News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Missed automata. Another long day.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwH yesterday to find autumn and taut, which I usually get fairly fast.  Oh well!  Today I have the pangram and five words to go.

LB:  I first found the "official" choruses-skewing, then found a much less economical workhorses-securing. I have found a 2fer today as well.

Langue_doc, I did not know that sandhill cranes were this far east!  That must have been quite a sight.

My husband and I went to a trail we call Turtle Town yesterday and saw the usual painted turtles and what I think was a solitary sandpiper.  My husband took photos; the only other candidate would be a lesser yellowlegs, but this seemed like a smaller bird, and the legs were not yellow.  The green heron was there also, and kept perching as if posing for pictures.  We didn't walk far—he's not up to our usual 2-mile walk—but it was good to be outside, and I think he felt better afterwards. 

Anyway—happy puzzling!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBwSBB for antonymy. New word! LB cukes-showering.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Not quite to genius yet, but I do have the pangram.  Had to get up and take my car in for a recall notice (again) for shrapnel in the air bag.  I had the initial fix done 8 years ago! Anyway, no coffee yet, either, and I didn't get to work on any other puzzles.  We needed bee buddy help for outman, which I thought at first was a noun instead of a verb and had no idea what it meant.   Looking at the reader clue for that word cleared it up.  Emphasis on second syllable.  Duh.

For LB I had knowing-grouches.  Lots of variety!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

I had knowing/grouches too--tried to visualize know-it-all grouches.

cathwen, the bird is most likely a solitary sandpiper which is much smaller than a lesser yellowlegs. As noted by you, the latter has distinctly yellow legs. We saw several of both species yesterday (stream/swamp/marshy area) and the former earlier this morning. Glad to hear that husband is out and about. Hope the infusion appointments go well.

Today's highlights were seeing a couple of chicks standing up and trying out their wings in their nest. Parent red-tailed hawks were probably the ones we saw flying earlier in the walk. We also saw a barn swallow with a feather in its beak which didn't make it inside the nest box (https://blackrun.org/nest-box/). The partner in the nest kept poking its head out, but no amount of trying or encouragement could get a long inflexible feather held upright in a beak into a small round hole. A few minutes later the bird had to contend with a couple of what looked like potential squatters.

Now shrapnel in the airbag sounds like a whole cluster of incompetences/malfunctions. Hope the manufacturer gives you a replacement soon.

Had to get up at 4:30 yesterday and 4 today. At least today's walk was a short morning walk in the city, aimed at people who needed to be at work between 9-10.

ab_grp

Got a 2fer! Finally!

And past genius, but still a ways to go on the bee.

Langue_doc, apparently the cause of explosive metal shrapnel in my airbag (Takata) is "airbags that use ammonium-nitrate-based propellant without a chemical drying agent" https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-recalls-defects/takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-a1060713669/  Supposedly the initial remedy repair from 2015 takes care of it, but after whatever settlement they are now replacing whatever altogether.  67 million have been recalled! Apparently over 30 people have been killed, which doesn't sound like a lot in comparison, but I feel like safety devices shouldn't have explosive shrapnel when deployed and would rather not find out.

I forgot to mention that we also actually bought furniture yesterday! We were going to go today but wanted to avoid having to deal with picking up my car and etc.  So we bought the loveseat, dining table and chairs, and added a coffee table.  And husband saw a bedframe he liked and a couple other odds and ends (some cute and comfy swivel chairs and a chess/backgammon table ?!), but I convinced him that we do not need to go totally nuts all at once.  So we bought it on Mother's Day, and it should be ready in 6 weeks, or right around his 50th birthday.

Langue_doc, I'm glad you got to have two days of good bird walks, though super early.  Glad it was worth it! That's funny about the bird with spatial awareness issues. 

Cathwen, I'm also glad that you and your husband were able to get out for a walk and hope that he continues to feel much better.  Each little bit helps.  Sounds like you saw a fair amount of feathered friends as well.

We missed spending time with the birds this morning with the car drop off and actual rain that prevented outdoor puzzling.  I just asked my husband a few days ago when it last rained, and he said the fall!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB. Last words yesterday were opted and another familiar word that I should have seen earlier in the puzzle.

encrypts/squib

ab_grp, congrats on the new furniture.

Belated Mother's Day to you all! I was up and about birding that day so forgot all about it (my mother is deceased).

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwG, guessed at octopod. LB encrypts-squib.

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwH to find co-opt/ed.  I got octopod on a guess.  Today I am at genius with the pangram.

LB:  I also had encrypts-squib.  No 2fer yet today. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday we needed help from bee buddy for pome, which I guess we forgot about.

I also got encrypts-squib.

Thanks, Langue_doc!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius.

Last word yesterday was inlay.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius and pangram, but the remaining words have me stumped.  All 4 and 5 letters.  How hard can it be?  Yesterday idly, dillydally, and diddly were my last words, thanks to SBB.

LB:  No 2fer yesterday!  But I have one today. 

Today we're driving to Middle Daughter's house to hear Grandson play in his school's orchestra.  He and a friend will be performing a viola-violin duet (GS plays viola) as part of it.  I've heard him practice, but I've never heard him play in a concert format, so I am very excited! 

Anyway...happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QB-1, went to the grid and remembered dahlia.

LB was close to the 3fer with kinetic-chafed-dog then got a hint for ketogenic-chafed. Never would have gotten that on my own.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday we both got to QBABO.  I think my final word was allay.

No 2fer here, either.  I tried! I don't think I would have gotten ketogenic

Congrats on getting one today, cathwen! And enjoy the recital.  That's neat that they are doing a duet.  Youngest (who is visiting briefly on post-semester college break before heading back up for work during the summer) also played viola.  I don't really know that many folks who play it, as most seem to pick violin.  Anyway, I am sure GS will be wonderful, and you are sure to love it regardless. 

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Four pangrams and well above genius. Last word was appropriately omega.

rituals/smokey

Enjoy the visit and the recital, cathwen. Relative's pre-teen also plays the viola and just participated in a recital.

Happy solving