News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Year 4!

Started by eigen, May 17, 2023, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Hey everyone!

The yearly site renewal reminded me that we've passed another anniversary here on the Fora!

And that makes it time for the yearly "What's working and what isn't" thread.

Please feel free to share thoughts on what you like, what changes you might like to see, etc.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

arcturus

A big "thank you" to all who volunteer their time to maintain (and contribute content to) the fora! It is a valuable resource!

downer

Thanks for keeping the site running, Eigen.

I guess there are two kinds of changes we might consider:

1. Upgrading SMF 2.0.18 to the latest 2.1, or adding more features from SMF. Maybe adding advertisements.
I don't see much reason to change anything.

2. Changing policies about how the site is run. Maybe the main issue has been about banning people and how to deal with people that others find annoying. But I don't see a need to change anything there either.

There's also the issue of whether the site is maintaining the number of visitors and posts or whether it is in decline. Do we have any stats on that?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

Quote from: arcturus on May 17, 2023, 12:39:38 PM
A big "thank you" to all who volunteer their time to maintain (and contribute content to) the fora! It is a valuable resource!

Agree wholeheartedly!

Hibush

Thank you for keeping this going. I really appreciate it!

There is so much interesting discussion and insight into things that are relevant but that I'd be unlikely to encounter otherwise.

kaysixteen

Yes, thank you kindly.

Wahoo Redux

You are a rock star, eigen. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

darkstarrynight

I appreciate you and the continued opportunities to connect and converse here.

ab_grp

I greatly appreciate this space, those who make it happen, and everyone who contributes! Thank you!

hmaria1609

Virtual birthday cupcakes! :)

eigen

Upgrading SMF is on my list, but I need to make backups and test some things out to make sure they don't break.

One major reason (and this may push it up on my list) is PHP 7.2 sunsetting later this month, and I can't remember what version the forum requires.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Larimar

Thanks and appreciation to all those who keep The Fora running!

Puget

Thank you Eigen for all you do to keep this place running!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Hibush

Digging into to the quantitative details, I note that The Fora debuted four years ago. Additional thanks to eigen.

eigen

Haha, trust me to miscount.

That makes sense though, since I got the first year sponsored.