Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquidambar

Quote from: ergative on June 25, 2021, 01:51:28 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on June 24, 2021, 09:19:19 AM
Quote from: ergative on June 24, 2021, 03:44:08 AM
I can tell you're finishing up your big grant, because suddenly I'm getting a bunch of review requests that, judging from the abstracts, all came from your research group.

Also, Frontiers, buddy, no one's going to be able to finish a review in 10 days. Who do you think you're kidding? You bet I smashed that 'extension' button, and if I'm not done in 15 days, I'm going to smash it again. What are you going to do, find someone else? Boo hoo.

Ugh... Frontiers... and the 10 days is (from my recollection) regardless of manuscript length and includes weekends and holidays! I also got a re-review "request" and was told to submit it within 4 days (including a weekend and holiday).  That is especially uncool since you can't plan for when a resubmission comes in.  I don't review for them anymore.  The manuscripts I've been asked to review have not been very good anyway.

Yes, I approach them with caution ever since a colleague of mine described reviewing a paper that she thought was unpublishable, which they published anyway, and then put her name on as a reviewer. But they published something of mine last year, so I've used the system and should give back. To be honest, if it had been a blind submission I might not have agreed to review it, but because I know the authors and can be pretty sure they aren't going to submit something I'm ashamed to have my name on as a reviewer, I agreed. Yes, I am part of the problem with the system.

You all are making me nervous.  We're trying to publish in a Frontiers journal that my coauthor is an associate editor for.  We certainly didn't get back reviews in 10 days--it was the usual couple months.  The reviews were helpful (well, one was overly nitpicky), and we're expected to address them.  Do the different Frontiers journals vary in quality and procedures?
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

ab_grp

Quote from: Liquidambar on June 25, 2021, 07:23:49 AM
Quote from: ergative on June 25, 2021, 01:51:28 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on June 24, 2021, 09:19:19 AM
Quote from: ergative on June 24, 2021, 03:44:08 AM
I can tell you're finishing up your big grant, because suddenly I'm getting a bunch of review requests that, judging from the abstracts, all came from your research group.

Also, Frontiers, buddy, no one's going to be able to finish a review in 10 days. Who do you think you're kidding? You bet I smashed that 'extension' button, and if I'm not done in 15 days, I'm going to smash it again. What are you going to do, find someone else? Boo hoo.

Ugh... Frontiers... and the 10 days is (from my recollection) regardless of manuscript length and includes weekends and holidays! I also got a re-review "request" and was told to submit it within 4 days (including a weekend and holiday).  That is especially uncool since you can't plan for when a resubmission comes in.  I don't review for them anymore.  The manuscripts I've been asked to review have not been very good anyway.

Yes, I approach them with caution ever since a colleague of mine described reviewing a paper that she thought was unpublishable, which they published anyway, and then put her name on as a reviewer. But they published something of mine last year, so I've used the system and should give back. To be honest, if it had been a blind submission I might not have agreed to review it, but because I know the authors and can be pretty sure they aren't going to submit something I'm ashamed to have my name on as a reviewer, I agreed. Yes, I am part of the problem with the system.

You all are making me nervous.  We're trying to publish in a Frontiers journal that my coauthor is an associate editor for.  We certainly didn't get back reviews in 10 days--it was the usual couple months.  The reviews were helpful (well, one was overly nitpicky), and we're expected to address them.  Do the different Frontiers journals vary in quality and procedures?

I see plenty of researchers I respect publishing in Frontiers in their fields or subfields, so I do think the quality varies.  I'm not sure about procedure.  The ones I review for are interactive review, so you review and the other person reviews, and then there is a non-blind interactive forum between reviewers and authors to "collaborate" on revisions.  I'm not sure if that is true for all of their journals (though it seems so from their site?), but that entails even more work when the papers are of poor quality.  For one paper, the other reviewer wanted to just reject it.  I tried to help the author, but it was really a quagmire, and I should have listed to the other reviewer.  As was mentioned, reviewer names are included with the published paper, so that definitely adds some motivation to have a good final product (or cut bait).  I have never submitted to one of their journals, so I'm not sure about that side of it. 

Parasaurolophus

I just taught the hatchling the commands 'open' and 'close' with respect to a light switch (and his foot, which he used to execute the commands).
I know it's a genus.

Morris Zapp

I need some applause. We cleaned the garage!!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Morris Zapp on June 25, 2021, 05:31:59 PM

Clappityclap! Enjoy it while you can!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Morris Zapp on June 25, 2021, 05:31:59 PM

Good on you!

Did you find any extra cars?

...sorry...

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 25, 2021, 05:01:15 PM
I just taught the hatchling the commands 'open' and 'close' with respect to a light switch (and his foot, which he used to execute the commands).

It's always a good idea to develop that foot dexterity early.

apl68

If you've ever driven through Arkansas on Interstate 40, you may have noticed that it crosses a river named "L'Anguille."  Recent the I-40 river crossing got new signage.  A sharp-eyed driver spotted an error in one of the new signs.  It reads "L'Anquille River," not "L'Anguille River."  Which makes a lot less sense as the name of a body of water.

It goes to show what can happen when you don't mind your G's and Q's.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Just in case any literary types need reinforcement for believing that our work is worthwhile...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jun/26/project-cassandra-plan-to-use-novels-to-predict-next-war

Who knew?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on June 30, 2021, 12:09:37 PM
Just in case any literary types need reinforcement for believing that our work is worthwhile...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jun/26/project-cassandra-plan-to-use-novels-to-predict-next-war

Who knew?

M.
I've seen this article too as recommended by Firefox so it's making the rounds.

ab_grp

I found out last night that an amazing Olympic-qualifying athlete's parent is someone I greatly respect in my field.  I am not at all surprised that such an all-around incredible young person is related to such an all-around incredible colleague, but wow.  It must be so exciting! I can't imagine how much hard work has gone in over the years.  So wonderful to see it continue to pay off, and in bigger and bigger ways.  Just strange to see someone's name all over the news and find out about the relationship! I had no idea.  I guess every Olympic athlete is someone's kid, of course. 

Economizer

LAB REPORT: Professor Tawdry had him to register a 9.5/10 for 12 minutes even though had been administered the placebo. (!). Test Post, [OK?].
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

FishProf

I'm not Chair.  Ask Professor [New Chair].
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Looking for ways to liven up your online meetings, but don't want to use those corny fake backgrounds that make it look like you're on the beach or wherever?  Do what somebody I know does.  When he has an online meeting, he takes his laptop and webcam outside to anywhere he can get a signal.  He's attended meetings from inside the chicken run at his house, and in a clearing in the woods.  It keeps people guessing as to where he actually is.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

arcturus

Quote from: apl68 on July 07, 2021, 06:38:02 AM
Looking for ways to liven up your online meetings, but don't want to use those corny fake backgrounds that make it look like you're on the beach or wherever?  Do what somebody I know does.  When he has an online meeting, he takes his laptop and webcam outside to anywhere he can get a signal.  He's attended meetings from inside the chicken run at his house, and in a clearing in the woods.  It keeps people guessing as to where he actually is.

We had someone do this during the peak of the cicada season. We could hardly hear him over the background noise. It is much better - for the other participants - to select a quiet location with a good wifi connection.