News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Saw Yes, God, Yes tonight. It was a great coming-of-age film.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

We saw Get Duked! last night. It was fantastic. The night before, we watched That Sinking Feeling, which was... ok.
I know it's a genus.

spork

Watched the first half of Patriots Day (2016) and so far it's been far better than I expected in terms of pacing and acting. Jimmy O. Yang has a brilliant scene as Dun Yeng when he's carjacked and kidnapped. I would have preferred a United 93-style film but Hollywood has to have its star vehicles; this one isn't as nearly as bad as it could have been.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

engineer_adrift

The spouse and I watched Made in Italy in our home theater last night.  It was pretty good ( especially if you like panoramic shots of Tuscany)! A widowed painter (Liam Neeson) and his son (Michael Richardson) repair an estranged relationship as they contemplate the sale of their long abandoned villa in Tuscany.  It is a bit poignant in that Liam is Michael's father in real life, and that Natasha Richardson (spouse/mother) died in 2009. 

We liked it. 

EA
Hugs, E_A

Parasaurolophus

Saw The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain tonight, and it was great. Just like Waking Ned Devine or La Grande Séduction.
I know it's a genus.

Economizer

Saw Kajilionaire last night. Pretty large seating area with just me and another weirdo about 15 rows up from me [thank goodness]. It was truly an art film with numerous deep meanings that I, personally, by far, did not "get". If there was a clear message it was probably that folks should get out of Los Angeles and move somewhere safe. John Lithgow was pretty good in his role.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

clean

Father of the Bride III (ish)?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/how-to-watch-father-of-the-bride-3-new-mini-movie-with-steve-martin-and-other-original-cast/ar-BB19qH4R?li=BBnbfcL

Has anyone seen this 'movie' yet?  I couldnt really follow how I can see it.  IS it available on NetFlix, or was it a 'performance' at one time (and has htat time passed)?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mythbuster

Father of the Bride III is a 20 minute skit on You Tube. It's a fundraiser for world central kitchen. It's cute enough, but enough time has passed that I would have appreciated name cards for the characters that were babies in Part II.

Larimar

Mr. Larimar and I and the cats are re-watching The Lord of the Rings. Just started The Two Towers tonight. I love those films. I love the books even more. Hard to believe the movie of Fellowship is closing in on 20 years old!

And yes, the cats are watching with us.

hmaria1609

Quote from: Larimar on September 28, 2020, 04:52:41 PM
Mr. Larimar and I and the cats are re-watching The Lord of the Rings. Just started The Two Towers tonight. I love those films. I love the books even more. Hard to believe the movie of Fellowship is closing in on 20 years old!

And yes, the cats are watching with us.
Wow, that long! I was in college at the time. Theatrical or extended versions? I've seen both.

Larimar

Extended versions. :)

Larimar

Morden

QuoteAnd yes, the cats are watching with us.
Can you tell what parts they are interested in?

Larimar

I'm not sure. They might favor the action scenes and the panoramas when the camera is moving really fast because there's a lot of motion on the screen for them to watch.

Either that or they're fascinated by deep timeless themes of the story and the dynamic character arcs that show edifying truths about the human (and elf, dwarf, hobbit, Ent, and Istari) spirit!

Larimar

Parasaurolophus

We saw the original Ghostbusters on Friday, and the 2016 remake on Saturday. The remake is way, way better. The original is boring and stupid and entirely devoid of a storyworld. It's a sketch with special effects and bad jokes that weren't especially good even back then. The remake is consistently funny, not very boring (apart from the fighting at the end), and features a relatively rich story world complete with rationales for events and half-decently sketched characters.

I want to re-watch Alien, which is one of my absolute favs. (Probably tied with John Carpenter's The Thing, which I also want to re-watch.) We'll see if my partner's in the mood for it tonight.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

My department played 'Call my bluff' and then we watched Arrival* with students as a sort of 'support morale for the poor kids stuck in isolation' event. We screenshared over Zoom and had a live chat going at the same time. It worked surprisingly well once the screensharer figured out how to share the sound properly. That is such a good movie! We made noises at the end about starting a departmental SF movie club/reading group thing, and I hope that it will actually happen. It might. There is a core of very friendly, social people in my department, and, oddly, I enjoy being on Zoom calls with them.

The next movie will probably be Stargate. I watched that when I was 10 (or so) and remember loving it.