Main Menu

Cancelling Dr. Seuss

Started by apl68, March 12, 2021, 09:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 23, 2023, 11:09:40 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 23, 2023, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: kaysixteen on May 22, 2023, 09:30:04 PM
many conservative evangelicals do not think anyone should have to list 'their pronouns' anywhere,

What if they want to list their pronouns?

An interesting question is whether they would have been able to, alternatively, simply list themselves as "Mr. Shua Wilmot" and "Ms. Reagan Zelaya", and whether they would have chosen to. That would serve the same purpose in principle.

Sure.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

nebo113

kaysixteen

I read  the president's memo to the campus community, somewhere on line.   He clearly wants *no extraneous stuff* in email sig files, and these people, avoiding marshy's obvious solution long done by people whose first names are gender ambiguous, disobeyed.   Adios.

Remember places like Houghton have to cater to their denominational constituencies, on whom they depend for funding and often also for students, and, well, in denoms like the one that owns this school, gender fluidity just ain't a thing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 23, 2023, 09:18:55 PM
I read  the president's memo to the campus community, somewhere on line.   He clearly wants *no extraneous stuff* in email sig files, and these people, avoiding marshy's obvious solution long done by people whose first names are gender ambiguous, disobeyed.   Adios.

The only real way to implement this is to have signatures pulled from a database, with the fields created (and potentially populated) by the institution. Otherwise the definition of "extraneous" is a hole with no bottom. (Even still, that doesn't prevent people from manually adding lines to their email, even though it might be tedious.)
It takes so little to be above average.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 23, 2023, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on May 23, 2023, 11:09:40 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 23, 2023, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: kaysixteen on May 22, 2023, 09:30:04 PM
many conservative evangelicals do not think anyone should have to list 'their pronouns' anywhere,

What if they want to list their pronouns?

An interesting question is whether they would have been able to, alternatively, simply list themselves as "Mr. Shua Wilmot" and "Ms. Reagan Zelaya", and whether they would have chosen to. That would serve the same purpose in principle.

Sure.

What if their title is "Doctor?"

jimbogumbo

Quote from: nebo113 on May 23, 2023, 03:36:56 PM
'cuz of course anything written by a non white is inherently hateful.....

https://people.com/amanda-gorman-inauguration-poem-banned-florida-school-7503225

I thought I couldn't be shocked by any banning, but this stunned me. And, yes I know it was just removed from the K-5 holdings and remains in the middle school section. Read it. There is not one word that can be construed as "hate", and it is clearly unrelated to CRT.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 24, 2023, 12:31:57 PM

https://people.com/amanda-gorman-inauguration-poem-banned-florida-school-7503225

I thought I couldn't be shocked by any banning, but this stunned me. And, yes I know it was just removed from the K-5 holdings and remains in the middle school section. Read it. There is not one word that can be construed as "hate", and it is clearly unrelated to CRT.

There is nothing particularly surprising here.

This is the kind of society we've become on all sides.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 24, 2023, 03:27:57 PM

Definitely. Instead of asking
"What can we all agree on?"
it has become
"What can WE do to stick it to THEM?"

nebo113

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 25, 2023, 06:06:20 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 24, 2023, 03:27:57 PM

Definitely. Instead of asking
"What can we all agree on?"
it has become
"What can WE do to stick it to THEM?"

According to the complainant, the poem was written by Oprah.

Wahoo Redux

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 25, 2023, 01:07:13 PM
Senate Bill 83 passes in Ohio

Republican state Sen. Louis W. Blessing, III, Sen. Nathan Manning and Sen. Michele Reynolds joined the seven Senate democrats in voting against the bill, also known as the Ohio Higher Education Enhancement Act. Reynolds flipped her vote after voting in support of SB 83 Wednesday morning during the Senate Workforce and Higher Education Committee meeting.

It would be interesting to hear more about this; specifically what changed to change her opinion.

Langue_doc

QuoteUtah primary schools ban Bible for 'vulgarity and violence'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65794363

Wahoo Redux

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on June 03, 2023, 06:02:22 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on June 03, 2023, 05:57:44 PM

Goose and gander.

At some point, when the libraries are empty, both sides will have to decide if they want any books at all, and if so they'll need to establish criteria that they can all live with.

nebo113

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 04, 2023, 05:43:13 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on June 03, 2023, 06:02:22 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on June 03, 2023, 05:57:44 PM

Goose and gander.

At some point, when the libraries are empty, both sides will have to decide if they want any books at all, and if so they'll need to establish criteria that they can all live with.

The bible ban is a protest against rabid right wing nuts.  Not a two sided issue.