Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Which colleges will survive?

Started by nebo113, April 22, 2020, 05:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on April 24, 2020, 11:20:16 AM
Quote from: dismalist on April 24, 2020, 11:09:51 AM
What Southern New Hampshire U is doing could be interesting. Part of it certainly is, namely the tuition cut part.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/snhu-to-cut-tuition-from-31-000-to-10-000-revamp-on-campus-learning/article_03612259-97b8-5ff6-9e1c-134b8e8d375d.html?block_id=664693

Call me a pessimist, but this is easier to do for 2000+ students on campus when you have 87000 online students.

Hadn't known about the 87K. Then this seems to be a route to eventually killing off all on-site classes, not just first year classes.

But what will garner the attention of others is the tuition drop.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Caracal

Search results for: sparklepony
Pages: [1]
General Discussion / Re: Which colleges will survive?
« by polly_mer on Today at 09:20:43 AM »
......  optimistic and are giving off that Professor Sparklepony vibe of "it's bad, but most of us are probably  ......
General Discussion / Re: Civility and the Pareto distribution
« by Caracal on April 15, 2020, 06:17:23 AM »
......  should be reading indicates that Professor Sparklepony is winning and we need still more people who will  ......
Teaching / Re: Crowded Classrooms and COVID
« by Caracal on April 11, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »
......  lives upheaval. The fora has the term "Professor Sparklepony" for the professor who has ignored all the  ......
General Academic Discussion / Re: Institutional Prestige vs Program Prestige For Interdisciplinary Field?
« by polly_mer on April 05, 2020, 06:57:33 AM »
......  only from personal experience is how Professor Sparklepony says things like "don't expect a job at the end"  ......
General Discussion / Re: Post your asides here
« by polly_mer on January 26, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
...... , lurkers who need someone other than Professor Sparklepony as well as anyone else who doesn't get enough  ......

Caracal

Quote from: Caracal on April 24, 2020, 11:57:59 AM
Search results for: sparklepony
Pages: [1]
General Discussion / Re: Which colleges will survive?
« by polly_mer on Today at 09:20:43 AM »
......  optimistic and are giving off that Professor Sparklepony vibe of "it's bad, but most of us are probably  ......
General Discussion / Re: Civility and the Pareto distribution
« by Caracal on April 15, 2020, 06:17:23 AM »
......  should be reading indicates that Professor Sparklepony is winning and we need still more people who will  ......
Teaching / Re: Crowded Classrooms and COVID
« by Caracal on April 11, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »
......  lives upheaval. The fora has the term "Professor Sparklepony" for the professor who has ignored all the  ......
General Academic Discussion / Re: Institutional Prestige vs Program Prestige For Interdisciplinary Field?
« by polly_mer on April 05, 2020, 06:57:33 AM »
......  only from personal experience is how Professor Sparklepony says things like "don't expect a job at the end"  ......
General Discussion / Re: Post your asides here
« by polly_mer on January 26, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
...... , lurkers who need someone other than Professor Sparklepony as well as anyone else who doesn't get enough  ......

On the other hand "Freeway Flier" hasn't made an appearance since the end of March.

Caracal

Quote from: polly_mer on April 24, 2020, 09:20:43 AM
  We're going to have a huge deflationary spiral; that's unavoidable.  The question at this point is whether we as the United States put concerted, governmental effort into keeping people alive by providing food, shelter, and health care or whether we let people ride things out essentially on their own and hope to rebuild an economy. 

No, there's nothing inevitable about it, the spiral happens when governments don't spend money to keep additional jobs from being lost or to create new jobs. The federal government can borrow money at essentially no interest right now. The price of oil went below 0, so it isn't like inflation is a big worry at the moment. They can and should spend money on all kinds of things like increased help to people laid off, temporary jobs, ,infrastructure projects, building up the public health system, to giving money to state governments to prevent huge cuts that would result in more people losing their jobs and lots of knock on effects. Will that happen? I don't know, but it definitely can.

