News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Year 4!

Started by eigen, May 17, 2023, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foralurker

This community has been invaluable as I'm navigating a faculty career in an isolating environment, with no mentorship available, and colleagues who appear kind on the surface but I've since learned cannot be trusted. Thank you for keeping this community alive post-Chronicle. I honestly don't think I could have kept my wits about me without a place to ask questions and get worries off my mind. Thank you!

Harlow2

Quote from: foralurker on May 19, 2023, 08:11:35 PM
This community has been invaluable as I'm navigating a faculty career in an isolating environment, with no mentorship available, and colleagues who appear kind on the surface but I've since learned cannot be trusted. Thank you for keeping this community alive post-Chronicle. I honestly don't think I could have kept my wits about me without a place to ask questions and get worries off my mind. Thank you!

When I began job hunting and then took a job in a college with a similar atmosphere, the CHE were invaluable.  (I'm fortunate in that My Place is now wonderfully supportive.)  The combined experience of TheFora members is extensive and invaluable.

Adding my thanks to Eigen and all of you for your work

Parasaurolophus

Updated the title to reflect new data.
I know it's a genus.

kaysixteen

These fora remain great, a worthy successor to the Chronicle fora.   But I miss many of the old-time stalwarts.   I am wondering how we might induce/ recruit/? people to come on by?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 22, 2023, 09:27:45 PM
These fora remain great, a worthy successor to the Chronicle fora.   But I miss many of the old-time stalwarts.   I am wondering how we might induce/ recruit/? people to come on by?

Short of telling people you know directly, I think our best bet is to get ourselves indexed on the first page of Google search results. Being linked to in medium/high traffic venues would be good, too. Like, say, via an article on CHE or IHE. That would require some outreach, however. So, as with everything, it's just a matter of finding the time. Unless someone has some contacts.
I know it's a genus.

Hibush

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 23, 2023, 05:30:22 PM
Quote from: kaysixteen on May 22, 2023, 09:27:45 PM

Short of telling people you know directly, I think our best bet is to get ourselves indexed on the first page of Google search results. Being linked to in medium/high traffic venues would be good, too. Like, say, via an article on CHE or IHE. That would require some outreach, however. So, as with everything, it's just a matter of finding the time. Unless someone has some contacts.

All but two of the 31 DSMs (>1000 posts) joined in the first few days of The Fora. Among the ~55 SMS (250 to 1000 posts), most joined in 2019, two joined in 2020. None later. Thus the site has not attracted new super-active users. The most recent member with >10 posts is from September 2021. I checked a few random members with ~100 posts and half had logged in within the last few days. So people are reading.

Somewhat similar discussions happen on reddit at r/professors, r/academia and r/highereducation. The last seems to be an effort by CHE to foster discussion about their articles, but it hasn't been lively. Where else have Forumites found comparable sites?

permanent imposter

Quote from: foralurker on May 19, 2023, 08:11:35 PM

I'm in a similar situation, so I wanted to thank the board hosts and moderators as well. I haven't really found anything comparable elsewhere on the internet.