News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on July 20, 2021, 07:25:44 AM
This morning a saw a tiny lizard trying to dash inside the building through the staff entrance in back.  As inside is not a safe environment for a lizard (And their presence tends to cause a certain amount of hysteria among staff members and patrons), I put my foot down to try to head it off and herd it back outside.  Instead I accidentally killed the poor little thing!  It makes for a sad start to a workday on what was already a very dreary day out.

Sorry.

mamselle

Aww.

Maybe some bird or other creature benefitted, though.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on July 21, 2021, 05:57:32 AM
Aww.

Maybe some bird or other creature benefitted, though.

M.

Well, I did toss it outside, so undoubtedly something is going to end up feasting on the remains.

I now have unwelcome fauna in my house that I'm trying to trap out.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

apl68

The unwelcome fauna is now out of the house.  It did not survive.  Things escalated in a way that I would rather had not happened.  I don't feel at this point like sharing further.  I'm just glad that I escaped injury myself.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

evil_physics_witchcraft

Too bad about the fauna, apl68.

I found what I think was a Brown Snake (common, nonvenomous) near my garage and moved it into the brush. Well, I know it wasn't a baby copperhead due to the lack of a bright yellow tail, etc. It pooped/musked me. I have been blessed by the Snake Gods. :P

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 21, 2021, 09:04:20 AM
Saw a crow chasing a vulture.

They HATE large raptors.

I was working on a paper once and hear a whole murder of them in the trees, yelling their heads off.

Turned out there was an owl sitting there, blinking quietly, turning its head about as if to say, "What's all the fuss about?"

Of course, if they hadn't chased it away, it might well have gone after their young in the nests, and they knew it.

The sudden quiet was deafening.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Morden

Ants. Lots and lots of ants. Normally, we have lots and lots of ants outside, and I don't care. These ones are in the kitchen, and I do care.

waterboy

One of the few benefits of being awake at 3 am is the weird call of a local screech owl coming through the window.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

namazu

After a dearth of butterfly sightings, I've seen both a zebra swallowtail and a giant swallowtail (plus assorted tiger swallowtails, monarchs, azures, red-spotted purples, admirals, sulfurs, and the ubiquitous cabbage whites) in the past week.

nebo113

Henri the canine cornered a groundhog (probably a yung'in) in a fence corner, and barked madly but didn't attack.  Henri the canine does not like rain, so I rained the hose on him until he fled to the porch, giving ground hog time to escape.  I think they live in a rock ledge just outside the fence.

cathwen

Henri is a great name for a dog!

mamselle

I was thinking that.

Or a turtle....

M.

Harlow2

Quote from: Morden on July 21, 2021, 03:46:19 PM
Ants. Lots and lots of ants. Normally, we have lots and lots of ants outside, and I don't care. These ones are in the kitchen, and I do care.

Here too.  Knocked many of them down fast with diatomaceous earth (pet friendly).  Still,some stragglers whose entry point I can't find. Guess I need one of those trap things. I wonder if our very hot wet summer is contributing.

Morden

QuoteStill,some stragglers whose entry point I can't find.
After looking in all the usual places, I saw a couple coming out from the power outlet on the tile--which means they're in the wall, but I don't want to think about that.