Wahoo Redux

I suggest Doctor Thunderdome as a counterpoint to Professor Sparklepony.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 24, 2020, 02:00:20 PM
I suggest Doctor Thunderdome as a counterpoint to Professor Sparklepony.

This discussion puts me in mind of Princess Sparklepony's coverage of noted professor and academic administartor Condi Rice in years past when she was doing her alt-ac thing.

To keep it on topic: I predict that Stanford will survive.

Wahoo Redux

Two academics enter; one academic leaves with tenure. 

sprout

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 24, 2020, 02:21:10 PM

I think I saw a movie that had this.  Don't remember what it was and I'm sure the tenure thing was quite incidental to whatever the plot was.  But one of the characters was vying for tenure with a colleague - only one of the two would get it.

mahagonny

Quote from: sprout on April 25, 2020, 09:05:43 PM

I think I saw a movie that had this.  Don't remember what it was and I'm sure the tenure thing was quite incidental to whatever the plot was.  But one of the characters was vying for tenure with a colleague - only one of the two would get it.

And were they husband and wife?

sprout

Quote from: mahagonny on April 25, 2020, 10:06:42 PM

And were they husband and wife?

Maybe...?  Is it ringing a bell?

Stockmann

Gladiator? Spartacus? You know, the principle that if you've disembowelled a bunch of rivals, the crowds like you and the Emperor is in a good mood, you survive/get tenure.
On the other hand, given all the old certainties that are gone, not just in academia, even before coronavirus, well, The Hunger Games is such a hit for a reason - no doubt because a lot of young and not-so-young people felt they could relate.

hmaria1609

Quote from: Stockmann on April 26, 2020, 02:00:32 PM
On the other hand, given all the old certainties that are gone, not just in academia, even before coronavirus, well, The Hunger Games is such a hit for a reason - no doubt because a lot of young and not-so-young people felt they could relate.
Suzanne Collins has a prequel novel The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes releasing May 19th. Coriolanus Snow, age 18, is assigned to mentor a District 12 female tribute for the 10th annual Hunger Games.
There's a movie adaptation in the works.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 23, 2020, 06:13:12 PM
Quote from: downer on April 23, 2020, 04:34:52 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 23, 2020, 01:53:51 PM
Quote from: downer on April 23, 2020, 07:54:38 AM
There is the added vector of how states are going to fund state colleges during a recession. Hopefully higher education will be a priority for states, and maybe the federal govt will do more to support higher education that it deems essential.

Publicize.

That's a little cryptic. Actually, a lot cryptic.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be.  Comes from an ongoing debate that most posters ignore, I believe.

My position (which others dismiss): One of the ways, perhaps the only way, that we are going to survive is by motivating the general populace to help our colleges and universities.  It will be a doubly uphill battle thanks to our lovely COVID.

I just mean that we have to get the word out (writing letters to politicians, letters to editors, editorials, magazine features; Facebook, Twitter, etc.; rallies, interviews; contacting family, friends, alumni, students, potential students, parents, etc.) that our higher ed is in grave danger of crumbling.  Even given the looming recession (which I pray will not be a depression) we can still advocate for ed.

I'm working on two articles now, one on a college closing in my current U.S. state, one on a university in my home state.  Publications are open to these kinds of things.

Publicize our views on essential higher ed.

Sorry to rain on your parade, in a way, but this is obvious: nobody's going to be too surprised that people who've made good money as professors want the public to cough up more to fund colleges. That view has been getting expressed at least since I first began teaching. Some will be reading these articles voyeuristically. Like slowing down to look at an auto accident.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 28, 2020, 05:42:34 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 23, 2020, 06:13:12 PM
Quote from: downer on April 23, 2020, 04:34:52 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 23, 2020, 01:53:51 PM
Quote from: downer on April 23, 2020, 07:54:38 AM
There is the added vector of how states are going to fund state colleges during a recession. Hopefully higher education will be a priority for states, and maybe the federal govt will do more to support higher education that it deems essential.

