News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

mamselle

What was it someone said they don't like, mint?

Can you stuff that in the wall?

(mostly kidding....)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on July 23, 2021, 05:57:47 AM
I was thinking that.

Or a turtle....

M.

The turtle our dad rescued when we were children was named George.

mamselle

I was first thinking of Heloise's pet turtle from the childrens' book, but no, he was Skipperdee (where did I get "Henri" from?).

Bon p'tit chien, Henri.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

A staff member says that she had an encounter with a nest of yellow jackets while working out in her yard Saturday.  She wasn't sure for a while that she'd make it in today.  They got under her clothes, and prompted her to partially disrobe outside.  It was a traumatic experience.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

hmaria1609

Spotted a deer wandering through a someone's yard next door to the library!

Parasaurolophus

Found a large chicken of the woods today.
I know it's a genus.

spork

Rabbits have been a daily presence in the backyard this year. Occasionally two will chase each other back and forth. It looks like they are playing. I am wondering if this is common behavior.

A few days ago before sunset I saw a juvenile possum in the bushes. It crawled into a downspout extension and sat there, peeking out, for about fifteen minutes. I tried to entice it out with some raspberries. But it was not interested, and eventually it left on its own accord. Haven't seen it again.

Finding lots of earthworms in the dirt, maybe because it's been a rainy summer.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I found an Eastern Wormsnake and a Ringneck snake while cleaning up my backyard today.

namazu

Catherder

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 14, 2021, 08:41:54 PM
I found an Eastern Wormsnake and a Ringneck snake while cleaning up my backyard today.

There was a 2-foot long garter snake on my doorstep the other day. I told it I wouldn't step on it if it didn't try to enter the house.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Catherder on August 15, 2021, 07:06:33 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 14, 2021, 08:41:54 PM

There was a 2-foot long garter snake on my doorstep the other day. I told it I wouldn't step on it if it didn't try to enter the house.

A few years ago, I found a large (2-3 ft long? and at least an inch in girth) copperhead wrapped around the front porch railing like it was doing moves on a stripper pole. I swept it into a bucket (I know it was foolish) and gave it to one of my herpetology friends at work who relocated it.

nebo113

Driving to town yesterday, I saw a young racoon wandering in the road.  Truck in front of me went around it.  I stopped and honked, but it just skittered around.  My guess is that it was sick or rabid.  Around here, no one to call about it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I found a ginormous mantis yesterday (longer than my pointer finger, so about 4+ in. long) which made my day after having the bejeezus stung out of me.

mamselle

It stung you?

I didn't know they did that.

But yeah, they're cool....I found one once and took it home to release in my garden.

I figured it would eat stuff I didn't want....saw it a day later but not after that.

I hope something else didn't eat it, but I suspect it did.

M.