News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Point System

Started by HigherEd7, August 18, 2023, 02:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

I am trying to figure out what percentage of points an assignment would be if you are on a point scale. For example, if the total points in your course are 425 points and you have an assignment worth 100 points. What's the percentage of that assignment? Thanks

arcturus

Quote from: HigherEd7 on August 18, 2023, 02:53:05 PMI am trying to figure out what percentage of points an assignment would be if you are on a point scale. For example, if the total points in your course are 425 points and you have an assignment worth 100 points. What's the percentage of that assignment? Thanks
Using elementary school arithmetic, 100/425 = 23.5%. It can be more complicated if you choose to drop some of the assignments, such that there may be 425 points available, but the class is scored out of only 400.

Parasaurolophus

Just an additional thought: going forward, you could make things easier on yourself by having a point total that's easier to math--e.g. either 500 or 1000 points. Not that it's hard to figure out the percentage, but it'll be easier to eyeball.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Oh, people! I used to make up the total of homework, exams, whatever = 100. No further thought necessary! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jerseyjay

I make the total points of the course worth 1000 points. Then, if essays total 25 per cent, they equal 250 points. This makes it much easier to calculate.I find that if I make 1000 the total number of points, it makes the class seem more substantial than if I make the course worth 100 points. That is, if the midterm is worth 200 points and the final 300 points, this seems more important that 20 and 30 points (even though I am aware that they are mathematically the same). It also gives me the option of giving, say 20 extra credit points for something, and it looking much more than it actually is.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: dismalist on August 18, 2023, 08:28:08 PMOh, people! I used to make up the total of homework, exams, whatever = 100. No further thought necessary! :-)

Sure. That's what I do. But doing that would undermine the point of the points system!
I know it's a genus.

dlehman

Just to put in a plug for an alternative:  I stopped using points 45 years ago after my first teaching experience.  Questions like "why did I get 22 points out of 25 on this essay rather than 23?" I found unanswerable.  I use an A-F scheme (with +/-) ranging from Command of the tools, Control of the tools, Effort but not in control, to Lack of Effort.  I've almost never had a student disagree or complain.  And I find it easier to grade work (of course, multiple choice is even easier and works for points, but I stopped using multiple choice 45 years ago as well).

Using the letter scale has become increasingly difficult as assessment and learning management systems make it harder to use, but that's one reason I'm glad I'm near the end of my teaching career, not at the beginning.  I've never liked points and find they only interfere with education.

jerseyjay

Quote from: dlehman on August 19, 2023, 06:04:20 AMJust to put in a plug for an alternative:  I stopped using points 45 years ago after my first teaching experience.  Questions like "why did I get 22 points out of 25 on this essay rather than 23?" I found unanswerable.  I use an A-F scheme (with +/-) ranging from Command of the tools, Control of the tools, Effort but not in control, to Lack of Effort.  I've almost never had a student disagree or complain.  And I find it easier to grade work (of course, multiple choice is even easier and works for points, but I stopped using multiple choice 45 years ago as well).

Using the letter scale has become increasingly difficult as assessment and learning management systems make it harder to use, but that's one reason I'm glad I'm near the end of my teaching career, not at the beginning.  I've never liked points and find they only interfere with education.

Leaving aside the practical questions you raise, I am curious why giving a student (say) an A- on exam as opposed to 23/25 is better? At the end of the day, the difference between 22 and 23 points or an B+ and an A- are somewhat arbitrary.

I have found having a numeric score gives the illusion of objectivity rather than just having a letter grade. However, at the end of the day, the answer comes down to, I made a professional judgement that you earned an A-/23 points and not an A/24 points because, well, that's what I am paid to do.

dlehman

Of course 23/25 or A- are both judgements.  But the A range means the student exhibited a command of the tools, but a few too many errors or omissions to claim complete command.  The B range is for control of the tools, but clearly too many errors or omissions to call it "command."  The same could be said for 23 vs 24 points out of 25, but the logic seems to get hidden and students focus on the points number.  I think the letter rubric helps them think about what the grade represents rather than the number of points.

HigherEd7

Thank you for the responses! And it makes perfect sense

jerseyjay

Quote from: dlehman on August 19, 2023, 07:18:49 AMOf course 23/25 or A- are both judgements.  But the A range means the student exhibited a command of the tools, but a few too many errors or omissions to claim complete command.  The B range is for control of the tools, but clearly too many errors or omissions to call it "command."  The same could be said for 23 vs 24 points out of 25, but the logic seems to get hidden and students focus on the points number.  I think the letter rubric helps them think about what the grade represents rather than the number of points.
My experience is the opposite. The benefits of a rubric, especially one with points, is that it objectifies what is inherently a subjective process, i.e., creates the illusion of objectivity.

This is not meant to challenge your experience, but to say mine has been different. At the end of the day, of course, the difference between points and a letter grade is the difference between fractions and decimals.