News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

We have had moderate temperatures. I'm trying to hold out on using the car's A/C, enjoying the summer wind that comes with driving with windows rolled down.

apl68

When I checked the site just now I saw that the latest post on this forum was "`What's Your Weather?' by lightning."  Which seemed appropriate, especially since we've had thunderstorms in the area today.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Heat alerts are going out all over the region.  We're looking at triple-digit highs in the coming week, with humidity running the heat index higher.  Which is actually pretty much in the normal range for this time of year.  We're getting a series of dry days for a change.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Another storm yesterday.  Fortunately no damage done.  Today and for some days following we're looking at extreme heat.  The Fourth of July looks stormy in the extended forecast.

FishProf

Torrential downpours interspersed with cool and cloudy, which then ramps up in humidity, to another torrential downpour.

I am trying to thread the needle between bursts to get my students to and thru the zoo.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

sinenomine

Very humid here and warm enough to make it soupy and uncomfortable. I'm heading to campus to take advantage of the AC and because I'll be giving a talk later on today —- perhaps with a backdrop of lightning and thunder to entertain my listeners.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ab_grp

It is very hot here.  Hot and dry.  It got up near 110 the past few days but should only be 102 today, hopefully.  We are due (possibly) for a thunderstorm early next week that should at least push it down to the high 90s.  It's just that time of year, but it makes our 2x daily walks a little rough.  I'm glad not to have the humidity some of you have to suffer through.  Stay safe!

Anselm

Worst air quality I have ever encountered is happening this week due to the Canadian wildfires.  We have warnings to remain indoors as much as possible.  AQI is 140.  Yesterday with sunny skies we had a brown haze.  Everyone was talking about it.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Langue_doc

Hope forumites who live in the areas affected by the smoke from the wildfires are staying indoors.

QuoteMaps: Tracking Air Quality and Smoke From Canada Wildfires
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/us/smoke-maps-canada-fires.html

Chicago   Very Unhealthy   255
Detroit   Very Unhealthy   229
Pittsburgh   Unhealthy   196
Cincinnati   Unhealthy   194
Minneapolis   Unhealthy   175
Buffalo   Unhealthy   152
Philadelphia   Unhealthy for some   142
Washington, D.C.   Unhealthy for some   109
Nashville   Unhealthy for some   109
Baltimore   Moderate   90

Today's AQI is above 100 across NYS: https://www.dec.ny.gov/cfmx/extapps/aqi/aqi_forecast.cfm
Yesterday's was normal for most of the state: https://www.dec.ny.gov/cfmx/extapps/aqi/observed.cfm

FishProf

We managed to avoid actual rain at the zoo, but we did need to duck into the rainforest pavilion to get some drier air....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

hmaria1609

From WTOP Radio: It's Code Red Air Quality for the metro Baltimore/DC area tomorrow:
https://wtop.com/local/2023/06/code-orange-air-quality-as-smoke-from-canadian-wildfires-returns-to-dc-area/
Scroll past ad breaks to full article.
We had a sign on our front door at the library about the air quality (Code Orange) today. I'll definitely post the Code Red Air Quality sign when I get to the library tomorrow morning.

kaysixteen

Around here, June has been much colder than normal, and the last five days or so cloudy and humid, with on and off rain, much more like late April/ early May.

AmLitHist

We had bad air here Tuesday and yesterday; it's still smoky but somewhat better visibility today, with the addition of a forecast high of 100 degrees/115 heat index, along with the strong risk of a derecho. We desperately need the rain, but not the wind.

Langue_doc

Our AQI continues to be above normal levels. Yesterday's was unhealthy for us as well as for most of the state. Today's, although better than yesterday's, is still unhealthy for the elderly and people with respiratory issues.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/cfmx/extapps/aqi/aqi_forecast.cfm

Harlow2

Here it's been like looking at everything through a scrim of cheesecloth. The smell of smoke has come and gone each day.