Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 30, 2022, 05:11:54 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on August 30, 2022, 03:23:58 AM
The Babylon Bee is banned from Tik Tok, and has already been banned from Twitter for not deleting a tweet. Tik Tok doesn't not believe they need to give a reason and they certainly don't, but I would be boycotting them now in response, except I can't because I've never used them.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/5/christian-satire-site-babylon-bee-banned-without-e/

We are an increasingly offendable society.  I cannot imagine a Merry Prankster bus journey, the movies Animal House or Airplane, or the jokes in The National Lampoon being tolerated these days.

At the same time, a private corporate entity has no obligation to carry content it thinks will damage its image or business, including social media.  Free speech is also the freedom NOT to say something.  I know that enrages some Trumpees.

Are you following the business with Joe Rogan's interview of Mark Zuckerberg? Zuck says, if I remember correctly, that the FBI warned Facebook about a pre-2020 election dump of Russian disinformation, with the result that FB reduced its circulation of anything coming from the NY Post, who of course broke the story that the laptop belonging to the current president's criminal son was real. And many voters now report that they would have voted differently had they known. So, as I understand it, while FB is a private corporate entity, there may be an allegation that they were 'state actors', that is, changing their content on request from the government, and inclined to take it seriously, as it's the FBI. Which means, potentially, suppression of free speech.

What if anything did the FBI tell twitter around that time? They suspended the NY Post. We may be finding out.

Wahoo Redux

I think Facebook was very responsible there.  Trump loves the Rooskies who, for some weird reason, wanted Trump in office.  Zuck acted like a good, loyal American. 

And no, it has not been confirmed that the laptop was Hunter's despite what a tabloid reported, and the poor embarrassing Hunter is in recovery.  I thought you might admire that.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

The Babylon Bee is banned from Tik Tok, and has already been banned from Twitter for not deleting a tweet. Tik Tok doesn't not believe they need to give a reason and they certainly don't, but I would be boycotting them now in response, except I can't because I've never used them.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/5/christian-satire-site-babylon-bee-banned-without-e/

We are an increasingly offendable society.  I cannot imagine a Merry Prankster bus journey, the movies Animal House or Airplane, or the jokes in The National Lampoon being tolerated these days.

At the same time, a private corporate entity has no obligation to carry content it thinks will damage its image or business, including social media.  Free speech is also the freedom NOT to say something.  I know that enrages some Trumpees.

But also, "silence is violence", according to many anti-Trumpees. So neither side gets off on that one.
It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 31, 2022, 03:53:46 AM

But also, "silence is violence", according to many anti-Trumpees. So neither side gets off on that one.

So?  Don't be silent.  Just don't force me to wear your sandwich board.

Think before you post, Marshy!!

marshwiggle

This is because until recently, people felt they had a right to privacy; i.e. they had a right to hold their own opinions as long as they didn't have to try and impose them on others. This has been replaced by feelings of a right to validation; i.e. they have a right to having their opinions supported by others. The problem is, that sense of "support" can only be maintained as long as the person doesn't get exposed to conflicting opinions. Only the most oppressive police state could even pretend to offer people the "freedom" from hearing anything that contradicts their own views. When privacy was the goal, no-one even had to pretend that everyone agreed with them to feel that society was operating as intended, but with validation as the goal, as soon as anyone hears a dissenting opinion it represents a failure of society.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 31, 2022, 10:54:02 AM

This is because until recently, people felt they had a right to privacy; i.e. they had a right to hold their own opinions as long as they didn't have to try and impose them on others. This has been replaced by feelings of a right to validation; i.e. they have a right to having their opinions supported by others. The problem is, that sense of "support" can only be maintained as long as the person doesn't get exposed to conflicting opinions. Only the most oppressive police state could even pretend to offer people the "freedom" from hearing anything that contradicts their own views. When privacy was the goal, no-one even had to pretend that everyone agreed with them to feel that society was operating as intended, but with validation as the goal, as soon as anyone hears a dissenting opinion it represents a failure of society.

The internet draws you and your opinions out into the open where they get either validated or fired upon. The pseudonymous forum can be a seduction of the id. As P. J. O'Rourke said (I'm going from memory, not quoting exactly) 'whose bright idea was it to put all the most ignorant, hot-headed people in the world instantly in touch with all the others like them? We don't need more love in the world. We need to leave each alone more often.'

