News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your unpopular opinions

Started by Sun_Worshiper, September 25, 2023, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

"I'm pretty cool, Beavis, but even I can't change the future" is still one of my go-to lines, even if students just stare blankly at me when I say it.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Thursday's_Child

In honor of our current student loan fiascos, all graduation recessionals should be Va, pensiero.

Wahoo Redux

Collegiate and Olympic wresting is the greatest sport of all time.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

AmLitHist

little bongo

Cage has done some very good work, and some very committed bad work, so he generally has my respect.

I get a kick out of Billy Wilder's final film, Buddy Buddy.

Larimar

Quote from: AmLitHist on November 06, 2023, 06:56:24 AMI like Nicolas Cage.
Quote from: little bongo on November 06, 2023, 08:55:40 AMCage has done some very good work, and some very committed bad work, so he generally has my respect.

I liked National Treasure. The sequel is okay. Mr. Larimar is a historian and has worked at some of the sites related to the two films. He's amused at the historical interpretations of events.
Knowing was a bit too intense and creepy for me.
Those are the only ones Cage is in that I think I've seen.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Larimar on November 06, 2023, 04:29:21 PM
Quote from: little bongo on November 06, 2023, 08:55:40 AMCage has done some very good work, and some very committed bad work, so he generally has my respect.

I liked National Treasure. The sequel is okay. Mr. Larimar is a historian and has worked at some of the sites related to the two films. He's amused at the historical interpretations of events.

Cage is an incredibly talented actor, but he has made a ton of crappy movies, partly due to financial troubles that forced him to say yes to everything and partly because he seems to genuinely enjoy acting like a madman in low budget, b-movies.

Kron3007

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 06, 2023, 05:23:32 PM
Quote from: Larimar on November 06, 2023, 04:29:21 PM

Cage is an incredibly talented actor, but he has made a ton of crappy movies, partly due to financial troubles that forced him to say yes to everything and partly because he seems to genuinely enjoy acting like a madman in low budget, b-movies.

As do some of us.  If you have not yet seen Renfield, you really should.  It is pretty awesome.

I used to dislike Cage because he was in some horrible movies early on, but he has really grown on me.  I still don't like a lot of movies he is in, but He does such a broad range of movies and some a great.

kaysixteen

Seinfeld was, by its own cast/ producers' acknowledgement, a 'show about nothing'.   That 70s show, otoh, was a brilliant satire of 70s culture, esp, as Wahoo noted, in its first season.

Wahoo also makes a great point wrt the effects of what has befallen Masterson, on the show.   Reruns disappeared from IFC cable within a month of his 2020 indictment, whereas they had been showing it a ton for years before that, and it also disappeared from Netflix, apparently, last summer.  The DVD set was still available at Wallyworld as recently as the spring, however, and youtube is rife with significant clips from the show, many fan-generated compilations, however.   Another 'unpopular opinion' here would also be that, ahem, well, Masterson got hosed.   The judge, who obviously disagreed with the first jury's refusal to convict him (the foreman said after that trial that they were close to acquitting him on all counts, but some holdouts favored some convictions), rigged the second trial by changing two very important factors: 1) she allowed the prosecutors to claim in their closing arguments that Masterson had slipped the accusers with Mickeys, without the prosecutors having presented any evidence in their case, that Mickeys were given, let alone given by him, and especially 2) she allowed the prosecutors to make disparaging remarks about Masterson's religion, also, in said closing arguments.

secundem_artem

Gal Gadot is an appallingly bad actress.  She's always got an annoying smirk on her face and has this "aren't I cute?" way of presenting the character.  It's a fine line between her and Gwyneth as to who is the more annoying.

My favorite movie is contagion - Gwynnie dies a horrible death and I smile every time she crumps it.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

marshwiggle

It takes so little to be above average.

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Kron3007

marshwiggle

Quote from: Kron3007 on November 10, 2023, 06:38:19 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on November 09, 2023, 04:58:11 AMCannabis stinks.

Like literally? Figuratively? Both?

Literally. I have a particular dislike for the individuals who take the last drag of their joints outside, but then wait to exhale inside the elevator, so that everyone in  the building gets to "appreciate" the experience until the stench eventually dissipates.

NOBODY ELSE WANTS TO SMELL YOUR WEED!

Now back to our regular cortisol levels....
It takes so little to be above average.

Kron3007

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 11, 2023, 06:24:36 AM
Quote from: Kron3007 on November 10, 2023, 06:38:19 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on November 09, 2023, 04:58:11 AMCannabis stinks.

Like literally? Figuratively? Both?

Literally. I have a particular dislike for the individuals who take the last drag of their joints outside, but then wait to exhale inside the elevator, so that everyone in  the building gets to "appreciate" the experience until the stench eventually dissipates.

NOBODY ELSE WANTS TO SMELL YOUR WEED!

Now back to our regular cortisol levels....

Yeah, that's fair.  I think tobacco stank is far worse, but both are pretty pungent.