News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QBwG, last word bocce. LB frown-neighborly.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram and a bit more so far.  Yesterday I got to QBABM! I had thought I needed a 6, but it was actually a 5 (celeb, which I saw and realized I did not already have). 

No luck on LB! Darn it! Congrats, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius. I think yesterday's last word was coke.

Went on an interesting architectural walk yesterday in a neighborhood that I've never visited before. I've gone on walks with this leader before, so was looking forward to this event. The weather was most cooperative!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and above genius before leaving this morning. There's probably another one, given the number of points to get to QB. Last word yesterday was goat.

Checked out the time/distance for a walk I'm co-leading next month. Fortunately, traffic wasn't too bad considering the route and this particular weekend.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Husband and I each have 2/4 pangrams and are a bit past genius.  Yesterday we had team QB.  I think I was missing agog, along, longan.

For LB, I got kibitzed before dinner and then managed to see lovesick as I was brushing my teeth before bed, and I realized they went together! Thankfully! And I have another 2fer today.

Langue_doc, sounds like you have had some nice outings this weekend! I have never gone on an architectural walk but went on an architectural boat ride in Chicago years ago that was really interesting.  Just lots of things I didn't know or really think about.  I'm so glad you had such nice weather and a good guide for it.  And great that you got your walk scoped out and things look good there! I saw that the guy targeted by Central Park Karen while birdwatching (Christian Cooper) got a new show on National Geographic called Extraordinary Birder and had an article in the NYT a couple days ago about birdwatching: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/26/opinion/birds-freedom.html  I didn't get a chance to read it yet, but I figured I'd pass it on in case you hadn't seen it and were interested.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwATHICG including Googling a list of fruits to find longan. LB lovesick-kibitzed after a solving friend pointed out I was very close with the rather saucy loved-dick-kibitzes. Quick 2fer today.

Happy solving!

cathwen

¡Hola de España! 

We've been traveling, so not much time for puzzling.  I got to QB only with substantial help from the Bee Buddy, quickly last night.  Today I'm at genius with only one pangram, and probably will not get much further.

LB:  No solution yesterday, but I found one today.

Langue_doc, that must have been an interesting walk!  Ab_grp, I noticed that article in the Times, but have not had a chance to read it yet.

We're in Barcelona now, but will leave tomorrow.  We've met some other people who will be on the cruise, and they've all been vey nice.  And I really like Barcelona—and I love the fact that almost all the signs are in Catalan. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

cathwen, glad that you're on vacation, cruising.

I resorted to BB to find the missing pangrams and another word that I think is too exotic to be included in the bee.

Here's the link to the NYT article
QuoteWhat's in a Word
According to the teaser,
Can You Guess These 10 Wacky Words From the Scripps Spelling Bee?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/05/26/us/scripps-spelling-bee-quiz.html?searchResultPosition=1

ab_grp, yes, I did see that article about the birder. He's on the board of the NYC Audubon. Long ago, before the pandemic, I remember chatting with him on one of the bird walks. Unfortunately, although he's still in the news, unleashed dogs are still running around in the ramble, and dogs are routinely walked in the Hallett Nature Sanctuary, also in Central Park, despite signs noting that dogs are not allowed.

The architectural walks are part of one of my hiking group events/walks. Most of the hikes these days are organized around a theme or location, with the leader commenting on history, architecture, and other details during the walk which makes it much more interesting than just walking. I should have taken notes on Friday, and also on other walks with this leader because some of the buildings we saw had very interesting antecedents. For my upcoming walk, I have to brush up on my history of this area and also research the architecture/architects associated with this area. Walks are posted on Meetup, and are limited to a certain number of participants, so one just signs up as soon as the event is online. Other than the annual membership, there are no other expenses unless we are visiting a place such as a museum that requires admission tickets or transportation charges from the central bus and/or train stations.

Found a twofer after a long dry spell.

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on May 28, 2023, 12:15:41 PM
¡Hola de España! 

We've been traveling, so not much time for puzzling.  I got to QB only with substantial help from the Bee Buddy, quickly last night.  Today I'm at genius with only one pangram, and probably will not get much further.

LB:  No solution yesterday, but I found one today.

Langue_doc, that must have been an interesting walk!  Ab_grp, I noticed that article in the Times, but have not had a chance to read it yet.