Wahoo Redux

First watch the video.

Then I hope that this excellent article in The New York Times Magazine The Safe Space That Became a Viral Nightmare is not behind a paywall.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 09, 2022, 10:30:38 AM
First watch the video.

Then I hope that this excellent article in The New York Times Magazine The Safe Space That Became a Viral Nightmare is not behind a paywall.

Diversity and Inclusion is all rainbows and unicorns for everyone. It makes for so much more courtesy and civility.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 09, 2022, 11:24:14 AM

Diversity and Inclusion is all rainbows and unicorns for everyone.

Be fair, Marshy.  Don't fall into that pit of squalling, immature frustration.

There are valid reasons for "diversity."  It's how we deal with its problems that is important.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 09, 2022, 10:30:38 AM
First watch the video.

I read it a few days ago, but I did not watch the video.

Anyone marching around with a T-shirt that says anything of that nature about a President (and yes, that includes 45) is looking for a confrontation.

I'm a little less concerned about the sticker but I hope the student ultimately learns that things he thinks might be saying one thing are actually implying something else.

Those confronting them? They have a right to stand up for themselves. Not crazy about posting a video because I hope they ultimately learned that posting things like that results in pile-ons for EVERYONE.

mahagonny

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 09, 2022, 01:46:23 PM

Anyone marching around with a T-shirt that says anything of that nature about a President (and yes, that includes 45) is looking for a confrontation.

Anyone with white skin in the USA is potentially inviting woke attention, especially one who appears male.

ETA: some places like maybe North Dakota the chances of receiving that attention are minimal, but on a college campus, much more. They are presumed (by the wokeist missionary) to be responsible for acting to change their beliefs and thoughts. But if they are already wokeist themselves then they probably find the attention soothing. A T-shirt like that one or a sticker like that one, true, would signify that one is probably not on board with the expectation and reserving the right to one's basic human dignity.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 09, 2022, 12:25:11 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on September 09, 2022, 11:24:14 AM

Diversity and Inclusion is all rainbows and unicorns for everyone.

Be fair, Marshy.  Don't fall into that pit of squalling, immature frustration.

There are valid reasons for "diversity."  It's how we deal with its problems that is important.

It's Orwellian that the way to promote "diversity and inclusion" is to specifically exclude certain groups of people. (And no, it's not really because white people won't have anywhere to go.) It's the same mindset that wanted "coloured" drinking fountains because "those people" would somehow pollute the space just by occupying it. The principle is odious, whenever it is applied.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 09, 2022, 01:46:23 PM

Like the professor locked out of his office on the other thread, throwing the "racist" label around is a very dangerous game that backfires if accusers are too free with it.  You should not call someone a "racist" or "sexist" just because you disagree with them or they do something you do not like.  It is the psychic equivalent to throwing a punch. Expect to get in a fight.  This backfired very badly on the women involved, and I was inclined to feel sorry for them until I watched the vid.  These students are obsessed with racism and victimization. 

We have a right to our opinions, after all, and the young men, while clueless and insensitive, have a right to theirs.

The verbal, psychological, and literal violence in our culture is out of hand.  I'm willing to say enough with the "confrontation" as a way to make people think about their choices.  As with this case, I don't think it works.   

The smartest comment I read on the NYT Mag article was one that said, "What a missed opportunity for a conversation."

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 09, 2022, 02:07:42 PM
A T-shirt like that one or a sticker like that one, true, would signify that one is probably not on board with the expectation and reserving the right to one's basic human dignity.

Displaying and wearing them in a multicultural center might suggest you are welcoming a confrontation.

BTW this is an old story. Just curious as to why is it news now?

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 09, 2022, 05:28:33 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 09, 2022, 02:07:42 PM
A T-shirt like that one or a sticker like that one, true, would signify that one is probably not on board with the expectation and reserving the right to one's basic human dignity.

Displaying and wearing them in a multicultural center might suggest you are welcoming a confrontation.

BTW this is an old story. Just curious as to why is it news now?

I would have just sat there and waited for them to throw punches or carry me out. Then got busy with my attorney.