News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and above genius. QB yesterday.

unmaintained/dowager (sounds like an oxymoron)

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for cacti /facepalm among others. LB groundwater-remain. Quick 2fer today.

Speaking of Meetup, the person I trade SB and LB results with, and occasional hints, is someone I met on Meetup! We were on a lunch break on a hike, sitting near each other, and noticed our bright yellow phone screens.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and past genius so far.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for vivace.

I also got unmaintained-dowager yesterday for LB.  Always glad to be in such esteemed company!

Thanks again for the Meetup info, ciao_yall and Langue_doc! It sounds like a great resource.  Nice that you have been able to meet good people over the years in various circumstances and stay in touch or not as you wished.  Langue_doc, sounds like there was even some (mild?) drama there to spice things up among the smoother relationships! I guess that's inevitable.

Oops, I just realized I never posted this from a few hours ago!

Happy solving!

On preview: That's a cool connection to make, ciao_yall! Sounds like you have stayed in touch for a while, because I remember you mentioning meeting her.  I didn't realize it was due to Meetup!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last word yesterday was rotgut.

ropes/sanctify

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

No luck with pangram yet and not to genius.  Pangram was husband's first word, so I am not too daunted.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for wroth.

For LB, after trying a thousand things, I finally got portents-scarify right before bed! Congrats, Langue_doc! Some variety already.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwG and a wild guess for wroth. LB forties-synaptic.

ab_grp, Langue_doc, re: Meetup. I had been trying to get my husband to go along. He never wanted to. "I like to walk at my own pace. I don't like making small talk."

Finally got him to come along a few times, either on the hike itself or afterwards at the post-walk-drink-hangout. He had a great time! "Pace wasn't too fast, so if I wanted to stop and look at something I could catch up. And I met some really interesting people!"

Still, every time I ask him if he wants to come along... "I like to walk at my own pace. I don't like making small talk."

Meh.

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, congrats on yet another different 2fer! Your husband's perspective sounds pretty familiar.  I would probably be reluctant to go, as I also like to walk at my own pace not feel like I have to make small talk (if conversation arises organically, great), but then I'd probably enjoy it and yet be reluctant to go the next time.  Ha! The post-walk-drink hangout does sound more like my speed.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius but no pangram. QB yesterday--don't recall my last couple of words.

backup/porting

Twofer today.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Slowly made my way to genius and then just before end of puzzle time I saw the pangram! Thank goodness.  Tough one today.  We needed bee buddy yesterday for geoid, gigolo.  Congrats on QB, Langue_doc! The second word is certainly familiar (and one I often miss), but we had to look up the first one.

I could not let go of bankrupt(ing) as a contender yesterday and failed to get a 2fer.  :-( Congrats on yours and on another today, Langue_doc!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for geoid, gigolo, dogie. I got doggie and kept thinking of the song "Git along little dogies" but didn't think to try it. LB backpacking-grout.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer!

Congrats on yours from yesterday, ciao_yall. 

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwSBB, wild guess at yenned. LB subclimate-extol.

Hiking today with Meetup group and will see my SB/LB solving friend! Hope I'm at least at genius before I get there.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

After a great deal of toiling, I got almost to genius (50+ words in!) and no pangram, then finally got the pangram and over the line.  Hard to believe there's only one with all those words and points.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for acidy, cynic.  I didn't realize the first one was a word.

For LB, I got obtuse-exclaim.  Congrats on yours, ciao_yall! Variety! And I have another 2fer today.

Enjoy your Meetup hike, too, and time with your solving friend!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius. I can't access the words I missed yesterday because the bee wants you to continue solving the puzzle. Aaargh!

I know I had a twofer yesterday--if I can only find the scrap of paper on which I wrote my solution.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning! QB and also QB yesterday. I wouldn't consider the pangram to be a real word. Words that I thought were acceptable didn't make it to the list.

exclaims/subtotal, and economizer/radish from the previous puzzle

As for meetup, you have to be selective about the groups and also the hike leaders because often you find cliques and also leaders who cater to people they know. I've hiked long enough with these groups to know which ones to avoid. Side conversations are sometimes a problem too because most of the walks/hikes I join have a theme--history, architecture, and so on--so it's an annoyance when you can't hear the leader. I'm also not comfortable with some of the groups blocking sidewalks so people who have the right of way have to get around us. I keep apologizing to people, especially when they have walk or run on the busy streets because of a large group of people blocking their way. There are so many different groups so you can try out the group and/or hike leader to see if it would be a good fit for you.