News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The bicycle thread

Started by fleabite, November 11, 2020, 05:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hegemony

I just bike to the university and back. A lot cheaper than paying to park my car, plus it counts as (a minimal amount of) exercise. I actually bought a house in my current location so I would be within cycling range of work. It takes 15 minutes, or 12 minutes if I'm running late. It would be a lot faster except that I have to stop for a stop sign on practically every block. Not designed for cyclists in any way.

Those of you who have the energy for recreational cycling, I applaud you!

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: lightning on April 30, 2023, 07:18:54 PM
Anyone go biking in the Netherlands? I thought it was weird that no one was wearing helmets, so I didn't wear mine. I saw a couple of Americans wearing helmets and they looked ridiculous. BTW, those Dutch people bike really fast.

Yes, I spent a few months in Amsterdam as a young adult and biked daily. It is a great system they have, although not what we're accustomed to in the US. Definitely requires some getting used to.

apl68

Quote from: Volhiker78 on April 30, 2023, 02:35:08 PM
Quote from: larryc on April 30, 2023, 10:55:40 AM
Whose got summer bicycling plans?

I bought an ebike a few years ago and wheeee! It is like a regular bicycle except you are 30 years younger. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy.

Last summer I rode from Montana to the Olympic coast, 650 miles, staying in hotels and riding mostly rail trails. IT WAS EPIC FUN. Now I'm trying to figure out the next adventure.

Who's got a bicycle trip planned? Or dreamed of?

I don't bike but I have driven portions of the Natchez Trace Parkway around Natchez and Nashville.  Car traffic during June when I was on it was very light.  But there were lots of cyclists. Here's an article about biking the trace:

https://www.scenictrace.com/top-3-tips-for-biking-the-natchez-trace-parkway/

It's scenic, not spectacular like Montana. I was visiting historic sites on and nearby the Parkway. There are places where the Original Natchez Trace is still visible and can be hiked for a short distance. I thought was pretty cool walking on such an old 'trail'.

The Trace south of Nashville is a fantastic place to drive and photograph!  I've got quite a few scenic photos from there.  The Parkway crosses a valley a little out of Nashville on a spectacular bridge that makes a fascinating photographic subject.  I've never cycled any of it, though.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

The Razorback Greenway in northwest Arkansas is turning into something of a Mecca for cyclists.  About 40 miles of mixed cycling and walking.  The best of the cycling is toward the northern end, where they have mountain bike trails paralleling the main paved trail.  During some of my down time from a conference there a few weeks ago I got to see and photograph some of that.  There are some wild mountain biking obstacles in places.  And some public art displays here and there beside the trail, including a Sasquatch made out of bicycle chains welded together.

https://razorbackgreenway.org/

I've never tried cycling any of the Razorback Greenway, but it's a favorite place to walk whenever I'm up in that region.  It passes right by Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, and several public parks.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Funastrum

I found a pair of pruning shears on my bike ride in yesterday.  The small kind like used for Bonsai.  They were in the gutter on the side of a busy road.  Looks like they fell from a moving vehicle.  I have found numerous tools over the years, but always more normal utilitarian things like hammers and wrenches.  I wonder at the story of the shears. 

fleabite

Having initiated this thread many moons ago, I figured I should check in. I still use my nearly 4-decade-old bicycle for almost all of my transportation. I am eager to visit a wildlife refuge (best known for its birdlife) that's about 15 miles away, so that's the next recreational ride I have in mind. I did a lovely 50-mile ride last fall around a distant part of my city and then rode most of the way home to achieve a metric century (if not an official one). My bicycle has given me much pleasure over the years.

Anselm

Have any of you ever participated in RAGBRAI?  I myself have not.  I am kind of a loner when cycling.  With the entire summer free for me I might start traveling to try out new bike trails. 

https://ragbrai.com/
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

larryc

Quote from: Anselm on May 08, 2023, 09:50:57 AMHave any of you ever participated in RAGBRAI?  I myself have not.  I am kind of a loner when cycling.  With the entire summer free for me I might start traveling to try out new bike trails. 

https://ragbrai.com/

My wife and I almost signed up for RAGBRAI a couple of weeks ago when registration opened. Then we had second thoughts. It sounds crowded and humid and kind of expensive when you sign up with a company to arrange your tent and an charging place for your ebike. Plus there are so many great, uncrowded bicycle routes we want to explore here in the PNW.

apl68

Wow--50 years of runs and counting, tens of thousands of participants.  Sounds like RAGBRAI is quite an event!  Not much for crowds, though, and I've never been in good enough shape to ride all day long for days on end.  Forty-odd miles is the most I've ever managed in a single day.  And never on consecutive days.

I'm currently looking for a new bike.  Mine is on its last legs.  The nearest bicycle shop is hours from here (by car), so I depend on whatever Wal-Mart has in stock.  Haven't much liked their stock lately.  It's all kids' bikes, bikes too short for me to ride, and mountain bikes with what look almost like ATV tires.