News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvidReader

Quote from: mamselle on May 05, 2021, 11:50:54 AM
Where I've adjuncted, I've had support for my research in a number of (small, but still supportive) ways, interest in my work, and willingness to let me present on new topics and participate in the annual Community of Scholars events.

Seconded. I had a lot of support, community, and interest in my work at my last two adjunct positions in particular. I felt appreciated as a member of those departments. My research was celebrated, I was encouraged to do service, and my boss recommended me for external activities in our larger community.

AR.

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on May 05, 2021, 10:32:14 AM
I am curious to see what it would mean to re-envisage the university through the lens of critical race theory, and a bit surprised to see the administration supportive of the project. I do wonder what the large Asian student population will make of it.

Very good question. If they are outperforming the caucasian students, as they often do, then critical race theory says it's unfair (not equitable) and something needs to be done to rectify it.

I need a bladder biopsy. My urologist is a 38 year old Asian American. My wife says her hospital is better than mine. But I love this doctor. I'm sticking with him. So I am a racist.

Nothing could surprise me less than that your administration is supportive of the project. All higher education institutions need to keep up with the Joneses and academia is the cheerleading team for this virulent stupidity. But it is an eerie feeling, just how quickly the thing moved and took over. There is some cautious and some determined resistance building.

https://americanmind.org/features/life-after-cancellation/you-can-hold-your-ground-against-critical-theory/

mahagonny

Quote from: AvidReader on May 05, 2021, 12:32:03 PM
Quote from: mamselle on May 05, 2021, 11:50:54 AM
Where I've adjuncted, I've had support for my research in a number of (small, but still supportive) ways, interest in my work, and willingness to let me present on new topics and participate in the annual Community of Scholars events.

Seconded. I had a lot of support, community, and interest in my work at my last two adjunct positions in particular. I felt appreciated as a member of those departments. My research was celebrated, I was encouraged to do service, and my boss recommended me for external activities in our larger community.

AR.

Wow, some stories that tell of the common adjunct life. Nice to have around.

mamselle

Random observation,, unrelated to the above, or maybe only indirectly...

When I get broody, I start writing article abstracts.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

...or, when my afternoon students have confirmed they won't have their lessons today, I "accept" so many LinkedIn contacts (all of whom I do, truly, know) that the site flips out, sending me little notes saying, "You're accepting more than months people usually do," and putting the last batch on "pending," so it doesn't gag.

I'm going to guess most will accept.

I just haven't had time for that level off attention to their site for awhile. And I may want to start doing more PR-like stuff there, so it's a reasonable thing to do.

Interesting to see who came up.

And 2 just accepted...yea!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

At the struggling school I do part time work for:

there are no departments or department chairs
nearly all the full time faculty seem to be workng in administrative positions, leaving the teaching to part time faculty
there doesn't seem to be a registrar any more, just a registrar's office
senior administration are nearly all "interim" and people keep leaving

It's like watching those spinning plates acts, waiting for them all to fall.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on June 19, 2021, 03:28:02 AM
At the struggling school I do part time work for:

there are no departments or department chairs
nearly all the full time faculty seem to be workng in administrative positions, leaving the teaching to part time faculty
there doesn't seem to be a registrar any more, just a registrar's office
senior administration are nearly all "interim" and people keep leaving

It's like watching those spinning plates acts, waiting for them all to fall.

But aren't you an adjunct faculty member, one of those who lack a long term commitment to the well being of the institution, and therefore are not worthy of investment or commitment from the college? And yet you sound like you care deeply about the place and are getting consumed with worry about its future. And what about the full time faculty, who do have that vital sense of commitment to the long term success of the institution, yet have been leaving...?!
My goodness. This is confusing.
Maybe I'll understand after more coffee. Or maybe I'll be bitter. You, know, bitterness, that human foible that you attribute to coffee, or the external world, when it is you who are hopelessly twisted inside.

downer

I'm mostly stoic about it. Schools like this one tend to focus on more practical training, and students are not that great. Some don't know why they are there at all, and others are not up to combining work and college at the same time. The admins excel at BS but don't treat anybody well. It's no great loss to the world if the school closes. But it does mean people losing their jobs, which is hard for them. It's always odd to see the admin acting as if things are great. But if they act in any other way, they will just precipitate the closure. And there's always the possibility that they won't close -- they will manage to continue with their cost-saving measures.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Yes, stoicism. How does the place even deserve to exist? I've thought that many times. And been told I shouldn't be teaching with that attitude. Of course we say a few similar things, but with different tone.

ergative

I really appreciate archival, document fountain pen inks. It's very nice to know that if I run my hand over a page I've written, it won't smear or smudge or anything. And I'm very grateful that these inks are available in colors like pink and purple.

But they're not very good versions of the colors. They're always a bit faded and washed out and grayish. I understand that this is probably a necessary trade-off. All the lively sheeny shady vibrant saturated colors probably depend on dyes that are not archival, waterproof, smearproof, etc. But still. I wish the smearproof inks were prettier, or the pretty inks were smearproofier.

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on June 20, 2021, 10:59:50 AM
I really appreciate archival, document fountain pen inks. It's very nice to know that if I run my hand over a page I've written, it won't smear or smudge or anything. And I'm very grateful that these inks are available in colors like pink and purple.

But they're not very good versions of the colors. They're always a bit faded and washed out and grayish. I understand that this is probably a necessary trade-off. All the lively sheeny shady vibrant saturated colors probably depend on dyes that are not archival, waterproof, smearproof, etc. But still. I wish the smearproof inks were prettier, or the pretty inks were smearproofier.

These guys might have what you want (and will definitely understand why you want it..)

https://www.bobslatestationer.com/

M.

mahagonny

Got a lovely card and gift from the youngster for Father's Day. The best gift you can get is to see them thriving.

FishProf

Quote from: mahagonny on June 21, 2021, 08:07:47 AM
Got a lovely card and gift from the youngster for Father's Day. The best gift you can get is to see them thriving.

I read that as see them leaving.

Not quite the same sentiment.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mahagonny

Quote from: FishProf on June 21, 2021, 08:36:07 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on June 21, 2021, 08:07:47 AM

I read that as see them leaving.

Not quite the same sentiment.

The youngster is grown. Just a pet name. Left us years ago.

ab_grp

Last night, my husband finally saw our corner store owner without a mask after a year or so of shopping there.  Husband described the guy as good looking and as a cross between Harrison Ford and Shaggy.   I thought he meant the musical artist Shaggy (of "Boombastic" fame) and was trying to picture that mash up, but apparently he meant Shaggy of "Scooby Doo."  I forgot to ask him if he meant the cartoon or the live-action movie, but I guess they are pretty similar looking.  I am still having trouble picturing it today.  Not sure how to process "good looking" with this combo.