Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 16630 times)

ab_grp

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • CHE Posts: 7,653
Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »
We watched I am Mother with Hilary Swank and Rose Byrne and others.  It's a post-apocalyptic story about a young girl raised by a robot mother.  I don't want to give too much away, because it is a suspenseful tale and one that I didn't feel as though I understood completely.  Part of the reason is because the story has a lot going on, but I also apparently ordered the German version by mistake.  Fortunately, there is an English language option (but no English subtitles) with the actual actors (not dubbed, though I guess you could expect that since they are not German, as far as I know).  But there were some in-movie captions that were in German that we couldn't parse.  I just read a Wikipedia article about it, which confirmed my suspicion that some of the information shared in those captions was important for our understanding.  We both enjoyed it and thought it was well done, in any case.  Lots to think about.

Sun_Worshiper

Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2021, 03:45:18 PM »
Tenet

First, let's be clear that Christopher Nolan is the most important mainstream director working today. He is the only person in this era of remakes, sequels, and "extended universes" making blank check concept blockbusters. And there is a lot to like about Tenet: The action is incredible, the concept is neat, the performances are very good, and there are some astonishing individual scenes (and the soundtrack slaps). Unfortunately, the sum of those parts is an overstuffed, incoherent, and emotionally empty film. I still must recommend Tenet for all of the good things about it, but overall it doesn't work.

B-