News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fivver

Started by kaysixteen, May 02, 2023, 08:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Anyone familar with the online service Fivver, which has been recommended to me by a non-academic friend, who tells me that this service, an app that allows people who can do various and sundry tasks with those willing to perform them, includes people who want such services as translation...?

paultuttle

Hi K16! Colleagues have used fiver.com to find people who will do very short tasks for very cheap: One colleague who was then coordinating a statewide professional association conference received a revised logo scaled to print on variously sized cups, notepads, water bottles, tote bags, T-shirts, and other such marketing collateral for ~$20.

But previous requests for other graphic artists to provide a revised logo ended up being distinctly unsuccessful (Fiver workers didn't want to supply the end product, or the end product was crap), so as he said, YMMV.

kaysixteen

Thanks very much.   The buddy of mine who recommended I try to get classical languages translation gigs out of Fiverr, who is himself a monolingual hs educated guy, did not have many details.   The real problem with using something like this for obtaining such work assignments is that it is very very difficult to know ahead of time how much time it would take to come up with the translation, esp when one has not even seen the text in question (on two separate occasions in the past I have been asked to translate Latin texts, and given sh*tty photocopies of pre-20th c works, that were very hard even to read).  This of course does not even take into consideration how much per hour I should want to ask for-- sadly, for this sort of generally completely *unnecessary* task, people really do not want to pay much.