News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Bachelor President

Started by kaysixteen, September 18, 2023, 07:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

WaPo ran an interesting piece last week regarding GOP pres candidate Sen. Tim Scott-- I did not know that Scott, 57, a fervent evangelical, is also a lifelong childless bachelor, just like his SC colleague, Lindsey Graham.  The article/ opinion piece floored me, because of 2 related points: 1) the serious question raised by many GOP primary voters in places like Iowa, as to whether it would even be legitimate to vote for a lifelong childless bachelor, for President (article author did her research and pointed out several things said about Grover Cleveland during his initial pres campaign (he got married two years into his term), suggesting that this is actually a strong thing in American history), and 2) the innuendo that fervent evangelical Scott might well be homosexual, a view several voters surveyed, Repubs and Dems alike, seemed to take for granted ( I do know about the longstanding view in and around SC that Graham is gay, but 1) I have only heard this about Graham, at best a nominal Southern Baptist, and 2) whatever one thinks of homosexuality, it of course would be hypocritical for fervent evangelical Scott to be one, esp as he and some of his quoted surrogates seem to be saying that he has a girlfriend, whose identity he refuses to divulge).  Thoughts?

Wahoo Redux

Well, we elected a malignant narcissist rapist who cannot legally operate a charity in New York and attempted to overthrow the government and a First Lady whose nudes are on the internet for anyone to see.

We really can't do much worse.

All I want from my politicians is for them to competently and ethically do their jobs and leave me alone.  I would prefer that the POTUS not embarrass the United States or the office (as Clinton did) or turn the presidency into a debacle (as Bush and Drumpf did).  Otherwise I could care less about their personal lives, bachelor or whatever.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 18, 2023, 07:22:22 PM1) the serious question raised by many GOP primary voters in places like Iowa, as to whether it would even be legitimate to vote for a lifelong childless bachelor, for President (article author did her research and pointed out several things said about Grover Cleveland during his initial pres campaign (he got married two years into his term), suggesting that this is actually a strong thing in American history)

What on earth is the chain of argument undergirding that idea? I mean, I know morons will moronate, but why do they think the rest of us should care? Do they even have anything resembling reasons?
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Whether he's gay or asexual or just awkward with women, I doubt it will fly with Republican voters in the primary or with independents in the general election. Presumably that is why he keeps mentioning that he has a girlfriend and was engaged once upon a time - although the WaPo article sure makes it seem like neither of these claims are true.

ciao_yall

Senator Scott is also against sex outside of marriage, so presumably he is a virgin.

Not like I care one way or the other, but would he be the first virgin President?

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 19, 2023, 07:58:52 AMSenator Scott is also against sex outside of marriage, so presumably he is a virgin.

Not like I care one way or the other, but would he be the first virgin President?

Now THAT is something THAT I CANNOT vote for!!!

No VIRGINS in the White House.  They are not like normal people.  NO, absolutely NOT, library reading rooms, that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

spork

As Trump demonstrated, evangelicals will vote for whoever promises to give them political power. Sexual orientation doesn't matter. But a gay White man like Graham stands a better chance of winning their votes than a gay Black man. If it were 1860, they might have even voted for Lincoln, our first gay President.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

waterboy

Honestly, politics has gone waaaay downhill ever since someone asked Clinton "Boxers or briefs?". Who gives a FF?
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: waterboy on September 19, 2023, 11:39:57 AMHonestly, politics has gone waaaay downhill ever since someone asked Clinton "Boxers or briefs?". Who gives a FF?

Have you not heard the tape of Johnson ordering pants from his tailor?
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 19, 2023, 02:02:40 PM
Quote from: waterboy on September 19, 2023, 11:39:57 AMHonestly, politics has gone waaaay downhill ever since someone asked Clinton "Boxers or briefs?". Who gives a FF?

Have you not heard the tape of Johnson ordering pants from his tailor?

Best. Nine. Minutes. Ever.

kaysixteen

Random points:

1) Scott clearly does not want to be married.   He is a US senator-- he could easily have found a wifey if he had the notion to do so.

2) That said, there really is no actual evidence that he is homosexual.  Whatever one thinks of homosexuality, assuming that a middle-aged lifelong childless bachelor is a closeted gay is not acceptable.   Obviously, as a fervent evangelical, it would be hypocritical of him to be such, but until and unless any such evidence materializes, well... you see, ah, errr, ahem...

3) I am only 2 years his junior, and in the same lifelong childless bach situation, and I get it.   Evangelicals reallllllyyyyy like marriage, and usually at an age much closer to 20 than 50.   I have dealt with this issue myself, esp during my decidedly unedifying year working at the evangelical school in Tampa (this was 2004-4. and I only turned *37* that year).  There are historical reasons for this, one of which is a by-product of the (general but not ubiquitous) view of evangelicals that their pastors should not be lifelong bachelors (at least part of the reason for this likely being an overreaction to RCC celibacy).   And this issue does not get better for the lifelong bachelor, with age.

Sun_Worshiper

There is nothing wrong with not having children or getting married. Different people want different things. But it probably makes the road to the presidency more difficult - particularly for Republicans.

Kron3007

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 26, 2023, 09:55:10 PM2) That said, there really is no actual evidence that he is homosexual.  Whatever one thinks of homosexuality, assuming that a middle-aged lifelong childless bachelor is a closeted gay is not acceptable.   Obviously, as a fervent evangelical, it would be hypocritical of him to be such, but until and unless any such evidence materializes, well... you see, ah, errr, ahem...

Yes, and evangelicals are never hypocrytical....

There is a pretty solid list of homophobic republicans getting caught in the bathroom stall, if you know what I mean. 

This dosnt mean he is gay, but being evangelical or even homophobic dosnt prove otherwise.  I dont think it matters to most people, but unfortunately he and his base are not most people.

marshwiggle

A bit of context:
Record Number of Americans Have Never Married and Never Will

QuoteKey points
  • One out of four of today's 50-year-olds will have been single their whole lives.
  • Around the world, rates of marriage are declining and the percentages of people who get close to 50 without ever having married are increasing.
  • Half of all solo single people don't want a romantic relationship or even a date.
It takes so little to be above average.