News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your unpopular opinions

Started by Sun_Worshiper, September 25, 2023, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

I am talking specifically about sweet potato pie. As far as I am concerned, that is it for the sweet potato (except for the classic candied sweet potato covered in brown sugar-again, yum).

Marshmallows even make smores worse.

apl68

I don't think a dry turkey is such a bad thing.  Although make sure I've got plenty of water to drink at the meal.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Sun_Worshiper

No holiday should be built around something so bland as Turkey. if we're celebrating then give me a steak.

jimbogumbo

Huge upvote for apl68 and the dry turkey. My wife hates it, but I adore it. Seriously.

But just us again this year. I may vote for fish.

fishbrains

Quote from: little bongo on November 14, 2023, 07:05:11 AMThe marshmallow-sweet potato dish has been something of a tradition for our family, with the youngest members getting to put the marshmallows on top before the stuff goes in the oven. I find the dish itself neither great nor horrible, but more important as a way for the little ones to contribute to the preparation in a fun way.

And thus the pernicious cycle of indoctrination continues . . .

:)
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

dismalist

Marshmallows? American food is children's food, in sweetness and texture.

We spent the first five years of our daughter's life in Italy. Her fourth word, after Mama, Papa, and more, was offives! She loved olives and has never touched a marshmallow.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ab_grp

I'm down with steak any time, but I also like a big old turkey leg with skin on at Thanksgiving.  You know what holiday meat can take a hike? Ham.  Especially ham with sweet goo on it!

ciao_yall

I'm a dark meat and crispy skin kind of gal.

ciao_yall

Quote from: apl68 on November 14, 2023, 10:21:57 AMI don't think a dry turkey is such a bad thing.  Although make sure I've got plenty of water to drink at the meal.

Roast it breast side down, on a rack. Bird is slightly misshapen but the breast meat is moist and perfect.

Wahoo Redux

AI is coming.
It will displace a lot of our jobs.  It make take over portions of our lives.

But in the end, AI might be better for us. 
I mean, the human species has made a pretty big muck of things for a long time now.  Maybe it's time for a brand new dominant paradigm. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 15, 2023, 03:46:51 PMAI is coming.

I mean, the human species has made a pretty big muck of things for a long time now.  Maybe it's time for a brand new dominant paradigm. 
The synchronicity is coming. SkyNet and Hal can go to hell. I will resist. Let me out of the Matrix too while we're at it!

onthefringe

Quote from: mythbuster on November 13, 2023, 02:14:25 PMThe best pumpkin I have ever had is the roasted pumpkin (Kaddo) from the Helmand Afghan restaurant. Outposts in Boston and San Francisco. It's the only time I ever say- be sure to get the pumpkin! Otherwise I can do without- even in pie form.

There was a Helmand in Baltimore when I was there and they also had an amazing Kaddo Borwani!

I also don't mind pumpkin bread, but pumpkin pie is definitely meh.

Anselm

Quote from: bio-nonymous on November 15, 2023, 04:28:53 PM

The synchronicity is coming. SkyNet and Hal can go to hell. I will resist. Let me out of the Matrix too while we're at it!

Isn't it The Singularity?
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Anselm on November 15, 2023, 08:49:00 PM
Quote from: bio-nonymous on November 15, 2023, 04:28:53 PM

Isn't it The Singularity?

That would be The Ray Kurzweil Singularity(TM), thank you very much!

And during covid, about 40% of people could work from home. The other 60% had to be physically present. So we're OK until the robots rise. That gives a little longer.

It takes so little to be above average.