(The 'decision level'..... I make all decisions that involve spending more than $1,000,000.  She makes the rest.  I have not yet had to make any decisions, BUT I stand ready!!)

88 days until the term ends! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

We plan to chill out with the plumber when he fixes our faucet. I suppose we could do it, but we just don't want to. There may be some grilling of meat and yard work.

Week #2 also ended at my campus.

88 days? In that time Mercury will have made one revolution around the Sun.

clean

Quote88 days? In that time Mercury will have made one revolution around the Sun.

I knew that it Felt Like a Year!!!

News just said that the temp here will be 97 (109 after heat index) on Monday!

So sort of feels like Mercury too!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Sun_Worshiper

Cleaning the house and doing yard work!

But also don't have to teach on Monday, so that will be nice.

mahagonny

Are we allowed to get political? On Labor Day I think of collective bargaining. It's been a bad year for unions as they now have one black eye over their love of something called 'CRT' and another over too many making a stink about having to go back in and teach face to face. Both well deserved.  Neither of which repesents consensus among members. The tyranny of the majority I guess.
This is the first Labor Day in recent years that I have not been especially proud to be union.

Hibush

Vkw10

I might deal with my overflowing basket of file-for-tax-season paperwork, between pool visits. I might not.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Puget

I am in possession of 20 lbs of "seconds" peaches, ordered from my CSA. Peaches wait for no woman, so I shall be canning peach jam and peach halves.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

I give my private students the week off. Their schedules go wacky when they're all returning to school at different times, so sanity is preserved for all by letting the dust settle and then starting afresh the second week.

So, I have not just a weekend but a week + a few days to get more writing, walking, and housework done. (I'm usually too tied up to do spring cleaning, so that obligation is translated to fall.)

I plan to lie low, stay put, cook good stuff (just made a tasty shepherd's pie), read, write, etc.

I might catch up with a few friends by phone but I'm not going anywhere, looking forward to rest, relaxed work, and a minimum of demands.

An un-labored Labor Day, perhaps...

M.

ETA: @puget: Need any small marmalade/jam jars with screw-top lids? I have about a dozen...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

In whose interests is it to start Fall semesters before Labor Day?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

sinenomine

I'm taking care of two horse farms for people who are away for the holiday; just spent a couple hours feeding and mucking. But the weather is gorgeous, so being outdoors is no burden.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Quote from: sinenomine on September 04, 2021, 04:00:32 AM
I'm taking care of two horse farms for people who are away for the holiday; just spent a couple hours feeding and mucking. But the weather is gorgeous, so being outdoors is no burden.

Want any help?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

At work like usual this Saturday morning.  Too much to do today to go anywhere.  After church tomorrow morning I plan to make the two+ hour drive to Mom and Dad's house and spend the night and Monday there.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on September 03, 2021, 07:30:39 PM
I am in possession of 20 lbs of "seconds" peaches, ordered from my CSA. Peaches wait for no woman, so I shall be canning peach jam and peach halves.

Yum!!!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.