school shooting

Started by kaysixteen, December 03, 2021, 11:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: mahagonny on December 05, 2021, 07:39:17 PM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on December 04, 2021, 09:11:57 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 04, 2021, 01:35:03 PM
Quote from: mamselle on December 04, 2021, 11:23:55 AM
And your last sentence just resonated in particular--because it is boys, isn't it?

That's not rhetorical, but a question about the factual situation...are there actually any, let alone many, instances of female shooters?

M.

With 4 or more casualties, only 3 have been carried out by females acting alone. I wouldn't characterize any of those perpetrators as girls.

Because...they were adults and not teens or younger?

Because gender ^violence^ is only the imposition of a flawed societal concept on reality.

There. FTFY.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 06, 2021, 08:51:51 AM
Because gender ^violence^ is only the imposition of a flawed societal concept on reality.

There. FTFY.

I'm not sure what that means. Is "violence" a flawed societal concept?
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 06, 2021, 09:13:50 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on December 06, 2021, 08:51:51 AM

There. FTFY.

I'm not sure what that means. Is "violence" a flawed societal concept?

Silence is violence. Thinking about being silent is violence. Waking up, and then not doing anything to fight inequality, all day long, in spite of your opportunity, is violence.

Ruralguy

Please get help. I mean that seriously.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Ruralguy on December 06, 2021, 07:06:16 PM
Please get help. I mean that seriously.

Ditto.  From the heart.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

secundem_artem

Makes me kinda look forward to my college's annual active shooter drill training.

As for some of you upthread, consider a dosage increase.  You're talking out of your ass and frightening the horses.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

marshwiggle

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 06, 2021, 07:29:20 PM
Makes me kinda look forward to my college's annual active shooter drill training.

As for some of you upthread, consider a dosage increase.  You're talking out of your ass and frightening the horses.

I honestly can't be sure whether this is serious or not. Do places actually have active shooter training? And is it an annual thing????? (If it's sarcasm and I'm missing it, it comes from being Canadian and hearing of elementary or high schools in the US with armed guards and/or metal detectors at the doors, which are locked during the school day. It's dystopian enough that it's hard to imagine what might be exaggeration.)

It takes so little to be above average.

nebo113

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 07, 2021, 05:34:05 AM
Quote from: secundem_artem on December 06, 2021, 07:29:20 PM

I honestly can't be sure whether this is serious or not. Do places actually have active shooter training? And is it an annual thing????? (If it's sarcasm and I'm missing it, it comes from being Canadian and hearing of elementary or high schools in the US with armed guards and/or metal detectors at the doors, which are locked during the school day. It's dystopian enough that it's hard to imagine what might be exaggeration.)

Many US high schools have active shooter drills and training, including the one in Michigan where four students were murdered by a fellow student.

mamselle

Yes. When I was subbing in the public schools, a few years back, they didn't call it a "shooter drill," but there was an announcement one day to take cover following emergency procedures (never saying if it were a drill, or for real, which got my attention...)

The 1st graders I was with that day knew to file into the cubby area, where they couldn't be seen or hit by anyone firing through the doors, and wait while their teacher locked said doors and joined them.

We--the volunteer parent assistant, and I as an extra sub--stayed with them until the all-clear sounded.

I reflected it was a far cry from the days when the one older 3rd-grade teacher in our elementary school used to (on her own) declare an air-raid drill and make her students shelter under their desks. This was c. 20 years after the end of WWII, but she was into preparedness....the principal finally got her to stop.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

My great-nephew, a member of a university police department, gives active attacker trainings every year.  (Active "attacker," since weapons other than guns may be used).  His university has not yet gone to the automated online training. 

And before my university went to online training, I attended a training session in person and thought it was excellent.  Only a few months after that, we had a chance to put our knowledge to use, as a person with a long gun had been spotted on campus and we all had to go into lockdown. (No one was harmed—he was apprehended fairly quickly.)

pgher

When I was a kid, we had fire drills. In all my life, I have only had to evacuate a building twice--once for a fire, once for a gas leak. I wonder: How many fire-related emergencies are there in schools vs. active shooter situations? Surely there are statistics.

aside

Quote from: cathwen on December 07, 2021, 07:24:05 AM
My great-nephew, a member of a university police department, gives active attacker trainings every year.  (Active "attacker," since weapons other than guns may be used).  His university has not yet gone to the automated online training. 

And before my university went to online training, I attended a training session in person and thought it was excellent.  Only a few months after that, we had a chance to put our knowledge to use, as a person with a long gun had been spotted on campus and we all had to go into lockdown. (No one was harmed—he was apprehended fairly quickly.)

My university has online training as well, and we also went into lockdown because of a person with a gun (no actual shooting).  We have had no actual drills.

Puget

I'm in the first generation that had active shooter drills as a normal part of our high school experience.

My university does online training in fight-run-hide protocols for everyone. They also do live simulations for emergency responders, but those don't directly involve faculty or students-- they just give us a heads up it will be happening so we don't get alarmed. The worry here is not really about our own students (though I guess you never know for sure) but about outside threats (without revealing identifying info, I'll just say we are an attractive target for some domestic terrorists). It's a balance between not scaring people, but being prepared.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Ruralguy

I've certainly have  been in buildings that had some sort of fire or smoking whatever  that had to be evacuated. None were serious that I know of (I don't recall seeing or hearing about injuries or deaths). I have been in some  active shooter situations, but all ended up being local armed robbers who had last been spotted in the area. I am not even sure if any even had fired a weapon. That is, none were the type of mass shootings  we've all heard about.

namazu

Quote from: nebo113 on December 07, 2021, 05:41:02 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on December 07, 2021, 05:34:05 AM
Many US high schools have active shooter drills and training, including the one in Michigan where four students were murdered by a fellow student.
Not only high schools!  Also elementary schools, alas.