News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Well, for a change perhaps, some good news, or at least what I would call good news: a student group tried to cancel an appearance by a controversial speaker, but nothing doing. The event will happen as scheduled.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/catholic-university-president-responds-to-calls-by-leftists-to-disinvite-matt-walsh-from-speaking-event?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwbrand

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on October 04, 2022, 12:27:57 PM
Well, for a change perhaps, some good news, or at least what I would call good news: a student group tried to cancel an appearance by a controversial speaker, but nothing doing. The event will happen as scheduled.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/catholic-university-president-responds-to-calls-by-leftists-to-disinvite-matt-walsh-from-speaking-event?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dwbrand

I agree.  This is good news.

I do hope, however, that there are plenty of people there to lawfully engage his incredible bigotry.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 05, 2022, 07:22:25 AM

I do hope, however, that there are plenty of people there to lawfully engage his incredible bigotry.

It is good news for free speech on campus. However he is an odious man putting targets on the back of health care workers.

mahagonny

So what should we do about bigots? Give them tenure?
https://nypost.com/2021/10/29/rutgers-professor-calls-white-people-villains/

ETA: It's important to recognize when the line separating legitimate free speech from something else is crossed. Matt Walsh says in so many words 'you cannot tell me what a woman is; therefore, you are refusing to understand your world awhile bullying others into accepting your view.' Brittney Cooper promotes murdering white people as a solution to what she sees as intractable social justice problems while pretending not to.

ciao_yall

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2022, 08:13:27 AM

It is good news for free speech on campus. However he is an odious man putting targets on the back of health care workers.

I'd rather see the auditorium sit empty because people have better thing to do than listen to him blather.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 05, 2022, 09:46:55 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2022, 08:13:27 AM

I'd rather see the auditorium sit empty because people have better thing to do than listen to him blather.

That is the ideal!!

But we are not there yet.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on October 05, 2022, 08:44:59 AM

So what should we do about bigots? Give them tenure?
https://nypost.com/2021/10/29/rutgers-professor-calls-white-people-villains/

ETA: It's important to recognize when the line separating legitimate free speech from something else is crossed. Matt Walsh says in so many words 'you cannot tell me what a woman is; therefore, you are refusing to understand your world awhile bullying others into accepting your view.' Brittney Cooper promotes murdering white people as a solution to what she sees as intractable social justice problems while pretending not to.

Didn't we post about this already?

That's the trouble with free speech, Big-M.  Someone is going to say something you find offensive and alarming.  Just is.

mahagonny

I have a big problem with people who promote racial murder.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on October 05, 2022, 10:05:36 AM

You have the right to speak out.  That is part of free speech.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 05, 2022, 10:09:47 AM

Yes, long as I am prepared to lose my employment. See, calling Matt Walsh a bigot is in style these days, and nowhere more so than in academia. Like bell-bottom jeans in 1970. My situation is different. Speaking out against the bigotry of a black tenured woman at a prestigious college is risky.

Even saying you are not yet convinced Matt Walsh is a bigot is risky.

The likelihood that thoughtful people will take full advantage of their legal free speech rights varies greatly according other factors.

ETA: If/when I should decide to speak out about this, you may read about it in the news and find out who I am. It wouldn't amaze me. The thing that would be more likely to motivate me would be the killings I keep reading about in the news.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on October 05, 2022, 10:21:35 AM

Yes, long as I am prepared to lose my employment. See, calling Matt Walsh a bigot is in style these days, and nowhere more so than in academia. Like bell-bottom jeans in 1970. My situation is different. Speaking out against the bigotry of a black tenured woman at a prestigious college is risky.

The likelihood that thoughtful people will take full advantage of their legal free speech rights varies greatly according other factors.

ETA: If/when I should decide to speak out about this, you may read about it in the news and find out who I am. It wouldn't amaze me. The thing that would be more likely to motivate me would be the killings I keep reading about in the news.

Always the victim.  I seriously doubt your melodrama.  Maybe you should be brave and speak your mind and see what happens.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 05, 2022, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on October 05, 2022, 10:21:35 AM

Always the victim.  I seriously doubt your melodrama.  Maybe you should be brave and speak your mind and see what happens.

Hopefully I will get up the nerve before <snip>

jimbogumbo

I did not call Walsh a bigot. What I objected to was his doxxing of healthcare workers, and promoting posting videos which he presents as one thing and in reality are something else. When you do that, and crazed people act on them, I think you are odious. That is also my right, yes?

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2022, 01:23:07 PM
I did not call Walsh a bigot. What I objected to was his doxxing of healthcare workers, and promoting posting videos which he presents as one thing and in reality are something else. When you do that, and crazed people act on them, I think you are odious. That is also my right, yes?

Everyone has the right, but if you also have job security with due process for dismissal, you also have the privilege. Which means we have a greater chance of hearing from you.

And humanities fields being so heavily populated by the political far left, together with so many people believing that college is essential for a good life, would be one of the likely reasons our society is in a state of decay these days.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2022, 01:23:07 PM

I'm taking it that you would consider a surgeon who takes a piece of a person's bowel and fashions it into a homemade vagina to be surgically put in healthy body is a healthcare worker. I guess you can believe that, and you can believe it is treating a patient. But I doubt the people who do this are shrinking violets. They seem to kind of like the publicity. I think they tend to be fully aware they have placed themselves in the arena of 'movers and shakers.'