RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

Quote from: kaysixteen on April 28, 2023, 09:01:32 PM
Springer was,  of course, a significant responsible actor for the ever increasing disintegration of standards on American TV.   Who exactly mourns this fellow?

His friends and colleagues and loved ones, just like anyone else.

kaysixteen

OK, but it doesn't mean anyone else has, nor that we should not condemn him for his bad actions.

Harlow2

My dearest friend, who saw me through a very difficult time.  A big sister, in a way, with an acute understanding of human behavior and a warmth that drew children and adults alike to her.  She faced her own difficulties with quiet resolve until dementia foreclosed that.

apl68

A friend of mine at church, a few years older than me, just lost a son who was only in his early 30s.  This son had had a twin who died in childhood.  And the father has quite recently had a severe bout of illness that he is still recuperating from.

I saw him at church Sunday.  During our conversation he told a joke and laughed.  It was a good sign.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

traductio

Quote from: Anselm on May 01, 2023, 07:31:47 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gordon-lightfoot-dead-1.6828991

I just saw that. When I was a kid, my parents loved Gordon Lightfoot, and we'd listen to his music as we drove for hours to visit grandparents. (We always lived 1000+ miles away and never flew.) His music was a formative part of my childhood.

secundem_artem

Quote from: traductio on May 02, 2023, 05:37:38 AM

I just saw that. When I was a kid, my parents loved Gordon Lightfoot, and we'd listen to his music as we drove for hours to visit grandparents. (We always lived 1000+ miles away and never flew.) His music was a formative part of my childhood.

A bad year for musicians from the Great White North.  Robbie Bachman (drummer for Bachman Turner Overdrive) died in January and brother Tim (original rhythm guitarist for BTO) just last week - although the dude had some serious legal problems that seem to have been swept under the rug.

Mrs Artem used to go regularly to Lightfoot's annual 1 week residency at Massey Hall back in the 70's. She told me some nights he was just terrific and other nights he'd be drunk and abusing the audience.  I guess genius may have a price.

RIP to them all.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Anselm

Quote from: traductio on May 02, 2023, 05:37:38 AM

Yes, it is the same with myself.  My parents played the adult contemporary easy listening radio stations in the car.  My young brain was molded by Gordon, Neil Diamond, Streisand, Karen Carpenter, etc.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

jimbogumbo

Langue_doc

The link above doesn't seem to work.
Here's the NYT article with links to the following: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/13/books/cormac-mccarthy-dead.html

QuoteCormac McCarthy (1933-2023)
Obituary
A Guide to His Books
5 Film Adaptations to Stream
Food in His Writing
1992 Profile
Early Interviews

Langue_doc

QuoteRobert Gottlieb, Eminent Editor From le Carré to Clinton, Dies at 92
At Simon & Schuster, Alfred A. Knopf and The New Yorker, he polished the work of a who's who of mid-to-late 20th century writers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/14/books/robert-gottlieb-dead.html

QuoteMr. Gottlieb edited novels by, among many others, John le Carré, Toni Morrison, John Cheever, Joseph Heller, Doris Lessing and Chaim Potok; science fiction by Michael Crichton and Ray Bradbury; histories by Antonia Fraser and Barbara Tuchman; memoirs by former President Bill Clinton and Katharine Graham, the former publisher of The Washington Post; and works by Jessica Mitford and Anthony Burgess.

Quote"He wasn't just an editor, he was the editor," Mr. le Carré told The Times. "I never had an editor to touch him, in any country — nobody who could compare with him." He noted that Mr. Gottlieb, using No. 2 pencils to mark up manuscripts, often signaled changes with hieroglyphics in the margins: a wavy line for language too florid, ellipses or question marks advising a writer to "think harder and try again."

QuoteMr. Gottlieb joined Knopf in 1968 as vice president and editor in chief. He edited Robert Caro's Pulitzer-Prize winning biography of Robert Moses, "The Power Broker" (1974), cutting 400,000 words from a million-word manuscript with the author fuming at his elbow. Despite the brutal cuts, their collaboration endured for five decades and became the subject of a 2022 documentary, "Turn Every Page," directed by Lizzie Gottlieb, Mr. Gottlieb's daughter.

"I have never encountered a publisher or editor with a greater understanding of what a writer was trying to do — and how to help him do it," Mr. Caro said in a statement on Mr. Gottlieb's death.

Harlow2

I just watched "Turn Every Page" about the extraordinary collaboration between Gottlieb and Robert Caro. It's a lovely film, and Gottlieb's wit, both puckish and sly, is evident throughout.

kaysixteen

I have never read, barely heard of, McCarthy-- worth reading (I assume he is writer of fiction)?

Hegemony

Yes, Cormac McCarthy was one of the most celebrated American novelists of the last half-century. I have a feeling you wouldn't like his work, kaysixteen. It's quite violent in a weighty (as opposed to cartoony action-adventure) way.