News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

No commission, alas, Cheerful, but a strong endorsement. I've ordered from them before so all I had to do was to type in my email address and zip, and probably the routing number which promptly displayed my previous order. After a series of clicks, the order was complete. Today I had an email from them to let me know that the checks had been shipped. Banks are overpriced--I think it was my bank many years ago that told me to look for an outside vendor.

I didn't have to pay extra for expedited shipping as I don't need the checks right away.

mamselle

Bragging.

My middle-schoolers' theory class finished their 16-bar invention today.

It's goofy, sweet, has lots of faults but they got the overall structure, they worked very well together, and it definitely does not sound like something an adult wrote (which was one of my goals--they had all the final decisions).

I'm tickled--can't tell if they are or not, but I think they know I'm proud of them.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I've been organizing a panel on a new but super-exciting topic for a big conference in 2022. Today I heard from someone I cold-emailed weeks ago that she's in--and I'm so excited! She literally wrote the book on this topic for her (other) discipline. So that's two big shots from other fields snagged for this thing--it's gonna be so, so good!
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

Saw at the local 7-11 this morning: pumpkin spice latte
It was available as a selection for the self-service hot beverage station.

ergative

Ah, the return of the pumpkin-spice migration. Nature is healing.

ciao_yall

Logged into Zoom class a bit early.

One of my students is already there. Their camera and mic are both on and I think they might be on the toilet.

I hid the video view to give them privacy because I've been doing things and they haven't reacted to my presence. Maybe they don't realize that if my camera and mic are off that I can still see/hear them?

secundem_artem

Quote from: ergative on September 01, 2021, 02:58:22 AM
Ah, the return of the pumpkin-spice migration. Nature is healing.

Fall at Artem U -- North Face jacket, leggings, Uggs, pumpkin spice latté in 1 hand, iPhone in the other.  It's like the swallows returning to Capistrano or the annual migration of the wildebeests across the veld.  You can count on it happening every year.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

hmaria1609

apl68

Our regional school of nursing's latest cohort has had a 100% pass rate on the NCLEX-RN.  Sounds like the school must be doing something right.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on September 23, 2021, 11:28:16 AM
Our regional school of nursing's latest cohort has had a 100% pass rate on the NCLEX-RN.  Sounds like the school must be doing something right.

They need to use that every time a student says "IT'S TOO HAAAAARD!"
It takes so little to be above average.

alto_stratus

Economizer

I do not yet know whether it is newsworthy or not; however, I am googling "oogling" as we speak.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Wahoo Redux

Parking is NOT that bad on this campus!!!

Quit complaining!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

filologos

I'm finally in a house with space for a dedicated freezer, but the pandemic has made freezers quite difficult to find, especially in my rural area. Uprights can't be had for love or money and chest freezers sell out as fast as they come in. Earlier this week, the local appliance store had told me that they had a few, but they were bigger than I needed and more expensive than I wanted. On a whim, however, I stopped by on Saturday morning and found that they had one left of exactly the size I was looking for; it had been incorrectly tagged as sold or it too would have been long gone. That freezer is now in my basement. I am delighted. It will soon be full.

ergative

Quote from: Economizer on September 27, 2021, 08:46:30 AM
I do not yet know whether it is newsworthy or not; however, I am googling "oogling" as we speak.

I've heard people pronounce 'oogling' in contexts where I would say 'ogling' (with a long o, as in 'ogre').

How do y'all pronouncing 'ogling'? Do you say '<oh>-gling' or '<oo>-gling'? Or are you one of the chosen few who say '<ah>-gling'?