News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Teaching About The Middle East

Started by spork, May 01, 2024, 05:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

My Middle East course is coming up in its regular rotation. Given Hamas's attack on Israel on October 7 and the aftermath, I'll be revising the syllabus. I'm curating a list of potential additions/substitutions. Let me know if you have any recommendations. My current list includes:

I also plan to again use Kim Ghattas, Black Wave: Saudi Arabia, Iran, and the Forty-Year Rivalry That Unraveled Culture, Religion, and Collective Memory in the Middle East, 2020.

Students at my university are mostly ill-informed and apolitical. Few can locate Israel on a map. So I'm not interested in dense, badly written academic literature.

I am not interested in debating the war itself in this thread. If you want to opine about it, start a General Discussion thread. 
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

secundem_artem

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

Some or all of Jerome Slater's Mythologies Without End: The US, Israel, and the Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1917-2020?
I know it's a genus.

spork

Quote from: secundem_artem on May 01, 2024, 08:47:39 AMCertainly not my field, but I found this to be an interesting read from the perspectives of both sides.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/02/01/magazine/israel-founding-palestinian-conflict.html

This is brilliantly designed and executed. Thanks. Missed its original publication because I was in the Middle East at the time.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 01, 2024, 10:00:57 AMSome or all of Jerome Slater's Mythologies Without End: The US, Israel, and the Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1917-2020?

Thanks. I was unaware of this book, and it might be suitable for one of my graduate courses, thought it's > 500 pages. I currently use Rashid Khalidi's The Hundred Years' War on Palestine.

Also, not clearly stated in my original post: my syllabus revision is not limited to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The course is about the whole region. So suggestions about other topics are welcome.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mbelvadi

Regarding what else to include, I have heard from a number of reputable sources that Israel was on the cusp of signing an agreement with Saudi Arabia that would potentially have marginalized Hamas' support in the region and that the timing of the attack was specifically intended to derail that, which it so far did do.  Maybe that would be relevant in a discussion about the region?  https://www.britannica.com/topic/Israeli-Saudi-peace-deal

Vkw10

Primary sources may be outside your scope, but our library has an online archive, Creation of Israel: British Foreign Office Correspondence on Palestine and Transjordan, 1940-1948 (Module 43), that you might find useful. More info: https://proquest.libguides.com/historyvault/israel1940
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

financeguy

I don't have a specific text but I'd try to find some way to ensure those completing the course are aware of the effect Islamic Finance and the unique features of the regional economy may have on trade in general. Many people focus on the religious, geographic and other factors of the region in an intro or survey course while placing little emphasis on the vast economic differences that are in some ways as consequential.   

spork

Quote from: financeguy on May 03, 2024, 09:43:00 AMI don't have a specific text but I'd try to find some way to ensure those completing the course are aware of the effect Islamic Finance and the unique features of the regional economy may have on trade in general. Many people focus on the religious, geographic and other factors of the region in an intro or survey course while placing little emphasis on the vast economic differences that are in some ways as consequential.   

I leave finance to the people in the business department, where MBAs teach intro econ. Don't want to deprive students of the opportunity to create PowerPoint presentations.

poiuy

There are some good infographics in this article, especially maps showing how land boundaries changed over time:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/18/mapping-israeli-occupation-gaza-palestine

You could curate specific information for your class from that article. I was teaching a class on migration last Fall when the Hamas attack happened so I found information from that link very useful for my students.

I teach at a regional public where students are often not well prepared, mostly uninformed, geographic knowledge abysmal, and they have pressing problems related to their day-to-day survival that they understandably prioritize.

spork

Quote from: poiuy on May 04, 2024, 08:26:11 AMThere are some good infographics in this article, especially maps showing how land boundaries changed over time:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/18/mapping-israeli-occupation-gaza-palestine

You could curate specific information for your class from that article. I was teaching a class on migration last Fall when the Hamas attack happened so I found information from that link very useful for my students.

I teach at a regional public where students are often not well prepared, mostly uninformed, geographic knowledge abysmal, and they have pressing problems related to their day-to-day survival that they understandably prioritize.

Cool. Thanks.