News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

I didn't know you could start lettuce from ends either-- now I want to try with the romaine in my fridge.

The scallions in a jar of water on the windowsill thing really does work-- Now I feel duped into buying many unnecessary scallions in the past when I could have had a self-renewing supply! I wonder how long I can keep the same bunch going?

And the dill won't stay delicate archaeo-- it will get very tall with big flower stalks later in the summer, so give it plenty of room where you plant it out (and it will self-seed, which is either a feature or a bug depending on how you feel about volunteer plants coming up all over your garden next year).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

archaeo42

Here's a link if anyone is wondering about the lettuce thing: https://www.almanac.com/news/gardening-news/salad-garbage

Edited to add: I change the water nearly daily and just use what's in the tap. It also sits on the window ledge of the kitchen window. I don't use any of the set up described in the link, so things grow a bit more slowly.

Puget, I consider self-seeding a feature. I'm a lazy gardener. Anything I can leave and do minimal maintenance on is a plus.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

evil_physics_witchcraft

There are several types of veg that you can grow from ends- celery, lettuce, carrot tops. I saw a video the other day where onions were grown from scraps (big bulbs of onion).

Thursday's_Child

Planting the extra potatoes and scallions I knew about - celery and lettuce will be tried soon.

I think I'm about to be over-run with snack cucumbers.  I planted three of a self-fertile variety and 10 flowers bloomed yesterday....

spork

It took until Monday for the muriate of potash I had ordered to arrive. So now I've got tomato, basil, and Japanese eggplant seedlings in the dirt, along with seeds for cucumbers, onions, acorn squash, and chard.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Kron3007

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 19, 2020, 10:52:15 AM
There are several types of veg that you can grow from ends- celery, lettuce, carrot tops. I saw a video the other day where onions were grown from scraps (big bulbs of onion).

Some of these are ok, but for most I don't think it makes much sense and for some it would be a waste.  For example, for the bulb onion, if it grows, will probably just flower and be a waste of space.  For carrots, you will not get a proper carrot even if it grows.  Better off just growing them from seed...

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Kron3007 on May 22, 2020, 04:50:30 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 19, 2020, 10:52:15 AM

Some of these are ok, but for most I don't think it makes much sense and for some it would be a waste.  For example, for the bulb onion, if it grows, will probably just flower and be a waste of space.  For carrots, you will not get a proper carrot even if it grows.  Better off just growing them from seed...

The carrot tops will just grow the greens, not the root. And I did see someone grow bulb onions from scraps (as long as the hairy root part was present). It was pretty neat to see. Although, flowers are still good to attract pollinators. :)

sinenomine

After a slow start thanks to a cool Spring, my flower garden is coming up quickly. Only a couple blooms so far, but the hummingbirds and bees are monitoring things regularly.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on May 19, 2020, 05:22:42 AM
I've started carrots and potatoes before, but I didn't realize you could do the green-and-leafy's that way as well!

You learn something new everyday...!

M.

Talk about coincidences!  Yesterday I was reading through book reviews as part of my collection development work, and lo and behold I saw this new item:

Regrow Your Veggies:  Growing Vegetables From Roots, Cuttings, and Scraps, by Melissa Raupach and Felix Lill

It got a favorable review.  I'm considering it for our collection.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

The potatoes were tiny but tasty.

I had enough to make a creamy potato chowder with bacon and celery.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

archaeo42

I planted my eggplant. Some of my squash seedlings were far enough along that I put them outside to harden off. I think I'll move them to the garden bed today or tomorrow. I transplanted some of the tomato seedlings to larger pots. Those have also been left outdoors since our weather has finally seemed to turn the corner, although I'll bring them in for any heavy rain/winds until they're bigger.

Of my herbs, the basil seems to be doing the best. The tarragon and dill haven't show much growth lately.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

apl68

Gardenia blossoms
Stained and wilted in the rain
But the shrub is well
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

After a couple of weeks of rain/clouds/mist/gloom:  weeds.  I just cleaned out the herb bed last week, making sure to pull up the roots (mainly chickweed and some crabgrass), yet here they are again.

Puget

Everything seems to be growing well so far-- the tomatoes and peppers are inching upward in their cages, the zucchinis are getting big and about to bloom, the peas I started inside are climbing their trellis and the ones I planted from seed have all sprouted.

I planted greens from seed this past weekend and today they are coming up.

I also got some herbs in little pots with my grocery order (the kind you're supposed to just use from the pot on your windowsill) and stuck them in the ground-- so far they have all taken well to their new freedom, except the basil which is very floppy after being too long confined but starting to revive a bit.

My bare root strawberry starts finally arrived yesterday after being a week in transit-- they were sprouting, which I'm not sure they were supposed to be (they are supposed to ship dormant) so I stuck them in the the ground immediately and watered really well-- hopefully they make it, and if not they are guaranteed for a year.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Green beans are coming in. Potatoes are growing. I also have some dill and parsley in pots.