News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Missing work due to religious reasons

Started by downer, May 08, 2024, 05:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 09, 2024, 08:55:57 PMI confess I too would be most interested to learn what kind of school has three dozen chaplains, and what, ahem, is the scope of religious affiliation held by this assemblage?
A big, historically secular school. So there is room for a lot of things to happen on campus.

The majority of chaplains are various Christian denominations, in addition to the usual Roman Catholic and many Protestant groups, there are Orthodox, Mormon, Christian Science, Korean.

Also major world faiths like Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Bhuddist, Sikh.

On the spiritual-but-not-religious edge there are secular and multifaith chaplains.

In the non-mainstream religious sphere, there is a pagan student group, but they appear to have no chaplain. None for pastafarians (or even rastafarians) and none from the Satanic Temple. I expect there could be, but there just isn't enough demand for their spiritual counsel among the undergraduates.

I don't have a good sense of how interest is spread among students. Obviously the Jewish and Muslim faith groups have been busy the last few weeks, providing comfort for their community members who are feeling under pressure from world and campus events. 

apl68

It's not at all hard to see how a large institution could have a need for chaplains and associations to serve many different faith groups.  And yes, the Jewish and Muslim groups have no doubt had a lot to do lately.  As long as they're taking care of their people and not getting in each others' face.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Hibush

Quote from: apl68 on Today at 07:36:22 AMIt's not at all hard to see how a large institution could have a need for chaplains and associations to serve many different faith groups.  And yes, the Jewish and Muslim groups have no doubt had a lot to do lately.  As long as they're taking care of their people and not getting in each others' face.

I hope the chaplains are counseling against that sort of behavior!

As far as I know, protesting students who miss class are not claiming religious reasons. Glad the chaplains are not charged with writing such notes!

Myword

Which holiday?  Passover?  Only the most devout, I think, need this excuse.
Sounds like a weak reason. Students should plan around it as their own responsibility.
They have no proof?

Take points off.