News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Voting Day in the United States

Started by arcturus, November 08, 2022, 04:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinenomine

I voted this morning on the way to campus and sported my "I Voted" sticker all day, as did many colleagues. Family busy at my small ton's small polling place.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

dismalist

I wish there were an official "I didn't vote" sticker that one could wear. That could spark some interesting conversations between strangers. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: mahagonny on November 08, 2022, 09:07:48 AM
I was going to vote, and at first glance it ought to have been quite easy for me, no ID asked for (though I always  carry mine), but then I remembered my wife said she would leave me if I voted for any republicans. Voter suppression!

Just kidding, I did vote. But the rest is true, though she's not going to know. Only one of my votes (referendum) will matter. On all the rest, I expect the democrats will win.
I tried watching coverage on MSNBC. The first thing they mention is how many 'election deniers' are on the ballot. No mention of voting deniers, e.g. Stacey Abrams.

Hegemony

Voted by mail, which is the norm in my state. We love it because we can sit down with the Voter's Pamphlet and really weigh the issues as we go.

Sun_Worshiper

So far, things are looking better for Democrats than most would have predicted.

clean

We had an at large city council election. The three I voted for are dead last! 

The results are not dissimilar to the other elections I voted.  It matters not what candidates I support, in my area, I am in (at least) the electoral minority. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

namazu

Voted, after being turned away initially because my driver's license had (unbeknownst to me; the DMV apparently doesn't send renewal notices!) expired a short time ago.  Returned with a bank statement as alternative ID and was allowed to vote.  (Have since renewed license!)

Brought the toddler, who got to vote on such pressing issues as "favorite pet" and "favorite color" on the kids' ballot.  The toddler was more interested in examining the HVAC system and the drains around the polling place.

Results were mixed, with some surprises. Some issues and candidates I supported were successful; others were not. 

Always grateful to have the opportunity to vote.

mahagonny

Interesting experience this time, a relative of one of my colleagues was elected to state office. Congratulations.

Ron DeSantis had a great night because Donald Trump did not.

Karl Rove seems to know every county on the map. Almost.

lightning

I voted by mail quite some time ago.

The comment upthread by FishProf made me glad that I did not cancel today's class.

I canceled class back in mid-October of 2020, and bugged students for weeks leading up to the November 2020 election, to use that free time to go vote. I didn't cancel class this time. Maybe I shouldn't have canceled class in 2020, either.

FishProf

My state had 4 referendums.  I backed the losing horse in all 4. 

I find that...interesting.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

dismalist

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 08, 2022, 07:49:13 PM

Speaking with Wellington about Waterloo: It was a close-run thing!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on November 09, 2022, 10:37:56 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 08, 2022, 07:49:13 PM

Speaking with Wellington about Waterloo: It was a close-run thing!

there won't be any more things like Newt Gingrich's tsunami of the 1990's. there aren't that many seats that can be flipped any more. Gerrymandering* from both sides. Then too, we (the Nazis) already had a good share of them by 2020.
My goodness, what the heck is going on in AZ?

*oops, so sorry. It's called 'redistricting' when the dems do it.

mahagonny

con't

It wasn't the red wave some predicted, but flipping the House of Rep's will bring change if it happens. Who knows, the FBI and DOJ's days as agents for the democratic party may be numbered. The millions doled out to the big guy VEEP from the Chinese may just get into the news a bit. Some of the media may get a bit tired of the pitfalls of stumping for old Joe. Death by 1,000 cuts? (Speaking figuratively. Not an actual threat.)

Cheerful

Quote from: Hegemony on November 08, 2022, 05:58:43 PM
Voted by mail, which is the norm in my state. We love it because we can sit down with the Voter's Pamphlet and really weigh the issues as we go.

A "Voter's Pamphlet" sounds potentially very good. Wish all states had that.

ab_grp

Quote from: Cheerful on November 09, 2022, 02:01:39 PM
Quote from: Hegemony on November 08, 2022, 05:58:43 PM

A "Voter's Pamphlet" sounds potentially very good. Wish all states had that.

We usually look at the guide put together by the League of Women Voters.  They ask the same set of questions to each candidate for a particular office and summarize the amendments, bonds, referendums, etc.  It's a good starting point, at least.  They've got some good resources: https://www.lwv.org/elections/vote411