News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Is there a pineapple shortage?

Started by clean, July 19, 2023, 10:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

I just saw cut pineapple cubes mixed in with other fruit for sale at my local store.  I did not see any whole ones but I did not really look for them. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

apl68

Quote from: clean on July 21, 2023, 03:41:23 PMEverybody is getting pineapples but me (my area of the state anyway)!
They even sing about it!!

And meanwhile all you can sing is:  "Yes!  We have no pineapples!  We have no pineapples today!"
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mythbuster

I was at Costco last week and they had crates of them. BUT they were all so dark green that it was clear they would not be any good.
   Now, the East coast search this year for peaches is whole other thing. I know the Georgia crop got wiped out by  a warm winter, but I know they grow them in other Southern states and I can't find those either. The peach colored rocks from California are not worth even trying.

lightning

Quote from: mythbuster on July 22, 2023, 11:39:45 AMI was at Costco last week and they had crates of them. BUT they were all so dark green that it was clear they would not be any good.
   Now, the East coast search this year for peaches is whole other thing. I know the Georgia crop got wiped out by  a warm winter, but I know they grow them in other Southern states and I can't find those either. The peach colored rocks from California are not worth even trying.

I've got a lot of peaches, sourced from Georgia (supposedly from GA--who knows where these Saturday morning farmers' market vendors actually get them).

dismalist

Transfers easily to an East German joke from before 1989. East German prices were fixed and too low.

Consumer is shopping.

Asks store attendant: Do you have pineapples?

Answer is: No, we don't have peaches. They have no pineapples at the store next door.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anselm

I just got back from the same store.  They are now stocked with big plastic containers with pre-cut pineapples.  The shortage is now officially over.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

clean

Quote from: Anselm on July 22, 2023, 05:32:23 PMI just got back from the same store.  They are now stocked with big plastic containers with pre-cut pineapples.  The shortage is now officially over.

Over for you maybe!  Still nothing in my area!!

We have peaches, but they are either rock hard or very small (or both small and rock hard).

the fresh peaches here are in small plastic bags and sold by the pound. I took one bag, took out the hard ones (splitting them among other bags, and filled the bag back with peaches that had at least some degree of softness).
some are ok, others are not really juicy and flavorful, but at least can be eaten.

("The food on the buffet was terrible, but there was a lot of it"... good news/bad news sort of thing)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

hmaria1609

I saw pineapples at Costco yesterday. Few takers though.

fishbrains

First they came for the pineapples. And I said nothing . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

clean

Went to the store yesterday. No pineapple still!
There is cut pineapple, but it is like $9 a pound! and there isnt a lot of it out!

The website today stated that "Fresh Pineapple may have limited availability at this time"

Please remember to look for pineapple in the store, when you next go! 

clean

Since I last posted I have been to the grocery store. No fresh pineapple.
I checked the online shopping link just now.  Fresh Pineapple, not available! 

Did the Yellow Truck Bankruptcy prevent pineapple transport to my area? 
I mean it's not Florida where truckers are boycotting the state (at least I think that they are, but not sure it makes a difference). 

Are you still sufficiently supplied?  My area is an ab oration or the 'canary in the coal mine'?

apl68

I drink pineapple juice for breakfast, but never have occasion to buy it fresh.  So I don't know about our local stores.  And anyway it's been cherry season, and that has been my fresh fruit of choice lately.  I know that after seeing this thread I'll better appreciate its availability next time I go to a buffet place that offers it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

saffie

Fresh pineapples from Costa Rica in the local market here in New York area. Del Monte brand I think.

clean

8/3
My Bride was at the grocery story yesterday and still no fresh pineapple. 
IF you want some, and your local grocery has it, better stock up!  You wont miss it til it's gone!!

apl68

Finished the last of my pineapple juice for breakfast this morning.  It'll be a few weeks before I feel like getting some more, since I drink citrus for breakfast most of the time.  Hope it'll still be available then!