Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: spork on February 27, 2023, 03:04:15 PM
Quote from: dismalist on February 27, 2023, 02:01:55 PM

[. . . ]
I think the source of the problem -- democratize everything in sight -- is broadly true across northwest European democracies and the rest of the white West.

[. . . ]

A summary of Karen Stenner's research on the authoritarian predisposition: https://hopenothate.org.uk/2020/11/01/authoritarianism/.

Related: Lily Tsai's work on authoritarian leaders gaining popularity by punishing perceived wrongdoers.

Yes, Spork, I know I need therapy! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

dismalist, extreme right wing parties are growing in Nordic countries, and in fact becoming players in political coalitions.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 27, 2023, 04:41:03 PM
dismalist, extreme right wing parties are growing in Nordic countries, and in fact becoming players in political coalitions.

Yeah, I hoid. My take is that the cause is a policy that many people didn't like -- immigration policy. That policy was adopted by Group X. A different group emerged called Group Y. Group X is rhetorically combating Group Y. In contrast, Ukrainian refugees seem to be welcomed everywhere. There is no news here. People disagree, and "extreme right wing" is a point of rhetoric, not of substance.

I think the northwestern European democracies have this politically under control by now. People may disagree about the policy, but the noise will quiet down. The Left moves Right if that's where the votes are. There really is no problem so long as there is peaceful competition among potential rulers, the political parties, though all kinds of representative government rules have their own problems.

No worries.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

i think you're channeling Alfred E. Newman. When you have ties to neo-Nazism you fit my definition of extreme right wing.

ciao_yall

Polarization, whether political, religious, or otherwise, is human nature. We define ourselves by what we ARE, in part by what we are NOT.

IMHO, lack of voting leads to worse polarization because politicians only need to appeal to "likely voters" who eat up whatever chum they are throwing out. The average voter can't stand the noise, becomes overwhelmed, and shuts it out.

At least being required to vote encourages the average voter to pay some attention, and encourages the politicians to broaden their message and appeal.

FishProf

George Santos is an example of how getting elected is all that matters.  There are quite a few dissatisfied voters who feel duped, and apparently nothing that can be done about it.

That'll depress the desire to vote in future elections.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: FishProf on February 28, 2023, 11:27:09 AM
George Santos is an example of how getting elected is all that matters.  There are quite a few dissatisfied voters who feel duped, and apparently nothing that can be done about it.

That'll depress the desire to vote in future elections.

On the other hand, part of the record-breaking turnout in 2020 was disgust and fear of the sitting president.  Anger is also a catalyst for voter turnout.  I hope this is the case in 2024.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

downer

Santos seems intent to dig a bigger hole for himself every week. NY03 is also the richest congressional district in NY, according to Wikipedia, though it normally votes Democrat for president. The population may well be suffering from embarrassment at constantly being in the news in such a poor light. I like to believe they will not only vote Santos out when they can, but also punish the Republicans for poor vetting of candidates.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Wahoo Redux

NBC News: Tennessee governor appears to have dressed in drag, an art form he wants to restrict

Lower Deck:
Gov. Bill Lee, a Republican, is set to sign a bill limiting where and in front of whom drag performances can take place.

Looks like Lee cross-dressed for a high school prank day (the women dressed as men).

I can't imagine this would pass a First Amendment challenge. 

Anselm

I heard that George Santos shot down that Chinese weather balloon.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

FishProf

Quote from: Anselm on March 01, 2023, 09:09:28 AM

Did you hear it from him?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on March 01, 2023, 10:32:41 AM
Quote from: Anselm on March 01, 2023, 09:09:28 AM

Did you hear it from him?

There's a proverb that says "Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger and not your own lips."  George Santos seems never to have put much stock in that one.  I guess he got tired of waiting.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

Texas Tech suspends basketball coach over racially insensitive comment

Lower Deck
Coach Mark Adams received a written reprimand before he was suspended while an investigation takes place.

The incident occurred in a meeting between Adams and a player, who wasn't identified, the school said in a news release.

"Adams was encouraging the student-athlete to be more receptive to coaching and referenced Bible verses about workers, teachers, parents, and slaves serving their masters," the statement said. "Adams immediately addressed this with the team and apologized."

kaysixteen

Of course, the guy was not saying the player was a slave, and he was quoting a bible verse.   Should he have been punished merely because someone took offense?

jimbogumbo

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 06, 2023, 10:58:30 AM
Of course, the guy was not saying the player was a slave, and he was quoting a bible verse.   Should he have been punished merely because someone took offense?

In my opinion, yes. He is in a position of authority over mostly young Black men, yet he quoted a verse that was widely used in the South to justify slavery. Not cool.