News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Pissed off and depressed

Started by jimbogumbo, July 14, 2024, 01:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Tired of the gun violence. Every damn day people are killed in the US as in no other similar country. And for every person who said yesterday was "unimaginable" I can list the following just since I was in 5th grade:

JFK
Gerald Ford
MLK
RFK
George Wallace
John Lennon
Ronald Reagan
Gabby Giffords
Steve Scalise
Donald Trump

It will never stop.

Hegemony

spork

I'm there too. About ten years ago I was walking in Montreal and realized I had gotten off track on the way back to my hotel, so I cut through what turned out to be the grounds of an elementary school. No fencing, locked gates, metal detectors, or armed guards. I wasn't stopped and questioned. No one even looked in my direction. I realized how just how negatively affected we are by the "Guns for EVERYONE!" mentality in the USA.

It's one of the reasons I'm attracted to the idea of retiring to another country.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nebo113

Wahoo Redux

It's a complicated picture.

There are a lot of guns in Canada, not as many as America by far, but still a lot.

There are a number of sources online that list 120 guns per 100 people in America, but only 30% of households have guns.  Most of these are owned by men.  A lot of households have most of the guns.

But still, that's a lot of guns in Canada which could be killing people but are not.

There is something in American culture that causes us to reach for guns.  I wonder sometimes if it is not the media, but I suspect it is much more complicated than that.  We are a frontier country that still loves World War II.  We love our guns. 

Eddie Izzard has the perfect take on it.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.