News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The vinhale thread?

Started by mamselle, May 22, 2019, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdnaMode

Recently everything has been annoying, between equipment problems in my lab, a new staff member not doing their job and trying to get faculty to do it instead by pleading ignorance that it was in fact their job, students getting on my last nerve by asking questions that could be answered by just reading the instructions posted on Canvas, etc. etc. etc. and on top of that had some family issues I was dealing with and I was starting to wonder if there was anything good or positive going on in the world or if everything was annoying and negative and complete sh*t.

So... today I received a confidential email telling me that a colleague I had nominated for an award he truly deserves had won that award and it will be presented to him next week at an official campus awards ceremony. They powers that be had to talk him into attending so he may have some inkling of what's up, but most likely he doesn't because he's quite modest and doesn't realize the impact he has on his colleagues and students. He sees it as "just doing his job." I truly wish I could be there to see him receive it but I have another obligation that evening. Will make sure to congratulate him the next time I see him after he receives it though.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mamselle

Good for you for maintaining positivity in the face of its opposite, and for being generous to a colleague and glad for them despite your own woes.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

EdnaMode

Quote from: mamselle on April 08, 2022, 09:23:03 AM
Good for you for maintaining positivity in the face of its opposite, and for being generous to a colleague and glad for them despite your own woes.

M.

Thanks! I was saying to myself this morning, 'Come on universe, show me one good thing, just one, that's all I need to get through this day.' It may sound silly, but just knowing that something good has happened for someone who is a great guy, makes everything just a wee bit better.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Harlow2

That's great, EdnaMode.

Inhale: collaborative project about which I had major concerns came together and is a big success.

Vent: I don't sleep when things are iffy, so I'm exhausted

Inhale: I will sleep well tonight, I'm sure.

mamselle

Vinhales are pilpels, like Tevye's 'one hand/other hand' discussions with God...

On the one hand, I'm in sort-of decent shape for the paper due to be given for Saturday's online conference.

On the other hand, they just told me they want our slide decks early.

On the one hand, that's fine, I can finish it and send it in and write the text around it, and revise until I give it, if needed.

On the other hand, I don't like feeling rushed and not being told in advance about this.

And, yet, still on the other hand, I know the organizer has a two-year-old cutting teeth, and me asking for special time-favors is just not the best way to go.

On the one hand, it will be good for me to have to do this early instead of sliding into 3rd base with the thumb drive held up in the dust.

On the other hand, I'm worried that, if, like last year, I discover a last-minute error the night before, that I was up fixing until 3 AM, I won't have that leeway this time.

On the other hand....there is no other hand.

Get 'er done.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Inhale:  I took a sick day today. 

Inhale:  I'm not sick, just didn't want to go in to the office (and students already had a scheduled work day).

Vent:  I spent the "sick" day, doing work (grading, putting presentations together).

Vent:  I should have not done a blessed thing on a day I was supposed to be "off."

Inhale:  The grading is caught up, and so are all my materials/presentations for the end of the semester, so I can coast for the next couple of weeks, aside from grading final submissions.

Inhale:  It's worth both burning the sick day and wasting it working, as opposed to having to deal with people in the office today.  All in all, it's been a good day!  :-)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Vent: I will be spending A LOT of money this month on my car and bee removal. I had to have my car towed today to my mechanic (I was going to drive it there for them to perform a service) because it wouldn't start. :(

Inhale: Hopefully these problems will be resolved. The tow guy got my car to turn over and offered to take it off the truck to save us money, but I paid him to take it since he helped us so much (and he gave us a discount!). The 'bee people' will hopefully be fixing the problem next week.

ergative

Absolutive and I have just put in an offer on a BEAUTIFUL apartment on a BEAUTIFUL street in a quiet, leafy neighborhood that's walking distance from his job and walking distance from fun, hopping shopping and the neighborhood library is better than our local library and there's a BEAUTIFUL park just up the street and judging by what's been going on with the other places we've considered bidding on, I think we might have overbid but we really, really want it, and we can comfortably afford what we offered because the neighborhood is so much cheaper than other places we've looked at, and maybe overbidding this much means the owner will just sell to us right away without waiting for better competing offers and maybe it will be accepted today and I'm a pile of nerves and I simply cannot concentrate on writing up these damn plagiarism referrals.

mamselle

Here's hoping with you!

M.

Puget

Quote from: ergative on May 30, 2022, 03:27:33 AM
Absolutive and I have just put in an offer on a BEAUTIFUL apartment on a BEAUTIFUL street in a quiet, leafy neighborhood that's walking distance from his job and walking distance from fun, hopping shopping and the neighborhood library is better than our local library and there's a BEAUTIFUL park just up the street and judging by what's been going on with the other places we've considered bidding on, I think we might have overbid but we really, really want it, and we can comfortably afford what we offered because the neighborhood is so much cheaper than other places we've looked at, and maybe overbidding this much means the owner will just sell to us right away without waiting for better competing offers and maybe it will be accepted today and I'm a pile of nerves and I simply cannot concentrate on writing up these damn plagiarism referrals.

Hope you get it!

To get through the wait, consider assuming you *won't* get it (aka defensive pessimism)-- When I bought my house three years ago neither I nor my agent thought my offer would be accepted, so when it was accepted without even a counter offer it was a thrilling surprise.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ergative on May 30, 2022, 03:27:33 AM

Sounds wonderful. Sending positive vibes.

ab_grp

ergative

WE GOT IT!!!

I also finished the plagiarism reports.

ab_grp

Quote from: ergative on May 30, 2022, 10:08:04 AM
WE GOT IT!!!

Hooray!!  Congratulations!

Puget

Quote from: ergative on May 30, 2022, 10:08:04 AM
WE GOT IT!!!

Congratulations!
I'm sure you're already moving and decorating in your mind--between that and all the details of completing the mortgage and closing, it is a very exciting but distracting and busy time.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes