News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

It had been just a bit unseasonably cool.  Now the extended forecast suggest sweltering summer temperatures from here on out.  And lots of rain in the coming week.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Juvenal

Everybody talks about the weather, but I'm going to do something about it.  Just you wait!
Cranky septuagenarian

apl68

I guess Juvenal was successful in getting some excessive rain moved away.  Unfortunately it's now passing through our state instead.  Yesterday's weather report didn't seem to promise anything too bad here, though there were coming flood watches south of here.  Now the flooding has moved up here. 

During the hour that I was in a restaurant at a lunch meeting, the water in the section of the parking lot where I was parked rose several inches.  I got soaked all the way through up to my ankles just trying to get into my car!  A few minutes later, I came to a section on the town's main traffic artery where a large truck had stalled out in a flooded low spot.  Never seen that happen in that particular spot before.  City workers were standing in the rain routing vehicles up side streets to get around the mess.  I ran by the post office to mail a package and said that I hoped they had a boat to get the mail out of town.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

Hot. Currently 31 (87.8). Ugh.
I know it's a genus.

paultuttle

Quote from: Juvenal on May 05, 2023, 04:14:26 AM
Everybody talks about the weather, but I'm going to do something about it.  Just you wait!

OK, I want to see the swish and flick of that magic wand.

And remember, per Hermione, it's not "Wingardium Levio-SAH," it's "Wingardium Levi-OH-sah." See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgr4dcsY-60.

;)

(Is it obvious at this point that they'll marry each other later?? ROTFLMAO!)

Parasaurolophus

Encroaching smoke.

It's only May, for fuck's sake!
I know it's a genus.

kaysixteen

Those wildfires you have out there are actually sending at least some smoke all the way over here.   What exactly is causing them?

apl68

We've been having pretty ordinary summer heat and humidity for this region.  Which means it's pretty bad by most people's standards, although not what it could be (And probably will be at some points during the summer). 

After a couple of weeks of no rain--mostly welcome after such a wet spring--we've begun having those extremely localized, unpredictable showers that we sometimes have in the summer.  A couple of evenings ago we had lots of thunder with no rain right here in town.  Last night we eventually got a pretty good shower after much thundering.  The extended forecast didn't predict any of that.  It does predict chances of rain for the next several days.  We'll see.

Langue_doc

evil_physics_witchcraft

It is very hot and oppressive.

sinenomine

The Canadian wildfires have socked my area in smoke and haze. I'd normally enjoy the cool air and the opportunity to spend time in my garden and on my patio, but I'm wheezing even indoors. Icky.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Langue_doc

Hazy conditions are to continue through early tomorrow morning. According to the local weather forecast
QuoteAir quality levels in outdoor air are predicted to be greater than an Air Quality Index value of 100 for the pollutant of Fine Particulates. The Air Quality Index, or AQI, was created as an easy way to correlate levels of different pollutants to one scale. The higher the AQI value, the greater the health concern.

When pollution levels are elevated, the New York State Department of Health recommends that individuals consider limiting strenuous outdoor physical activity to reduce the risk of adverse health effects. People who may be especially sensitive to the effects of elevated levels of pollutants include the very young, and those with preexisting respiratory problems such as asthma or heart disease. Those with symptoms should consider consulting their personal physician.

A toll free air quality hotline has been established so New York residents can stay informed on the air quality situation. The toll free number is 1 800 5 3 5, 1 3 4 5.

See the NYT for details on other regions affected and also for an animated map:
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/06/07/us/canada-wildfires-air-quality-smoke

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I just came across a couple tweets with some crazy pics of NYC and Newark:

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1666487528164057116?s=20
https://twitter.com/breakingweather/status/1666488882680954881?s=20

There was also some mention of ground stops at EWR and LGA currently due to low or no visibility.  Sending more safe breathing wishes your way!

Langue_doc

Thanks, ab_grp! What I'm seeing outside my windows is the most surreal-looking daylight I've ever encountered. I'll probably stay home tomorrow as well.

hmaria1609

Not a great day to be outside here in the metro DC area--we have a Code Red Air Quality alert:
https://wtop.com/local/2023/06/see-it-smell-it-smoke-makes-for-poor-air-quality-in-dc-region/
Scroll past ad breaks to read full article.