We're in Barcelona now, but will leave tomorrow.  We've met some other people who will be on the cruise, and they've all been vey nice.  And I really like Barcelona—and I love the fact that almost all the signs are in Catalan. 

Happy puzzling!

¡Hola! Me gustaba Barcelona mucho!

Did you get a chance to see the Sagrada Familia?

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius or so.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I was missing two pangrams.  Husband had one of them, infinitude, and of course had to smack himself (figuratively) when I came up with the fourth one based on that.  I am not sure I even knew finitude was a word, but I guess it makes sense? It has a line under it, though.  Hmm.  He thought finetune(d) might be acceptable, but I guess they are hyphenated.  Good try, though.

For LB, I finally got phantasm-majority.  I thought that might be schmofficial, but I guess not!

Cathwen, I'm so glad to hear that you have set sail and are enjoying your trip! I wondered when that was coming up.  Bon voyage! Or buen viaje, I guess! Sadly had to look that one up.  Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!

Langue_doc, that's a neat little walking group idea.  I guess Meetup is an app.  I think you mentioned it on the hiking thread, at least.  is this a leisurely stroll with architectural detail? Or an exercise walk? I would guess it might get difficult in certain areas of the city at particular times of the year to stay in a cluster.  How do you all hear all the details that are being shared with wind, space, and other city noises? If you are going somewhere that requires transpo or entry, does the admin take care of arranging all that, so you just show up and pay up?  If so, that would appeal to me.  As long as I don't have to figure out logistics for group activities (and the choices made are reasonable), I'm happy. 

Ciao_yall, your sauce 3fer almost made me lose my coffee! hahaaa...

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

I thought I was doing great until I realized I only had 1 of 4 pangrams! So I made up finitude and voila! Needed the 2LL for fifteen though. LB rajah-hypnosis. Quick 2fer this morning.

ab_grp you were asking about Meetup? I found it through a friend on WW and joined a bunch of hiking groups. Have made a lot of new friends and acquaintances! Always lively discussion and good exercise.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius. Needed help with finitude, infinitude, and heff (or was it haff?).

hypnotism/major

ab_grp, I've been a member of the hiking groups that now use Meetup to list their events for at least a couple of decades, so I know several people who are also members of more than one group. Some of these groups are behind a paywall which means that their listings on Meetup are visible only to members in good standing (who have coughed up their membership fee). You just sign up for a Meetup account on your computer--I think I use the app and not the website on the phone--and you get notified as soon as an event is posted by one of your groups. I'm not sure if you can see what's listed on this website, but do give it a try: https://www.meetup.com/outdoorsclubny/
Here's another one: https://www.meetup.com/amcnynj/

Details of where to meet, how to get there (subway, bus/train schedules and fares, etc.) restroom locations, what to bring along, etc. are provided in the write-up for each event.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and to genius or thereabouts.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for keno.

For LB, I got the schmofficial bequeath-horizon, but it took a while! I kept going down the wrong road.

Thanks for the info about Meetup, ciao_yall and Langue_doc! It sounds like a nice opportunity for folks wanting to get out and about and also meet some people.  Are the people usually people you would want to meet? I guess it depends what kinds of outings you sign up for.  I looked at the ones around my area and had no idea there were so many going on! Sounds like they don't actually make arrangements for transportation or buy tickets for the group but do provide pretty thorough DIY info.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB with just the grid - last word innie. LB bequeath-horizon.

ab_grp Yes, I have met a lot of interesting people and have had great conversations and made real friends. Fairly wide range of ages, but the ones I gravitate to seem to be in the 40+ range, with a few young "old souls." Just keep trying and you'll find your crowd.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Easy QB today. Missed enoki and noogie yesterday.

ab_grp, trip leaders are volunteers so don't get involved with transportation and related issues that paid trips routinely handle. We do need to sign waivers acknowledging that the organization is not responsible for injuries or other adverse effects from the trip. I've met interesting people on these walks--I once found an apartment through a fellow hiker when I lived in the midwest. Another fellow hiker who lived within walking distance would have me over for a movie and dessert on occasion. I've also been asked out on dates here and also in the Midwest. Nice people, so stayed friendly with them without getting into any complications. A fellow hiker from my midwest days was surprised (probably peeved) that the person who had asked her out on a date had also approached me.

Happy solving!