News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

We're getting more rain (3rd day, now) and promises of high winds, maybe thundershowers.

To the west, possible tornadoes were mentioned but I think that warning has expired with no sightings, which is just fine.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Rainy-looking, and humid.  We could use some rain.

We've been having highs in the low 90s.  Which is interesting, because highs in the upper 90s and low 100s are what we normally have for July.  At a time when other regions are routinely breaking high temperature records, we're actually a little cooler than usual!  "Cooler" in a very relative sense--with our humidity levels, even lower-90s temperatures are pretty extreme conditions by most regions' standards.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Cool, not cold, a bit humid.

My AM walk showed the small river and its tributary brook up a good bit (3.61" rain were recorded yesterday) and I only saw a few ducks up on the bank instead of the swans, heron, geese, etc. that are usually around (intrrthreadual ref's). 

I'm hoping their nests weren't all washed away, but it's possible they were, two were very close to shore, last I saw.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on July 09, 2021, 10:17:31 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on July 09, 2021, 06:10:16 AM
We didn't see much rain in our neighborhood yesterday, but subways and several roads were flooded.
These are not sights one expects in a supposedly first world city:
https://gothamist.com/news/subway-commuters-wade-waist-deep-waters-heavy-rainfall

I was really surprised to see some of the video of the subway yesterday and showed it to my husband this morning.  Yeek!! No way I'd want to be in whatever soup is down there.  It just seems both gross and dangerous.  Hope you stay dry!

Our subway system seems to have deteriorated since the Guiliani days. Thankfully, I don't have to rely on it other than to get to my medical appointments and for going to museums and events in the city. I recall being stuck on the subway some years ago when a tree had crashed onto the tracks and had to be sawn and then hauled away. This was the elevated line which at that point was alongside the road.

apl18, I liked your "frog strangler" description so much that I kept using it while driving through several episodes of the same last Saturday.

Langue_doc

Thunder, pouring rain, and plenty of sunshine.

mamselle

So....rainbows, ssomewhere?

Its an ok 81 here. We're promised thunderstorms in about 4 hours.

On va voir...

M.

hmaria1609

Heat emergency alert activated in DC through Saturday. There were thunderstorms in some places earlier today:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2021/07/heat-wave-cools-off-as-afternoon-storms-move-into-dc-region/
I've been outside long enough to put things in my car while working at the library.

Langue_doc

Quote from: mamselle on July 14, 2021, 02:23:09 PM

On va voir...

M.

No rainbows, alas, at least none that were visible from my windows.

Hot couple of days ahead.

Harlow2

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 15, 2021, 05:10:25 AM
Quote from: mamselle on July 14, 2021, 02:23:09 PM

On va voir...

M.

Maybe here soon--the extended forecast calls for a chance of rain every day for the next week, starting tomorrow.  I'm skeptical.  We'll see.  I hope we don't get much rain on Saturday.  We have an outdoor community event at the city park that day, and I and a staff member are supposed to have a library booth out there.  It will be our first outreach effort at a community event since before the Plague began.

No rainbows, alas, at least none that were visible from my windows.

Hot couple of days ahead.

mamselle

Clear, a bit warm but not bad today.

Until now.

Bang!

Here come the thunderstorms...

M.

ab_grp

The weather was supposed to be a little rainy today, but it turned into pouring rain, hail, really loud thunder and close lightning, and a ton of it! Power went out briefly, so we will have to reset everything, but I am just happy it is back on and hope it stays that way.  Our internet was failing for 30 or so minutes after power came back, so we were worried that the router blew somehow (just got that last year as an upgrade since we were both working from home at the time), but it seems okay now.  I think there is a bunch of flooding nearby again, so I really am thankful if this is all we get and will send my good weather thoughts to those folks.

apl68

Massively hot and humid.  Perfectly normal for July.

mamselle

Very pleasant AM and my walk was cool and comfortable--in addition to seeing 7 swans, 12 ducks, and probably a nuthatch (it flew away before I could be sure).

Some of that probably belongs on the bird thread, but it was a part of the pleasantness...so...

M.

AmLitHist

Dog days in the mid-Mississippi Valley.  Heat index of 108 forecast today and tomorrow, with the "real heat" yet to come this upcoming week, according to the weatherman.  (The heat's not so bad--as usual, it's the humidity. Walking out the door is like stepping into a sauna.)