Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on May 23, 2023, 05:04:05 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on May 23, 2023, 02:47:30 PM
Aaargh to the unexplained rate increase and determining that I am gender neutral.

It's OK.  Today I had to use a non-gender bathroom at a public library.  I hope no one noticed me smuggling my gender in with me.

Although it won't happen anytime soon, I expect that within my lifetime gender-separated restroom facilities will be declared unconstitutional. 
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on May 24, 2023, 06:46:58 AM
Quote from: FishProf on May 23, 2023, 05:04:05 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on May 23, 2023, 02:47:30 PM
Aaargh to the unexplained rate increase and determining that I am gender neutral.

It's OK.  Today I had to use a non-gender bathroom at a public library.  I hope no one noticed me smuggling my gender in with me.

Although it won't happen anytime soon, I expect that within my lifetime gender-separated restroom facilities will be declared unconstitutional.

If places go to single stall restrooms, like in private residences, it will solve the problem. (But will take up a lot more space.)
It takes so little to be above average.

fishbrains

1/2 days for students in elementary through high school just suck. Once you drop them off, you can't even get through your fourth beer before you have to go pick them up again. [Insert angry poop emoji]
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

FishProf

Quote from: fishbrains on May 24, 2023, 07:43:18 AM
1/2 days for students in elementary through high school just suck. Once you drop them off, you can't even get through your fourth beer before you have to go pick them up again. [Insert angry poop emoji]

Switch to shots.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ab_grp

Quote from: FishProf on May 24, 2023, 08:16:33 AM

Switch to shots.

Great minds...! (?)

fishbrains

Quote from: ab_grp on May 24, 2023, 08:34:05 AM

Switch to shots.

Great minds...! (?)

:)
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

FishProf

Quote from: fishbrains on May 24, 2023, 12:04:33 PM

Switch to shots.

Great minds...! (?)

It's right there in our names - drunk like us.

ab_grp

Quote from: FishProf on May 25, 2023, 03:35:54 AM

Switch to shots.

Great minds...! (?)

I guess my only in is that I'm a Pisces.  ;-)

FishProf

Quote from: ab_grp on May 25, 2023, 07:32:47 AM
Quote from: FishProf on May 25, 2023, 03:35:54 AM

Switch to shots.

Great minds...! (?)

I guess my only in is that I'm a Pisces.  ;-)

That'll do.

AmLitHist

ALHS's long-awaited knee replacement scheduled for today has been cancelled. While at wound care yesterday for a skin tear on the arm (healing nicely, and Knee Surgeon was OK with it as it's nearly completely healed), the doc looked at a toe that had been hurting and bleeding for a couple of days.  Removed a callus, opened and treated a wound to assure it doesn't get worse.* Wound Care doc said to be sure to let Knee Surgeon know ASAP--some surgeons would go ahead, but others are picky and would cancel. Ours is one of the latter.

Now we have to get the toe completely healed, then let Knee Surgeon know, then see if all the pre-op testing can be re-used or has to be redone (it's supposed to be good for 30 days only), then reschedule, which will probably take another 2 months, as this one took.

Obviously, we'd rather postpone, rather than take the chance at picking up an infection while in the hospital, but . . . . <insert string of profanities of choice here>.

Of course, the toe looks much better already this morning. (Of course it does.) Had we not said anything, though, Murphy says ALHS would have awoken with a massive infection and high fever.  And a week from today I get my x-ray to see if my broken foot is healing (the increasing pain and swelling says, "no"), so I totally expect to need my own surgery for that. That's just how things seem to work around here.

So, there's a reason for those anxiety attacks.
----
* A toe doesn't sound like much, but several years ago ALHS had a similar "minor" issue with another toe that turned into a nasty infection requiring ~6 months of daily IV antibiotic therapy plus hyperbaric oxygen treatments to clear up. Better safe than sorry, etc.

