News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: filologos on September 27, 2021, 09:09:17 PM
I'm finally in a house with space for a dedicated freezer, but the pandemic has made freezers quite difficult to find, especially in my rural area. Uprights can't be had for love or money and chest freezers sell out as fast as they come in. Earlier this week, the local appliance store had told me that they had a few, but they were bigger than I needed and more expensive than I wanted. On a whim, however, I stopped by on Saturday morning and found that they had one left of exactly the size I was looking for; it had been incorrectly tagged as sold or it too would have been long gone. That freezer is now in my basement. I am delighted. It will soon be full.

An appliance repair guy who came to our house said that two factories in the US were burned to the ground during the riots in 2020, so that's part of the supply chain problem.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

That seems dubious to me.

Fact-checking.

M.

E.T.A. The articles I'm seeing suggest it is due to more people staying home and stocking up on frozen goods to avoid having to go out shopping in unsafe environments. Several sites noted that the shortage started with Covid lockdowns, which preceded the George Floyd murder and protests.

One appliance parts store in St. Paul was damaged, and one more general factory caught fire from a neighboring apartment building, but those were the only two sites whose production or manufacturing contributions were even close.

No other cities show any related damage at all.

I'm sorry but it sounds like "fake news" designed to generate racially-motivated dislike of others; there don't seem to be any supportive facts for the narrative you were given.   

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Economizer

National and local media here have been oft and diligently reporting the availability of the booster vaccination. HOWEVER, they have, I think, been under reporting that its availability is only to those that had their 1st and 2nd shots via the Pfizer product. Or, maybe I missed the announcements that the booster is OK for administration to the folks who had their first shots via the Moderna (other) product as well?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

hmaria1609

It's National Coffee Day!  Followed by International Coffee Day tomorrow.

Charlotte

Taking a big step. Got an interview for a new position that I believe is more suited to me. I'm very nervous about the interview and experiencing imposter syndrome, but hoping it will result in moving on to better things. Firstly, I've got to ace this interview!

Parasaurolophus

Greetings from the new laptop. So far, I'm cautiously optimistic. Hope I can turn off this backlit keyboard, though...

Quote from: hmaria1609 on September 29, 2021, 09:11:36 AM
It's National Coffee Day!  Followed by International Coffee Day tomorrow.

Today's our national day for truth and reconciliation.

Quote from: Charlotte on September 30, 2021, 03:40:41 PM
Taking a big step. Got an interview for a new position that I believe is more suited to me. I'm very nervous about the interview and experiencing imposter syndrome, but hoping it will result in moving on to better things. Firstly, I've got to ace this interview!

Congratulations!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

namazu

Quote from: Economizer on September 28, 2021, 08:25:08 AM
National and local media here have been oft and diligently reporting the availability of the booster vaccination. HOWEVER, they have, I think, been under reporting that its availability is only to those that had their 1st and 2nd shots via the Pfizer product. Or, maybe I missed the announcements that the booster is OK for administration to the folks who had their first shots via the Moderna (other) product as well?
So far, only boosters of the Pfizer vaccine have been approved.  There is an exception for people who are severely immunocompromised, who are eligible to receive boosters whether they were vaccinated with Moderna or Pfizer.

The vaccine committee is meeting later this month to discuss the use of boosters for other vaccines (Moderna and J&J) in a broader population

Charlotte

I want to tell people to get your medical checkups to catch issues early. Pay attention to symptoms. Don't brush things off as being insignificant. Take care of yourself. Life can change quickly.

Three weeks ago, I was excited to post here about an interview for a job I really wanted.

This week, I received devastating news about my health which may result in any career aspirations being put on hold or ended entirely.

Don't wait. Schedule your appointment.

mamselle

Very sorry to hear of your concerns. That's scary.

Here for you if you need to vent further.

There's a chronic health thread that can be revived, too.

It's here:

http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=599.0

Or you could start another one for yourself--that's been done as well.

All good thoughts.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

So sorry to hear this, Charlotte. Seconding Mamselle's thread comment, which seemed helpful.

AmLitHist

Sending you all best wishes, Charlotte.  (FWIW, I too have been through those whiplash times.  Take care of yourself.)

apl68

This past Sunday was our church's 77th anniversary.  It was also the official final Sunday of our pastor, who has been very good for us over the past 22 years.  We had more special music than usual during the morning worship service.  One our best singers began to sing a solo.  She got so overcome by emotion that her voice faded.  All we could hear was the accompaniment track.

Everybody there knew why.  Her family has a had a lot of trouble over the past several years.  They've had employment issues and health problems.  Recently their young daughter had developed an autoimmune issue that is causing her hair to fall out.  Her worries and stress were just too much for her while she was trying to sing.

After the pastor had finished his sermon, the singer came back up and tried to sing the song again.  This time everybody sang it with her.  It was our way of trying to show that we were all with her in spirit.  This time she was able to complete the song.  There must not have been a dry eye in the whole house.

BTW, this was the song:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=goodness+of+God+lyrics

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Morden

mamselle

Wow.

The congregation's solidarity in singing with her...enacted prayer.

M.