Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Help - media casting tomorrow to become a collaborator

Started by adel9216, August 12, 2019, 06:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Hello everyone,

I need your help asap.

I was invited to take part in a casting tomorrow to become a regular collaborator on a national television show where I live. I'm both flattered that they thought of me but at the same time, am nervous about the casting/audition. They have asked me to comment on two topics that are out of my area of research and professional expertise (which is what is making me nervous). I have jotted down some ideas, but I don't know if this is going to be enough for the entire discussion.

The first one has to do with the environment, how it can be difficult to do what's best for the planet and at the same time, having to keep on with our daily lives and habits. I need to comment on that, from my perspective as a citizen, not as a scholar...

The second question has to do with unfaithfulness. What constitues unfaithfulness and why? (again, from a citizen perspective, not an academic perspective).

They said that if I do make the cut, the topics would be much more closer to my area of expertise. But they want to see how I will be in front of the camera.

It is not my first time doing interviews with the media, but it is my first time with such a big media outlet.

Does any of you have quick thoughts or perspective to share on these two topics (especially the unfaithful topic)? It could help me with my brainstorming. My biggest fear is not having enough stuff to say.

spork

I have no perspectives on these topics (you should go with your own opinion anyway), but I recommend memorizing a few bullet point-type phrases for each topic that you can insert into the conversation. You'll need to make simple, clear, and brief statements -- 30-60 seconds' worth each time -- for back and forth with the interviewer, instead of the 15 minute boring monologues typical of academics.

In terms of rhetorical technique, a specific real-world example or two for each topic should suffice to keep the conversation going. Maybe pitch them as personal events of the type that many people experience.

Anyway, the producers are probably more interested in your chemistry with the rest of the on-air personalities and whether you are engaging on camera than in the actual content of what you say.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

adel9216

You are probably right, they probably just want to see how comfortable I am. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your reply!

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: spork on August 12, 2019, 06:31:42 PM
Anyway, the producers are probably more interested in your chemistry with the rest of the on-air personalities and whether you are engaging on camera than in the actual content of what you say.

Yup. I've been burned more than once by "big media" who interview me for hours throughout the day and either it all ends up on the (virtual) cutting room floor, or they pluck that 20 seconds where I moved my hands just so to illustrate a point. In other words, don't put more effort into it than it deserves.

Congrats on being asked, it does feel good to be asked to do these things.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

adel9216

The casting went okay I believe? We'll see if they keep
Me lol

adel9216

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on August 13, 2019, 05:32:15 AM
Quote from: spork on August 12, 2019, 06:31:42 PM

Yup. I've been burned more than once by "big media" who interview me for hours throughout the day and either it all ends up on the (virtual) cutting room floor, or they pluck that 20 seconds where I moved my hands just so to illustrate a point. In other words, don't put more effort into it than it deserves.

Congrats on being asked, it does feel good to be asked to do these things.

Hahahaha so true !