Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The vinhale thread?

Started by mamselle, May 22, 2019, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Puget on June 01, 2023, 06:28:27 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on May 31, 2023, 08:17:19 PM
Inhale: Presented to my thesis committee and got the green light to schedule my defense towards the end of summer. I was worried I hadn't done enough, that the committee would say something like, "All these years, and that's all you have to show for it?" Instead they were very encouraging and congratulatory. Done with data collection, and almost done with all the analysis.

Vent: Now I have to actually write the thesis.

Overall: So many times I thought I'd never make it, but it looks like I may actually cross the finish line and earn a PhD.

Congratulations! You can do this! I'll give the advice I give to my own students at this point:
(1) your PI/committee won't let you schedule the defense if we don't think you're ready and will pass, so you ARE ready and will pass.
(2) working backward from your defense date, make a detailed writing plan, breaking down all remaining tasks into small chunks and scheduling them each day. Pad the schedule to account for unexpected delays and inevitable schedule slip.
(3) done is better than perfect-- do a rough draft of everything first, then you can go back and spend remaining time revising, but get it done first.
(4) look at the formatting requirements now, and use the template if the grad school provides one-- it will be easier than trying to retrofit it to the often very persnickety requirements later. At the same time, don't stress about formatting too much-- you can fix it after the defense if necessary, no one but the person in charge of final dissertation deposits will care at all.

Puget, thanks so much for this! I sketched out a tentative writing plan, and I'll definitely have to keep reminding myself of your "done is better than perfect" point. Also, I didn't even think about asking after formatting requirements yet. Thanks for that point too.

Harlow2 and epw, thank you!

ergative

Quote from: smallcleanrat on June 04, 2023, 07:30:13 PM
Quote from: Puget on June 01, 2023, 06:28:27 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on May 31, 2023, 08:17:19 PM
Inhale: Presented to my thesis committee and got the green light to schedule my defense towards the end of summer. I was worried I hadn't done enough, that the committee would say something like, "All these years, and that's all you have to show for it?" Instead they were very encouraging and congratulatory. Done with data collection, and almost done with all the analysis.

Vent: Now I have to actually write the thesis.

Overall: So many times I thought I'd never make it, but it looks like I may actually cross the finish line and earn a PhD.

Congratulations! You can do this! I'll give the advice I give to my own students at this point:
(1) your PI/committee won't let you schedule the defense if we don't think you're ready and will pass, so you ARE ready and will pass.
(2) working backward from your defense date, make a detailed writing plan, breaking down all remaining tasks into small chunks and scheduling them each day. Pad the schedule to account for unexpected delays and inevitable schedule slip.
(3) done is better than perfect-- do a rough draft of everything first, then you can go back and spend remaining time revising, but get it done first.
(4) look at the formatting requirements now, and use the template if the grad school provides one-- it will be easier than trying to retrofit it to the often very persnickety requirements later. At the same time, don't stress about formatting too much-- you can fix it after the defense if necessary, no one but the person in charge of final dissertation deposits will care at all.

Puget, thanks so much for this! I sketched out a tentative writing plan, and I'll definitely have to keep reminding myself of your "done is better than perfect" point. Also, I didn't even think about asking after formatting requirements yet. Thanks for that point too.

Harlow2 and epw, thank you!

Congratulations! The best dissertation is a done dissertation.

Have you read the FAQs about the snake-fight portion of your thesis defense yet?

smallcleanrat

Quote from: ergative on June 10, 2023, 02:49:57 AM

Have you read the FAQs about the snake-fight portion of your thesis defense yet?

Thanks, ergative!

RE: snakes. Why am I just finding out about this now?!?

ergative

Quote from: smallcleanrat on June 10, 2023, 01:15:05 PM

Thanks, ergative!

The advantage of coming across a brilliant piece of literature late in the game is that the intervening years have allowed its Archive Of Our Own fanfiction to accumulate. This one is quite brilliant.

Puget

Quote from: ergative on June 10, 2023, 02:21:42 PM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on June 10, 2023, 01:15:05 PM

The advantage of coming across a brilliant piece of literature late in the game is that the intervening years have allowed its Archive Of Our Own fanfiction to accumulate. This one is quite brilliant.

Oh yes, this is the best-- as a faculty member it is all too realistic, I can well imagine our put upon department admin writing it.
Thanks, ergative!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

smallcleanrat

Context: I had extensive neuropsych testing over the course of 3 days.

Inhale: I no longer meet the criteria for a clinical diagnosis of OCD. I was first diagnosed 15 years ago, and have spent years since going to therapy, using workbooks, and pushing myself through a lot of discomfort to overcome it. While I still have obsessive-compulsive tendencies, it no longer interferes with my life sufficiently to warrant a diagnosis. All that hard work paid off, and it feels like a real accomplishment.

Vent: I was diagnosed with ADHD and autism. I don't seem to know how to feel about this. I've read other people's experiences of having an "aha" moment upon receiving an explanation for their difficulties. So, I thought diagnosis might provide some sense of relief.

All I feel is depressed.

I think deep down I was hoping they would say, "Nothing is wrong. You are normal," although I guess I wouldn't have believed them if they had. But I really wish I didn't constantly feel in a struggle with my own brain.