News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

March Madness Time

Started by clean, March 11, 2023, 04:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I dont particularly pay attention to this, but many do...
Anyone have any connections to the games?
Anyone making a prediction?

Will you be watching the games?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ohnoes

1) My school regularly makes the tournament...
2) ...and loses in the first round.
3) I won't be watching.

ab_grp

Not sure who's playing yet, but I'll definitely be joining some pools and will hopefully get to watch as many games as possible.  I don't think that any of the schools I am personally connected to have any chance of playing this year, so that makes things a little easier.

secundem_artem

Quote from: ohnoes on March 12, 2023, 10:49:21 AM
1) My school regularly makes the tournament...
2) ...and loses in the first round.
3) I won't be watching.

Our men made it to the big dance. The women qualified today.

The men will likely be one and done but the women have a history of punching above their weight in these situations.

I agree with 2 & 3 above
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

kaysixteen

Hard for an academic to have anything particularly good to say about Big Time Div I college basketball.

FishProf

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 12, 2023, 08:41:44 PM
Hard for an academic to have anything particularly good to say about Big Time Div I college basketball.

No, it isn't.

"The federal graduation rate, however, remains the only measure to compare student-athletes with the general student body. Using this measure, student-athletes graduate at a rate 2 percentage points higher than the general student body — 68 percent compared with 66 percent. The difference is most stark among black women. Student-athletes in this demographic outpace their peers in the student body by 19 percentage points — 70 percent for student-athletes compared with 51 percent for the student body."

SOURCE

Div I men's basketball graduation rate is ~ 80%, for Women it is ~90%.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.