ETA:  Lest I do absolutely nothing but bitch every time I come on the fora:  it looks like my third online class for summer (which has been holding with very low enrollment all this time) might actually make. It won't be all that much extra work, and I can always use the extra money and boost to my earnings for pension purposes.  So there's that, at least--fingers crossed.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 01, 2023, 06:09:06 AM
ALHS's long-awaited knee replacement scheduled for today has been cancelled. While at wound care yesterday for a skin tear on the arm (healing nicely, and Knee Surgeon was OK with it as it's nearly completely healed), the doc looked at a toe that had been hurting and bleeding for a couple of days.  Removed a callus, opened and treated a wound to assure it doesn't get worse.* Wound Care doc said to be sure to let Knee Surgeon know ASAP--some surgeons would go ahead, but others are picky and would cancel. Ours is one of the latter.

Now we have to get the toe completely healed, then let Knee Surgeon know, then see if all the pre-op testing can be re-used or has to be redone (it's supposed to be good for 30 days only), then reschedule, which will probably take another 2 months, as this one took.

Obviously, we'd rather postpone, rather than take the chance at picking up an infection while in the hospital, but . . . . <insert string of profanities of choice here>.

Of course, the toe looks much better already this morning. (Of course it does.) Had we not said anything, though, Murphy says ALHS would have awoken with a massive infection and high fever.  And a week from today I get my x-ray to see if my broken foot is healing (the increasing pain and swelling says, "no"), so I totally expect to need my own surgery for that. That's just how things seem to work around here.

So, there's a reason for those anxiety attacks.
----
* A toe doesn't sound like much, but several years ago ALHS had a similar "minor" issue with another toe that turned into a nasty infection requiring ~6 months of daily IV antibiotic therapy plus hyperbaric oxygen treatments to clear up. Better safe than sorry, etc.

ETA:  Lest I do absolutely nothing but bitch every time I come on the fora:  it looks like my third online class for summer (which has been holding with very low enrollment all this time) might actually make. It won't be all that much extra work, and I can always use the extra money and boost to my earnings for pension purposes.  So there's that, at least--fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear it ALH. Anxiety is not fun. I've had panic attacks and they suck the big one. I hope you and ALHS are on the mend soon! Well, a third class is some extra $........

Langue_doc

Sending you good thoughts, ALH.

My vents: I've been sick, mainly because of an allergic reaction to the sandblasting of a small driveway across the street by the new neighbor who bought the property. The blasting and dumping have been happening for over a week now so the street and cars are covered with a layer of dirt. To paraphrase Lady Macbeth, who would have thought that such a small driveway could spew so much dirt for so many days in a row?

Just a week ago, I noticed that someone had keyed my car all along the passenger side. I hope perdition rains on the person who did so.

I've also been dealing with billing issues from an ER visit in February. Despite the bill having been paid in full by the insurance carriers and by me, I keep getting bills. I bumped this up to our elected representative whose office is now handling the bill.

Parasaurolophus

I have been informed that I must remove my things from my office to make room for new faculty. The office assistant sent me pictures of my stuff, telling me to move it 'soon' in preparation for the fall or they'd bin it.

As far as I know, I have not been fired. My contract was just renewed at a higher grade. I am slated to teach in the fall and winter, including in person. And no mention has been made of sending me to some other office.

So...?

EDIT: Nope, I just got bumped and no longer have an office. It was already a shared office, and several people have their own solo offices. Sigh. I'll certainly enjoy finding space somewhere to store all those books. <grumble>
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Second of the day: the non-faculty union is on the verge of striking. Apparently we (faculty) won't get paid for work already completed unless we "cross" a picket line every day, even though we aren't actually working at the moment.

This seems like a pretty shit deal. Had I known I'd be forgoing my prorated salary for the next month or two, I'd have liked not to complete the work I won't be paid for.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 05, 2023, 06:14:38 PM
Second of the day: the non-faculty union is on the verge of striking. Apparently we (faculty) won't get paid for work already completed unless we "cross" a picket line every day, even though we aren't actually working at the moment.

This seems like a pretty shit deal. Had I known I'd be forgoing my prorated salary for the next month or two, I'd have liked not to complete the work I won't be paid for.

Wait, how is this legal? Withholding pay you've already earned sounds like wage theft.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes