Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 11, 2022, 06:16:20 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 11, 2022, 03:52:49 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on April 11, 2022, 04:24:31 AM
Hmm..pal, she's probably not too pleased with people entrusted with teaching our children inserting themselves into the little one's sexual psyche.

And you have a typical propagandist, mahagonny.  You should be smarter.

What is most curious to me is that those people who are the most hateful, the most obnoxious, and the most untrustworthy are always the biggest babies.  Athey is just one whiney bully who starts a fight and then cries to the principal when she gets her ass kicked.

Y'all will be crying plenty when November comes.

You've gone too far down the rabbit hole, my friend.  One American News----you're wanted there.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Here you are: the republicans want to bring back Jim Crow. Some words of rapture for you, Professor Fishy.

https://newrepublic.com/article/165914/matthew-continetti-right-book-review-struggle-soul-gop

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 12, 2022, 08:22:03 AM
Here you are: the republicans want to bring back Jim Crow. Some words of rapture for you, Professor Fishy.

https://newrepublic.com/article/165914/matthew-continetti-right-book-review-struggle-soul-gop

Of course, January 6 was only the beginning. Republicans have turned against democracy, and peddlers of the Big Lie are laying the groundwork for the next coup. Experts tell us that a civil war might be around the corner, or that one is already here. After losing the popular vote in seven of the last eight presidential elections, the GOP is using every tool at its disposal to impose minority rule: gerrymandering, voter suppression, a hammerlock on the judiciary, a Senate tilted toward small states, and an Electoral College biased in favor of rural America.

All factual.

Wahoo Redux

Free Speech for Me, and Thee?

Lower deck from the article:

Princeton says it won't remove a reference to a professor's controversial comment about a Black student group from a university-sponsored webpage. Some say this is retaliation, but others say the pro–free speech professor is now advocating censorship.

This, BTW mahaggony, is a great example of a snowflake throwing down the gauntlet and then crying foul when he gets a fight.

Spew hate, get hate back.  I don't know what that is so hard for some people to reason out.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 13, 2022, 01:26:24 PM
Free Speech for Me, and Thee?

Lower deck from the article:

Princeton says it won't remove a reference to a professor's controversial comment about a Black student group from a university-sponsored webpage. Some say this is retaliation, but others say the pro–free speech professor is now advocating censorship.

This, BTW mahaggony, is a great example of a snowflake throwing down the gauntlet and then crying foul when he gets a fight.

Spew hate, get hate back.  I don't know what that is so hard for some people to reason out.

From the article:
In October, eight faculty members at Princeton reportedly filed an internal complaint that accused the university of trying to portray Katz as a racist, via a university-sponsored online project called "To Be Known and Heard: Systemic Racism at Princeton University." The site, which is led by the university's Carl A. Fields Center for Equality and Cultural Understanding and Office of Wintersession and Campus Engagement, and which has been featured in student orientation sessions, includes Katz's Black Justice League statement within a larger racial history of the university.

Princeton's formal response to the complaint said, in part, that the website wasn't an official university document—a position that Katz's supporters said was ridiculous. Michael Poliakoff, president of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni, for instance, wrote to Princeton to say that the university had put itself "in the position of violating its own rules by severely harassing a member of the academic community whose speech the president declared to be protected."

It sounds to me like the complaint is not so much that his earlier comments are publicized, but that they are the subject of a university-sponsored criticism. It's normal for faculty to disagree with one another in academic forums; it's another for an institution to publicly criticize one of its own in some non-judicial forum that doesn't allow for rebuttal. (The typical response to something the insitution  doesn't like is just "the views expressed by Prof. Extreme are his own and do not represent the views of the university" so they can distance themselves but without some sort of attack.)

It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

The question, however, revolves around Katz's response to counter-criticism.  Katz wants to use a hyperbolic pejorative to describe a university group.  He and his supporters attacked anyone who tried to censor Katz's free expression.  And then, with typical irony, Katz demands that the university not post material that can be perceived as demeaning.

I agree that it is unusual for a faculty to attack another faculty on a university forum, but as I understand the issue, Princeton faculty took it upon themselves to challenge Katz's point of view. 

Being a faculty member does not exempt one from criticism.

Katz opened his yap.  He made people mad.  Now he is mad that people are mad.

mahagonny

Isn't Princeton the school that employs Eddie Glaude? Maybe this professor should get himself out of the cesspool and start fresh.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 13, 2022, 03:49:52 PM
The question, however, revolves around Katz's response to counter-criticism.  Katz wants to use a hyperbolic pejorative to describe a university group.  He and his supporters attacked anyone who tried to censor Katz's free expression.  And then, with typical irony, Katz demands that the university not post material that can be perceived as demeaning.

I agree that it is unusual for a faculty to attack another faculty on a university forum, but as I understand the issue, Princeton faculty took it upon themselves to challenge Katz's point of view. 

It's not clear what is meant by "a university-sponsored online project called "To Be Known and Heard: Systemic Racism at Princeton University."  If there were just some internal university forum (eveen if visible to the public) where faculty could debate things, that would be fine, but if the university actually put re$ource$, such as cour$e relea$e$ if not actual ca$h, then it's not just some faculty disagreeing with a colleague.
The institution can't have it both ways; they're not credible if they say they "value free speech" on one hand and then provide resources and their backing to projects aimed at discrediting faculty with "wrong" views.

(To be clear: I have no problem with people publishing his past comments as long as they're as visible as they were originally, even if he'd like them to be forgotten. I just disagree with the smarminess of the institution trying to play both sides of the fence.)
It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Katz openly published his statements as a faculty member calling a student group on his own campus "terrorists."   It was not something that appeared on Facebook or Twitter.   So it is not something taken from Katz's private life or something taken out of context.  The man published his opinion; now he is mad that that opinion is being published.  He should have known that this would generate backlash.   

Since Katz published as a faculty member about his own campus, the campus has the right to challenge it

And then there's this:

The site, which is led by the university's Carl A. Fields Center for Equality and Cultural Understanding and Office of Wintersession and Campus Engagement, and which has been featured in student orientation sessions, includes Katz's Black Justice League statement within a larger racial history of the university.

Should the university censor the Center?

This is the quote that convinced me:

Wilson said in "Academe" that "Like Katz, I denounced the 2020 letter signed by numerous Princeton faculty because one proposal endangered academic freedom, and I would strongly denounce any effort to have Katz investigated or punished for his views. But Katz wasn't punished. And that standard of free speech belongs to Katz's critics as well as Katz himself." As for the notion that Katz has experienced retaliation, Wilsons said that this "should only refer to some kind of official penalty. Criticism is not retaliation. Criticism may be unfair, but the response should be counterspeech, not censorship. Redefining criticism as retaliation creates the danger of seeking to end the retaliation by silencing the criticism."

mahagonny

Angry mob or 75 chased student who then hid in a men's restroom, fearing for her life, and called 911. The mob was upset because the student was part of a 'conservative' group that invited Allen West, who is black, to speak on campus. His appearance had to be stopped as the crowd became unruly.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/student-group-leaders-report-harassment-after-conservative-commentators-speech-at-ub/article_f4ae991e-b76d-11ec-919e-933aaf30ab02.html

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 14, 2022, 06:06:21 AM
Angry mob or 75 chased student who then hid in a men's restroom, fearing for her life, and called 911. The mob was upset because the student was part of a 'conservative' group that invited Allen West, who is black, to speak on campus. His appearance had to be stopped as the crowd became unruly.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/student-group-leaders-report-harassment-after-conservative-commentators-speech-at-ub/article_f4ae991e-b76d-11ec-919e-933aaf30ab02.html

Spew hate, get hate in return.  It works for all sides.

Wahoo Redux

CHE:
What's Going On At Yale?  A Lot Of Drama.

Last month student protesters disrupted an event at the school. They were raucous, obnoxious even: Walls were banged on, slogans shouted, middle fingers extended. The ire of the 100 or so students was directed mostly at Kristen Waggoner, general counsel of the Alliance Defending Freedom, which bills itself as the largest legal organization devoted to "religious freedom, free speech, and the sanctity of life." Scroll through ADF's website, and you'll see the group is opposed to gay marriage, abortion, and transgender women participating in women's sports. The students were upset, too, with the Federalist Society for inviting Waggoner and also, apparently, with Kate Stith, a longtime Yale Law professor who moderated the event and who, at one point, told the protesters to "grow up," an admonition that inspired further derision. (As it happens, the influential Federalist Society was born at Yale during a three-day symposium in 1982.)

The fact that no one will talk frankly on the record speaks to an overall loss of trust between certain factions of professors. More than one of them mentioned to me that they feared their comments in faculty meetings would be recorded and leaked. It mirrors the distrust between members of the Federalist Society and progressive students, with both sides complaining that they're being recorded or photographed by their classmates in hopes the pictures or recordings will go viral and get them in trouble.

And, related:

Why I Didn't Apologize For That Email

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 14, 2022, 09:51:57 AM

I'm looking around for the hate being spewed by either Allen West or the students who invited him, and I don't see it. The name of the talk was 'America is not racist.' Is that the 'hate' you're referring to?

Wahoo Redux

This one made me kind of laugh:

Drag Show at Clemson Infuriates College Republicans

Here's a wee bit of hate for'ya, Big M.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on April 14, 2022, 10:10:23 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 14, 2022, 09:51:57 AM

I'm looking around for the hate being spewed by either Allen West or the students who invited him, and I don't see it. The name of the talk was 'America is not racist.' Is that the 'hate' you're referring to?

I was referring to everyone in this scenario, the students who chased and the students who invited a guy who says stuff like this:

"Indeed, there are Islamic terrorist training camps in America"
-- Allen West

"I want no part of peace with savages who throw acid on and gun down young girls going to school. I would prefer to crush them and kill them wherever they exist. That’s not being a warmonger. It’s being a realist."
-- Allen West

"I must confess, when I see anyone with an Obama 2012 bumper sticker, I recognize them as a threat to the gene pool."
-- Allen West

"When more Americans prefer freebies to freedom, these great United States will become a fertile ground for tyranny."
-- Allen West

"These Planned Parenthood women, the Code Pink women, and all of these women have been neutering American men and bringing us to the point of this incredible weakness...We are not going to have our men become subservient."
-- Allen West

"I'll give you a great example of an issue that no one brought up during this Florida primary, the fact that we're going to have a Chinese made oil rig put in place about 60 miles off the coast of Florida."
-- Allen West

Students are no so dumb that they fail to recognize a man who, as do many politicians (particularly of the conservative stripe these days), made a career out of demonizing other people. 

And don't forget "Young Americans for Freedom" is an organization that fosters hate.  Just look at their website.

I hope the students who chased and assaulted the Young Nutjob for Freedom are arrested and charged (if they are, indeed, guilty) but I can't feel to sorry for hatemongers who get hate in return.

Don't be stupid, mahagonny.