The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Off to join the protests! I have a new whistle that sounds like a train whistle
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 27, 2019, 10:51:11 AM
Off to join the protests! I have a new whistle that sounds like a train whistle.

Not a bad turnout, in the end. Crushed Toronto's, although my native Montréal crushed us, and everyone else in the world to boot. Makes me awfully homesick, I have to say!
I know it's a genus.

Thursday's_Child

It's too early for Halloween decorations - take them down!

aside

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on September 28, 2019, 08:20:36 AM
It's too early for Halloween decorations - take them down!

So true!  It's not even October and it's hotter than hell here.  How can anyone think about Halloween?

wareagle

Ha!  Local department store started with Christmas decorations today!
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

hmaria1609

One of the neighbors already has put up outdoor Halloween decorations!  Others have scarecrows and fall foliage wreaths.

Costco has Halloween and Christmas stuff available.

mamselle

If they don't tell you by Oct. 1 (when they said they'd tell everyone...) that your paper proposal was accepted, does that mean it was?

Or it wasn't?

Existential stuff like that is so very worrying...every year!!

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I wish my conference friends were my everyday friends. They're just so great.

And so far away. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

backatit

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 12, 2019, 11:54:29 PM
I wish my conference friends were my everyday friends. They're just so great.

And so far away. Sigh.

I totally agree. Went to an awesome symposium a couple of weeks ago. Want to hang with those people all the time.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on May 18, 2019, 07:29:43 AM
The last thing to really jazz me in the sciences was the discovery of a fossil site that most likely captures the hours during the KPg extinction event (the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs). Science articlePNAS article, and an article in the New Yorker. I was floating a few inches above the ground for a couple days after reading this. Imagine, finding a smoking gun that captures the violent event itself... just mindblowing, and I hope Robert DePalma has the best friggin' academic career from here on out...

The New Yorker piece was a great read.  Absolutely fascinating stuff.  Thank you.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Four months ago, I got new gym shorts. One month ago, they disappeared. What gives?
I know it's a genus.

fourhats

QuoteThe rabbits in our back yard are becoming bolder. They'll stay right there, nibbling on grass, while you drive up and park about 10 feet away.

I was thinking of this the other as I walked to my car at home, and saw a large, very healthy looking fox staring at me (I'm in the US, but when I lived in London I used to encounter scrawny, mangey looking ones). This may explain why I haven't seen any rabbits around the house lately.

Parasaurolophus

I age today.

To mark the occasion, I have interrupted my normal reading schedule to read a new viking novel, since these tend to come out around this time every year.

*contentment*
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 28, 2019, 10:00:57 AM
I age today.

To mark the occasion, I have interrupted my normal reading schedule to read a new viking novel, since these tend to come out around this time every year.

*contentment*

Just today? Lucky you! (sorry to inflict a dad joke on you on such a day) Have a great aging day and enjoy your book! If my mother aged (which, of course, she does not), today would be one of those for her as well.  Wishing you continued contentment.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on October 28, 2019, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 28, 2019, 10:00:57 AM
I age today.

*contentment*

Just today? Lucky you! (sorry to inflict a dad joke on you on such a day) Have a great aging day and enjoy your book! If my mother aged (which, of course, she does not), today would be one of those for her as well.  Wishing you continued contentment.

Hehe. I choose my days!

I'm a sucker for dad jokes. Keep 'em comining!
I know it's a genus.