News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Hurricane Threats 2022

Started by clean, August 28, 2023, 07:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Today (8/28/2023) Florida is under Hurricane Watches (a hurricane is expected within 48 hours).  Current models indicate the possibility of a Major (Category 3 or higher) storm. 
From the initial zone, the storm is expected to hold some strength so that by Thursday it will remain a Tropical Storm over or off South Carolina!

I wish all of those in the zone the best of luck!

I hope that those that can, evacuate and enjoy the surprise "Hurrication" that is being gifted to them.   As a fellow coastal resident, and not one that would have made a good 'pioneer', I leave early, check into a hotel, and wait to return until enough electricity is restored so that I dont have to wait hours for gas or ice.  (My neighbors can have my share of ice, and anything defrosting in my house!.

IF you are in or near the zone, please let us know when you are safe, and IF you evacuate, tell us what fun you made time to have while you evacuated.  (Long ago, when I was a newly minted PhD in my first PHD job in SC, I evacuated from Hurricane Floyd.  I ended up all the way in Huntsville, AL (as everything closer was booked and went to NASA, Unclaimed Baggage, a museum, and did all of my Christmas Shopping).  It was the first vacation I had had since starting PhD school.) 

So let us know you are safe, what good things you plan to enjoy before you get back to classes, and home repairs!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mythbuster

We are on the Atlantic side and so will only be dealing with remnants of Idalia. For any of our Tampa Bay based folks, I am hoping that it drifts more towards the Big Bend, where the marshes will adsorb the force.
   Mr. Buster and I were just pondering where our initial destination would be if we ever needed to evacuate. Neither of us are true natives of the deep South, so we are just now investigating options in central Alabama etc. for the future. My biggest concern with going as far a Huntsville would be getting stuck in horrible traffic. Did you resort to country highways on the trip to Huntsville? Or was I-75 actually moving?

clean

As a Florida Native (transplanted away years and years ago, now), after much thought and press coverage of other storms, If close, I would head to Disney World. They have many, many hotels, they will have vacancies as people cancel, and they generally have underground cables and generators.  MEaning that you may be in a hotel, but you will have power.  The parks will resume operation as soon as safe, and each hotel has a restaurant of some sort, there there should be food. 

From my Floyd evacuation days, I headed toward Atlanta, but by the time I reached Atlanta all of coastal GA and SC had evacuated, and people smarter than me, booked by phone!   I just drove and as I kept going and going, the places i had targeted would post announcements, There are No Rooms in Ashville, There are no rooms in xxx.   By the time I got to Atlanta I stopped every other exit to find things closed.  Finally, the hotel told me that a sister hotel in Alabama (near the speedway) had a few rooms left, and I booked the last one they had!   I ended up in a suite, all by myself!  I Awoke the next morning to find the parking lot filled with families that slept in their cars!   (Had I known, I would have rented a couch or the big tub!!). 
From there, I went to a museum and then headed to Huntsville and made a few stops on the way.  It was a great trip!! 

(Especially because Floyd changed course and didnt hit my town as expected!)

Now, When I see a storm even possible withing 5 days I make 3 reservations.  You can cancel most reservations the day before or by 6 on check in day (at least where I reserve).  If the storm ends up coming from the South, I head North. If coming toward the North, I head south, and if coming right at me, I go inland.   

Fortunately I have only had minor damage to my house from any storm that hit. 

But To answer YOUR Florida Question...

If close go to Disney World!  It is about the center of the state, and they have resources and with the toll roads around, good transportation (avoid I 4 and I75 if you can, but the Turnpike and Bee line are usually ok... Pay the Toll). 

If you are too far from Disney, you may be better off spending the money to bulk up your house.  Get great windows (or shutters), and get a reinforced garage door.  If you have external natural gas, a Generac will keep you powered, otherwise a small generator will keep you ok.

(I have a small, but quiet (Honda 2000) generator that is small and quiet, but powerful enough to run a window AC (which I have) a light or 2 and a TV.  Make sure it is outside the house, but it will help with recovery (more than during the storm).  As a former Boy Scout, I have enough camping cooking equipment to be able to heat things and clean dishes. 

Anyway, IF you can not evacuate, spend the money to better build your bunker (maybe see what it would take to reinforce the master bedroom, so that you will have a secure place to whether a strong storm, and not be on the road. 

(Last advice... buy a hand held can opener and know how to use it!)

Volhiker78

Clean has good advice.  I've been in Tampa 12 years now and have rode out a few hurricanes. Italia is next on the list. I haven't ever had to evacuate but have been without water/power for a stretch.  Universities associated with hospitals tend to be serviced first by the utilities so when we were without power at home, my family and I stayed at my office complex during the day. That provided showers/Wi-Fi/AC. 

Juvenal

Living in the NY Metro area, I remember "Gloria;" I remember "Sandy."  I was born on the day of the Great Atlantic Hurricane of 1944 (recall faint); My first hurricane recall was "Hazel," of October of 1954.

For Sept/Oct frights, I now live well inland and a long way above possible storm surge.  If a tree comes down, so it does.  I sent my wishes for a non-vexing night to friends in Gainesville, FL, just now.
Cranky septuagenarian

mythbuster

It appears that Tallahassee and Valdosta go the worst of this one. Just shows that it's not all about the coast every time. I hope all of our colleagues in the Carolinas are also prepared, as Idalia still has a lot of energy as it marches up the states.

clean

Like an area that has not had an ice storm in a long, long time, there are a lot of weaker limbs and when they come down, they cause damage, and even when they dont hit anything important, the broken limbs take forever to get out of the way so that repairs can be made to the things that did get damaged! 

After Hurricane Hugo (I think) came though South Carolina, the damage to the trees and timber areas was severe! 

So yes, hurricanes are not strictly coastal problems!  Even tropical storm force winds in an inland area can be devastating.

I dont remember the names of the storms, but ones that come in from the Gulf and then get into the mountains in the Carolinas and such, cause huge flooding as all of that rain collects and runs downhill! 

apl68

Quote from: mythbuster on August 30, 2023, 10:10:33 AMIt appears that Tallahassee and Valdosta go the worst of this one. Just shows that it's not all about the coast every time. I hope all of our colleagues in the Carolinas are also prepared, as Idalia still has a lot of energy as it marches up the states.

My brother and his wife live in inland South Carolina.  Though I doubt they have much flood risk where they are, they could face wind damage.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.