Publicize.

That's a little cryptic. Actually, a lot cryptic.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be.  Comes from an ongoing debate that most posters ignore, I believe.

My position (which others dismiss): One of the ways, perhaps the only way, that we are going to survive is by motivating the general populace to help our colleges and universities.  It will be a doubly uphill battle thanks to our lovely COVID.

I just mean that we have to get the word out (writing letters to politicians, letters to editors, editorials, magazine features; Facebook, Twitter, etc.; rallies, interviews; contacting family, friends, alumni, students, potential students, parents, etc.) that our higher ed is in grave danger of crumbling.  Even given the looming recession (which I pray will not be a depression) we can still advocate for ed.

I'm working on two articles now, one on a college closing in my current U.S. state, one on a university in my home state.  Publications are open to these kinds of things.

Publicize our views on essential higher ed.

Sorry to rain on your parade, in a way, but this is obvious: nobody's going to be too surprised that people who've made good money as professors want the public to cough up more to fund colleges. That view has been getting expressed at least since I first began teaching. Some will be reading these articles voyeuristically. Like slowing down to look at an auto accident.

Sorry, my friend, you do not have enough cloud-cover to rain on my parade. While it is certainly true that the general populace wants more from higher ed and can be very critical of higher ed, the populace also supports higher ed.  This to me sounds like typical human behavior toward our institutions: we love and hate them at the same time.  And Democrats support ed, Repubs not as much or least not in the same way. Do a Google search on support for higher ed.

Some highlights:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/461106-majority-of-voters-support-free-college-eliminating-student-debt

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/06/17/survey-shows-publics-support-and-qualms-about-higher-education

https://www.thirdway.org/polling/beyond-free-college-and-free-markets-voters-want-greater-accountability-in-higher-ed

From Above:
Despite a recent deluge of negative news coverage surrounding institutions of higher education, Americans continue to view the overall system favorably. This rings true for trade schools, public community colleges, and four-year colleges and universities, boasting overall favorability ratings of 75, 72, and 43 points, respectively. Only proprietary or for-profit schools elicited a negative reaction from voters.

Mahagonny, you are a good dude but you simply want to insist on finding the dark lining. 

Why are you so angry?

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 28, 2020, 06:38:15 PM

Sorry, my friend, you do not have enough cloud-cover to rain on my parade. While it is certainly true that the general populace wants more from higher ed and can be very critical of higher ed, the populace also supports higher ed.  This to me sounds like typical human behavior toward our institutions: we love and hate them at the same time.  And Democrats support ed, Repubs not as much or least not in the same way. Do a Google search on support for higher ed.

Some highlights:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/461106-majority-of-voters-support-free-college-eliminating-student-debt

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/06/17/survey-shows-publics-support-and-qualms-about-higher-education

https://www.thirdway.org/polling/beyond-free-college-and-free-markets-voters-want-greater-accountability-in-higher-ed

From Above:
Despite a recent deluge of negative news coverage surrounding institutions of higher education, Americans continue to view the overall system favorably. This rings true for trade schools, public community colleges, and four-year colleges and universities, boasting overall favorability ratings of 75, 72, and 43 points, respectively. Only proprietary or for-profit schools elicited a negative reaction from voters.

Mahagonny, you are a good dude but you simply want to insist on finding the dark lining. 

Why are you so angry?

Well, does it have to be about me again?  I'm going to be angry if someone wants to raise my taxes to make higher education 'free.' I'm trying to save up for the years coming when we won't we able to work as much, or be hired as much. Our child already attended college and we paid the freight. Still paying for graduate school.
Particularly when I know how higher education gets its labor executed. The subclass of workers. The more money that you hope will head for college budgets would be available to people like Polly_Mer's provost Bob and the tenure track that he plays ball with. Wealth redistribution - upwards.