News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your unpopular opinions

Started by Sun_Worshiper, September 25, 2023, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

Milk chocolate is the only good kind of chocolate.

Cranky septuagenarian

fishbrains

Pine nuts are overrated, pricey, make pesto taste bitter, and should be eliminated from all recipes.

And dill makes food taste like soap.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mythbuster

Fishbrains, I will see you on the pine nuts and raise you this:

The best pesto is made with parsley, rather than basil.

fishbrains

Quote from: mythbuster on September 30, 2023, 01:03:36 PMFishbrains, I will see you on the pine nuts and raise you this:

We're tabbouleh junkies with the parsley in our house. But you have planted a seed . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Kron3007

Quote from: mythbuster on September 30, 2023, 01:03:36 PMFishbrains, I will see you on the pine nuts and raise you this:

I will have to try this.  I love pesto but my wife hates basil (yes, she is insane).  I have a massive parsley plant in the garden with no real life goals, so this could be perfect.

Didn't know it was a thing.

ciao_yall

Dill tastes like moldy dirt. Pickles are really good, as long as they don't have dill in them.

Cilantro, on the other hand, is delicious.

spork

In a few decades, Obama will be regarded as a mediocre, mostly ineffective U.S. president.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: spork on October 02, 2023, 12:32:39 PMIn a few decades, Obama will be regarded as a mediocre, mostly ineffective U.S. president.

Mediocre: I think most are.

Ineffective: yes, with essentially one reason. Mitch McConnell, who by contrast was totally effective at achieving his stated goals.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Kron3007 on October 01, 2023, 04:37:42 AM

I will have to try this.  I love pesto but my wife hates basil (yes, she is insane).  I have a massive parsley plant in the garden with no real life goals, so this could be perfect.

Also works well made with arugula.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: spork on October 02, 2023, 12:32:39 PMIn a few decades, Obama will be regarded as a mediocre, mostly ineffective U.S. president.

Depends on who and what you compare him to.

45? 

Poor people who need insurance?

When the cloud of conservative propaganda finally settles to the dust?

We'll see.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 02, 2023, 07:34:52 PM

45? 

We'll see.

Healthcare reform is big, but it is probably his only major accomplishment (Iran deal and TPP were significant too, but obviously didn't last).

That said, he was symbolically important and he benefits from being book ended by two of the worst presidents.

Kron3007

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 02, 2023, 09:37:30 PM

45? 

We'll see.

Healthcare reform is big, but it is probably his only major accomplishment (Iran deal and TPP were significant too, but obviously didn't last).

That said, he was symbolically important and he benefits from being book ended by two of the worst presidents.

The lack of scandals stands out to me...

I think the Mitch McConnel comment is also spot on.  People often have an impression that the president has ultimate power, but with an obstructionist house/senate, their hands are tied pretty tight.

As for the Iran and TPP not lasting, those were largely intentional moves specifically taken to erase his legacy.  I guess it worked.

Kron3007

Quote from: Kron3007 on October 03, 2023, 03:21:52 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 02, 2023, 09:37:30 PM

45? 

We'll see.

The lack of scandals and relative stability stands out to me.  It is boring, but that is where the bar is now.

I think the Mitch McConnel comment is also spot on.  People often have an impression that the president has ultimate power, but with an obstructionist house/senate, their hands are tied pretty tight.  Even the healthcare bill, while a big step, was really watered down by the time it made it through.

As for the Iran and TPP not lasting, those were largely intentional moves specifically taken to erase his legacy.  I guess it worked, but this doesn't really speak to his job as president and is more about what happened after. 

sinenomine

Quote from: secundem_artem on October 02, 2023, 06:40:55 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on October 01, 2023, 04:37:42 AM

Also works well made with arugula.

And garlic scapes.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."